Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaingo View Post
    My wife and I have played together in WoW since Day 1. So I am in your shoes. We have raided all content, and we both participate in all world events. We run a small guild, and we continue raiding to this day.

We started SW on Day 1, and I have really tried to like it as a true fanboy. It simply is NOT group friendly at this point in its life. The vast majority of all quests are solo oriented, unless the 2 of you roll the identical class. And honestly, who in their right mind does that?

Quests are very consuming and engaging with the NPCs that interact based on your feedback. Again, unless you laboriously work on syncing your quests together, AFTER level10, you will be playing solo. And a word of advice.....spacebar is your friend.

My question for you is simple. Do you enjoy actually "playing" with your wife doing quests and instances in WoW? If you do, this game is not for the 2 of you.
    Sry i didn't want to respond to this, but you make some wild statements. "The vast majority of all quests are solo oriented" isn't this the case with WoW as well? There are Heroic 2 and 4 man where you are encouraged to group. The story quests are solo oriented yes but they are so few and you can set the preference so that all your group members can join you on your class quest (they are just spectators thou). There are 2 starting planets for force and non-force users.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

The game has it's ups and downs. The Questing/Storyline is 100x better than WoW and you feel connected to your character, it feels like you're accomplishing something instead of kill 7 boars, loot 5 of these, etc. Every class has their own combat companion, you can choose from dps, tank or healing to simplify leveling or for a certain situation. There are numerous bugs, but Bioware intends to push out weekly bug fix patches to address the bugs. I haven't done the Operations (raids) yet, but the Flashpoints (dungeons) were interesting and had some new mechanics you don't see in WoW. Combat feels slow and clunky in SWTOR, that is my biggest complaint, the GCD is entirely too long.

Quote Originally Posted by mirodin View Post
    Sry i didn't want to respond to this, but you make some wild statements. "The vast majority of all quests are solo oriented" isn't this the case with WoW as well? There are Heroic 2 and 4 man where you are encouraged to group. The story quests are solo oriented yes but they are so few and you can set the preference so that all your group members can join you on your class quest (they are just spectators thou). There are 2 starting planets for force and non-force users.
    It is hard to comprehend for someone that has never played duo with a spouse. However, you do know full well how the questlines run thru level 10, and then to differring worlds based on your class quests. This alone makes it terribly hard to coordinate doing the same thing at the same time. And for many couples playing the game, being in sync with your spouse or friend is almost required to prevent issues. To make that more simple, you don't want to be level 25 when your wife is 19.

Now, with Heroic 2 and 4 man quests, those don't even have to be done in groups. Companions make up for that void in a huge way if you understand the concept of gearing and improving their uses.

You are incorrect in regards to WoW. The only time you are seperated is at the initial load into the game. At that point, couples can meet at a specific zone, and duo level from there. There are no class specific quests during the WoW leveling time.

In all reality, they are 2 different games. SW is not nearly as accessible as WoW is, and the easy excuse is that BW is new to this. Their developers had way too much time to not see this issue for couples playing together. IMO, it is a glorified console game that allows the occasional groupings.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is hard to comprehend for someone that has never played duo with a spouse. However, you do know full well how the questlines run thru level 10, and then to differring worlds based on your class quests. This alone makes it terribly hard to coordinate doing the same thing at the same time. And for many couples playing the game, being in sync with your spouse or friend is almost required to prevent issues. To make that more simple, you don't want to be level 25 when your wife is 19.

Now, with Heroic 2 and 4 man quests, those don't even have to be done in groups. Companions make up for that void in a huge way if you understand the concept of gearing and improving their uses.

You are incorrect in regards to WoW. The only time you are seperated is at the initial load into the game. At that point, couples can meet at a specific zone, and duo level from there. There are no class specific quests during the WoW leveling time.

In all reality, they are 2 different games. SW is not nearly as accessible as WoW is, and the easy excuse is that BW is new to this. Their developers had way too much time to not see this issue for couples playing together. IMO, it is a glorified console game that allows the occasional groupings.
    No they don't. When you get off Korriban or Hutta, you go to droumud kaas, balmorra, nar shadda, tattoine, alderaan, taris, quesh and thats as far as I've gotten so far. This was exactly the same on both Bounty Hunter and Sith Inquisitor. Republic has a different order I believe.

Furthermore Companions will not let you 2 man a heroic 4 man quest. They stand in shit and die. They dont heal enough or dps enough. You may be able to get away with 3 men and a companion for a heroic 4 man but thats about it. Actually that's really not even relevant. The quests are labeled 2 man and require to 2 man or 1 man/1 cpu or whatever. If youd rather do them with your companion than your husband thats your perogative.

Thank you for your uniformed opinions about the game, Ill make sure and file them away with everything else thats been said on this forum.

Edit 1: Confirmed with SW and IA in my guild they went through the same order as well. Some quests may ask them to go back to planet A at one point to turn something in or grab somethingo but they always return to the same progression path.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-01-08 at 08:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

TBh you are just seeing what you want to see, and sorry to tell you this but you are wrong. The same thing that happens in WoW happens in SW. Example different starting zones, but instead of race they are separated by class. If your wife chooses to start as a Blood Elf and you chose Orc then you won't be at the same starting area, same is for SW if you play Inqusitor and she plays bounty Hunter the starting planets will be different, but if you play BH and Imperial Agent then you start at the same planet and can quest together. So no your statement is wrong, the games are the same in that regard. You can't solo 4 man heroic quests with your ocompanion alone ( unless you are a stealth class and the quest is just click this), and after lvl 10 the champion mobs get enrage timer and they hit harder so they are hard to do with just your companion alone.

