Poll: Should Scotland become independant?

Page 1 of 73
... LastLast

Scottish Independance

http://www.wessexscene.co.uk/politic...-independence/

For those that don't know basically the current leading political party in Scotland; the Scottish National Party, have promised to hold a referendum towards the end of their term in 2014. They have promised that they will do it when they feel it is the right time to do so and what this means is that they will cut all ties with the British Government and will operate as a sovereign nation.

Naturally parliament are opposed to such an idea and stated how both England and Scotland have a somewhat symbiotic relationship with both economies necessary to help the other. Also they have claimed that this is something that the Scottish people don't truly want, it's simply the Scottish National Party pushing their agenda onto people.

How do you feel if Scotland was to break away from the United Kingdom and become completely independent?

10+ Year Old Account
    It might spark a renewed interest in Braveheart.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    i guess if the people of scotland really want to be come independent, they should have that chance. but would scotland benefit from going independent. would their economy become stronger or weaker?

10+ Year Old Account
    Just what Europe needs, more tiny fiscally insolvent nations!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    We'd be fine. Probably revert back to the days of drinking all day and stabbing/pillaging at night. Just like Glasgow on a Saturday night but more widespread.
    Skullmaster - Slathe - Duat - Tamriel

Absolutely everything happens for a reason - Omnia Causa Fiunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    this reminds me of a song by the Proclaimers
    forget the name of the song, but the album is sunshine on leah
    "the next time she might vote, aye so might the others, but time's running out pal, they're giving up in numbers"

more Irish than Scottish though...but heh, it felt like it belonged.

i voted stay part of the UN but more powers to the scottish gov't.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Deleted
    It would be a great idea actually! Then finally the UK... well what's left of the UK, assuming Northern Ireland will still remain inside after they see the scotts made it, so the UK will see they can't get along alone in life. And so will Scotland. And maybe then they will actually think of a more united UE.

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted option 3. I'm Scottish and agree that financially, it's not a great idea. I know plenty of people that want independence up here so I don't think the argument that it's not what we want is valid. I would say that there's more people wanting it than don't, but not a majority. It might just be a way for the SNP to push their agenda onto people, but judging by polls / votes / general opinion, I wouldn't be surprised to see independence actually happening.

Suddenly... the union jack revised

Anyway, doesnt Scotland recieve loads of money from England which is why people go to university for free there among other things?

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be perfectly honest, Scotland should be independent. When the referendum comes I will be voting in favour of it. I have been presented no evidence that Scotland definitely needs the Union or the Union definitely needs Scotland, no evidence that Scotland lives on subsidies from the UK parliament that Daily Mail readers love to call 'English taxpayer's money'. I have seen no evidence that, if independence is the result, Edinburgh will turn into Mogadishu or another associated shithole.

Also, Salmond has a degree in economics. There's a fair chance he knows what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i guess if the people of scotland really want to be come independent, they should have that chance. but would scotland benefit from going independent. would their economy become stronger or weaker?
    The Scottish government believe that by becoming independent they will become a lot strong economically and have stated they would be the worlds 6th largest economy. However it is believed that they are simply being ambitious and are being a little naive, as they don't have that many strong economic ties outside of some parts of Europe.

I suppose the aim of the separation isn't necessarily to do with economics even though it is mentioned a lot, it's simply a matter of principle for the Scottish National Party. They simply want to be independent even if their isn't much a of mandate for it, they want full control of their policies.

In my opinion I do think their economy would suffer substantially and while I do think it could work as a sovereign nation it wouldn't be beneficial from any aspect for either the Scottish people or British government.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Just what Europe needs, more tiny fiscally insolvent nations!
    As a nationalist surely you must understand their reasons

Wouldn't this be like... the fifth.. or sixth time that Scotland has tried this? The last three times I'm pretty sure they willingly just sold themselves back into the great United Kingdom. The other times they had their leader's heads cut off, or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Suddenly... the union jack revised<snip>
    Haha good one

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Anyway, doesnt Scotland recieve loads of money from England which is why people go to university for free there among other things?
    Yes they do but that's only because the Scottish government don't have economic powers per say. Independence would allow them to tax people/corporations as they see fit like any other nation. The only reason university is free is because they decided that university access is more important than other things in the budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    Haha good one

Yes they do but that's only because the Scottish government don't have economic powers per say. Independence would allow them to tax people/corporations as they see fit like any other nation. The only reason university is free is because they decided that university access is more important than other things in the budget.
    Money can't be 'received from England' because the UK is one country. This is the Unionist view on it.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

Deleted
    I'm happy for Scotland to have total independance.

Divvying up the military is going to be a bit of a touchy subject though...

Europe really needs to get out of the mindset that these tiny dots on a map should be considered countries. =\

Mod Warning: Post more constructively!
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2012-01-08 at 06:21 PM.

Scotland can have a vote for 'freedom' if Westminster allows it (legally westminster are the only ones who can decide).

In all honesty i doubt Alex Salmond has any sort of clue what he would do if the day actually came for Scottish independance. Does he intend to have a new Scottish army or adopt a more Swiss approach to things? What about enregy are you going to build a new infrastructure or stay with the national grid? Are you going to operate an open border? Are you going to set up your own overseas embassies? I haven't heard his opinion on any of these topics. Then again i am from England so it may have passed me by.
    Last edited by Activi-T; 2012-01-08 at 05:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Europe really needs to get out of the mindset that these tiny dots on a map should be considered countries. =\
    Why?

/10chars.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/independenc...011518289.html

Finally found this article from May.

EDIT: Oh Bugger hell, check this. "Q is for the Queen. She would remain as Head of State."
    Complete independence, aye?
    Last edited by Rend Blackhand; 2012-01-08 at 05:23 PM.