10+ Year Old Account

"native resolution of console games"

Say the native resolution of a console game is 720p, and I have 420p tv. Will the game adapt to 420p or will I be playing the game in a weird distorted manner? Also does anyone know of a website that lists the native resolutions of console games?

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's a 360, Wii, or PS3 game, it says right on the back of the box what the resolution is. The 360 and PS3, I'm pretty sure, don't go any lower than 720p; 420 is just too archaic. Stop buying games and get a better TV! :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    If it's a 360, Wii, or PS3 game, it says right on the back of the box what the resolution is. The 360 and PS3, I'm pretty sure, don't go any lower than 720p; 420 is just too archaic. Stop buying games and get a better TV! :-P
    Sorry, but that is totally wrong information. Consoles use different connections or switches for HD and non-HD Tvs. The 360 has both a RCA Yellow video connection and an old school Red/Green/Blue HD connections. Both of which use the RCA Red/White connections for sound. On that cable there is a switch for HD and non-HD depending on your TV resolution.

The RCA yellow can only support old 320 non-HD and the R/G/B connection can support non-HD 420(for old digital, but non-HD, TVs) plus it supports HD 720 and 1080. All newer Xbox consoles also have a HDMI port that supports both 720 and 1080. When using the R/G/B connection for HD you can select your resolution from your menu options for 720 or 1080, depending on your TV. 480 was a resolution you saw on some of the last CRT TVs and some of the earliest flat screen TVs. Cables companies had special "digital" channels that you could tune into if you had one of those TVs.

The combination RCA and R/G/B cable comes stock with all 360s, but I'm pretty sure you have to purchase the HDMI cable separate if you want it. HD TVs make up something like only 50% of all TVs in the US, so Microsoft and Sony are not going to limit their potential customers by making their consoles only work on a HD TV.
    Last edited by Organoth; 2012-01-08 at 05:57 AM.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I just checked my 360 settings...there's a 420 option. /shudder I can't believe people still have TVs that old...
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

What you have then is an analog TV, in which the console you will be using on said TV will send an analog signal, and they are designed to be able to do this. The games will indeed work on your TV, that's why the systems all actually come with the RCA cables (RCA being your standard red, yellow, and white colored cables) vs HDMI/component cables which you have to get separately 95% of the time. I'm not an expert on any of this stuff, but it also depends on which console you have. I'm assuming it isn't the Wii, as it's pretty much made for analog TVs as it kind of looks like crap on a digital TV. As for 360 and PS3 systems, again, they'll be playable, they'll look 'right' but just don't expect to be blown away, your TV just isn't going to do that, of course. But regardless of the quality of the game in question, your games are pretty much going to look like last generation games (like ps2 or Xbox).

As for native resolutions of specific games, I'm really not sure, but it pretty much varies by game...but just because a game says 1080p on the back doesn't necessarily mean the game itself is made in 1080p.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2012-01-08 at 06:08 AM.

Yeah, I just checked my 360 settings...there's a 420 option. /shudder I can't believe people still have TVs that old...
    So you mean TVs that are like 10 years old?
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-01-08 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Organoth View Post
    The RCA yellow can only support old 320 non-HD and the R/G/B connection can support non-HD 420(for old digital, but non-HD, TVs) plus it supports HD 720 and 1080.
    You're not quite totally wrong, but implying that component video commonly supports 1080p is misleading at best. Most TVs won't support 1080p through component, and blu-rays just flat won't do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

I thought it went 360, 480, 720, 1080.

Where did 320 and 420 come from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Deleted
    I have a tv that old and the only thing i use the TV for is to play my xbox 360 or PS1 if nostaliga creeps up i dont see the point in getting a new tv just for playing consoles wich is realy rare now when my new pc can handle any game.

Shouldn't be a problem, I played the Xbox360 on a SDTV pretty fine, it looked better Wii, but still crap compared to a HDTV. That said, Xboxes and Playstations upscale anyway. Halo 3 for examples does not render at HD resolutions, it renders at 1152×640 and is then upscaled to either 720 or 1080p. And the same is true for a lot of games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    I thought it went 360, 480, 720, 1080.

Where did 320 and 420 come from?
    I think that's because of the aspect ratio. I believe most TVs are in 16:9 now. So that's 1080x1920 for HD. But if it's a 16:10 screen it's 1920x1200.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    What you have then is an analog TV, in which the console you will be using on said TV will send an analog signal, and they are designed to be able to do this. The games will indeed work on your TV, that's why the systems all actually come with the RCA cables (RCA being your standard red, yellow, and white colored cables) vs HDMI/component cables which you have to get separately 95% of the time. I'm not an expert on any of this stuff, but it also depends on which console you have. I'm assuming it isn't the Wii, as it's pretty much made for analog TVs as it kind of looks like crap on a digital TV. As for 360 and PS3 systems, again, they'll be playable, they'll look 'right' but just don't expect to be blown away, your TV just isn't going to do that, of course. But regardless of the quality of the game in question, your games are pretty much going to look like last generation games (like ps2 or Xbox).

As for native resolutions of specific games, I'm really not sure, but it pretty much varies by game...but just because a game says 1080p on the back doesn't necessarily mean the game itself is made in 1080p.
    Thanks for the info, when I meant "right" I meant the UI not being cut off, text not being horridly small etc.