After level 10 you always go to the same places so i don't see how its different from WoW. I would ask you to stop spreading false information.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

If you are burned out from MMOs, then SWTOR will not be any different...

The leveling process is EXTREMELY grindy and boring (linear story, all quests are identical, skills are not new or innovative at all).
    The endgame is nonexistent atm.

The future for this game looks bleak unless BioWare begins to fix a lot of key issues w the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Um... ive lvl'd with my wife the entire time.. Besides the starter plantet which is the first 10 lvls we have been together the whole time. There are rare occasions where you are sent to go talk to this guy or that or maybe take a 10 min side quest to differing planets for your class quest but those are very few and far between. The VAST majority of the time as in 99% of quests and even class quests are on the same planet so... yeah. So far its been a blast to lvl up with the wife.

I see a lot of people saying oh you enjoy the game and arent on here trashing it so you must be a "enthusiast" I very much enjoy the game but I am not blind nor do I ignore the issues it has. However I am contented and secure in playing this game because I see them responding to issues at a very fast pace and rolling out patches so frequently that to say that they arent bustin there ass to improve and support this game you either have to be a troll or blind.

The game is very fun. It has its issues but as for the OP's questions I was very much burnt out on WoW and my wife hates the Star Wars movies and swore she would never play this game but she now loves it and we have really been enjoying it together. I would very much recommend it to you and your wife. Its very fun and you will find the heroic 2 quests (meant for two people and their companions) right up the alley of a couple that plays together like me and my wife. Couple that with a good guild and you will be having a blast.

---------- Post added 2012-01-08 at 03:51 PM ----------

Did you actually play this game? Some of the comments on here are by some either very misinformed people who never played or people who couldn't be arsed enough to actually see what you can do with the game because they came into it wanting to see what they wanted to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Life View Post
    Hey All,

My Wife and I play WoW, and at the moment we're pretty burnt out from the game. I'm constantly thinking about the days of Vanilla I miss so much... and for some reason I can't stop thinking about Naxxramas 40man and how much I loved it compared to the lazy garbage that is Dragon Soul... sigh...

but anyway, let's not start a thread about that nonsense. We're considering getting SWTOR either as a WoW replacement or simply as another thing to spend time on now and then. I had a couple questions about the game, hopefully some of you who are already playing can answer:

1. What are you general thoughts on how long the game will "last" (i.e. be relevant)? Is this something that an average gamer will play about 2-3 months, or does it have enough quality to merit years of playing? Basically, given the current knowledge, do you see this being like WoW, or flaming out rather quickly like Age of Conan?

2. How fun is the game's equivalent of raiding? My understanding was that it's 8 players for a raid. Is this the largest available? Opinions on boss fights (difficulty + fun)?

3. Considering how similar that I've heard it is to WoW, is the game going to be enough to get excited about if WoW is already seeming unbelievably dull and stale? i.e. If you're sick and tired of WoW, is this the kind of game that you can login to and feel refreshed and excited to play?

Basically, as I've already said, we're just burnt out at the moment, and I really want to have that invigorating feeling of fun again from a video game. I'm wondering if SWTOR is a potential cure, or if I need to wait for another MMO.

Thanks, and feel free to give any other input regarding the game as well!
    Point 1= That's a bit subjective and as well depends on the polish and commitment of the developers from here on. My take on it would be that they may desire years of players sticking with it but they've alot to work on to ensure that. Wow essentially if you looked at just the first month or too the same lack of confidence and unsurity existed.

Point 2= Currently raiding is best defined as different but similar. Remember raiding wasnt all it was cracked up to be at the very very start of wow either. As for challenge and complexity? Its not really there. I would argue if that's what you're really looking for, and you're already burned out from wow, then you're sorta setting yourself up for an unrealistic disappointment.

Point 3= I would argue its dissimilar to wow. Best game I can say it is extremely similar to would be Mass Effect 2(and very obviously so) from a general feel look and game play stand point.

However, where currently swtor I give decent credit to, is the leveling mission stories and developement. This will feel very different to you. You'll also be pleasantly suprised with how the flashpoints are voiced (as everything else) and allow for each member in the group to win rolls on if their dialog choice is used for the cutscenes. If you just want to play a movie game, for 50 levels and mess around with the rest, you'll not be disappointed. If your burned out self is looking to burn yourself out from expectations of massively engaging raiding and over critiquing of comparison to wow, then you should move on from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Furthermore Companions will not let you 2 man a heroic 4 man quest. They stand in shit and die. They dont heal enough or dps enough.
    Some you can, some you can't. It's far from impossible with some patience and thought through tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by abovebeyond View Post
    The leveling process is EXTREMELY grindy and boring (linear story, all quests are identical, skills are not new or innovative at all).
    The endgame is nonexistent atm.

The future for this game looks bleak unless BioWare begins to fix a lot of key issues w the game.
    trololololol