Page 1 of 3
LastLast

SWTOR relevant to the movies?

this has prob been answered before so sorry for the repost ahead of time but couldn't find it.

When does SWTOR take place movie wise? Like before the story of the movies or during or after?

Im one of those people that hasn't watched the movies or read the book but in love with the game. I plain on buying the movies soon and just would like to know if the game is in any relevant to the movies.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    approximately 3200-3500 years before the movies.

Thousands of years before the events of the movies

Deleted
    Plotwise it may as well be a different universe, but if you watch the movies you'll notice a lot of effort has gone into "synchronising" the lore of the game with the films.

The offhand comments of the characters are usually represented in the game, eg:

Obi Wan says - "the wastes of Jundland are not to be travelled lightly", and Jundland is one of the sub zones of Tatooine in the game, or Luke says he used to "bulls eye womp rats back home" when talking about the Death Star mission; womp rats being one of the mobs you fight there. Just two random examples I hit upon while re-watching A New Hope. They must have paid someone to sit through each film and make a list of all the random crap the characters come up with so they could fit it into the game

Thanks guys for the reply's

Quote Originally Posted by Zotan View Post
    Plotwise it may as well be a different universe, but if you watch the movies you'll notice a lot of effort has gone into "synchronising" the lore of the game with the films.

Obi Wan says - "the wastes of Jundland are not to be travelled lightly", and Jundland is one of the sub zones of Tatooine in the game, or Luke says he used to "bulls eye womp rats back home" when talking about the Death Star mission; womp rats being one of the mobs you fight there. Just two random examples I hit upon while re-watching A New Hope. They must have paid someone to sit through each film and make a list of all the random crap the characters come up with so they could fit it into the game
    Don't forget that the Deathstar actually blows Alderaan to pieces in one of the movies and you visit the planet in the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    Don't forget that the Deathstar actually blows Alderaan to pieces in one of the movies and you visit the planet in the game.
    Thats one of the more major things, theres also the guy that adopts Leia - Senator Organa. You interact with House Organa when you visit Alderaan in game (either fighting or working with them).

Deleted
    Thats one of the more major things, theres also the guy that adopts Leia - Senator Organa. You interact with House Organa when you visit Alderaan in game (either fighting or working with them).
    Aye, there's quite a few enjoyable little moments when you see or recognise things. I remember one of the guys you talk to for the BH quests, a mandalorian who has the surname Fett. That made me happy.

I am not sure how you could not know this if you play the game OP. Have you never once been to www.swtor.com ?

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    I am not sure how you could not know this if you play the game OP. Have you never once been to www.swtor.com ?
    That site/forums has more trolls than a bridge in a fairy tale. Won't catch half the people going there ever.
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by Muriko View Post
    That site/forums has more trolls than a bridge in a fairy tale. Won't catch half the people going there ever.
    Um, the lore and history video and explanations on stuff are on the main site, not the subsite with the forums. Everything can be learned without even clicking a forum/community page link.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinesun View Post
    Um, the lore and history video and explanations on stuff are on the main site, not the subsite with the forums. Everything can be learned without even clicking a forum/community page link.
    Its kinda hard when Ive never watched the movies and still new the game in general. the only thing I know about star wars is Luke skywalker, Darth Vader and the death star. Thats about the only things I know about or have herd. So yeah I dont know much about the series so thats why I asked because I do plain on watching the movies. & I rarely go to the site.

Han to luke: You look strong enough to pull the ears off a gundark. - Gundarks are on dromund kaass .. duno how han knows about them.. smuggler on a sith homeworld??

Leia to Han: Why you stuck up scruffy looking Nerf hearder. - Nerfs are on alderaan (this makes sence since she grew up there) large bovine type creature.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arteous View Post
    Han to luke: You look strong enough to pull the ears off a gundark. - Gundarks are on dromund kaass .. duno how han knows about them.. smuggler on a sith homeworld??
    Smuggler on a sith homeworld makes as much sense as a Bounty Hunter on a republic homeworld, to be honest. It makes 100% sense. Smugglers and Bounty Hunters are typically independant, and Han might have smuggled Sith items before. Not much of a stretch really.

Deleted
    The Sith Empire would have long been destroyed by Han's time.

Quote Originally Posted by SWTORJohnny View Post
    Its kinda hard when Ive never watched the movies and still new the game in general. the only thing I know about star wars is Luke skywalker, Darth Vader and the death star. Thats about the only things I know about or have herd. So yeah I dont know much about the series so thats why I asked because I do plain on watching the movies. & I rarely go to the site.
    My reply was contextually more for muriko's comment but works just the same for you. The official website has a ton of lore explanations, time line stuff etc.

Also there's various other sites that have wiki's on swtor stuff and lore.

But if you play the game first then move on to the movies, it'll feel a bit wierd since the movies are so far in the future of the lore and the reasons why the force users are as they are by that time will make you wonder why(ie there's other games, various media and lore in between the time of swtor and and SW episodes 1-6.

1. The movies have places that some you'll recognize, others you wont.
    2. Very little to no lore references of the ancient past to the swtor time, if any.
    3. Most recognizable thing will be some creatures and the general gist of force users.

That's roughly it. Its like comparing Egypt circa 2000BC and Egypt over the last 25-30 years.(Not a great example but it shows the very vague relevance point).

Deleted
    May be worth noting, if you want to get into TOR lore don't watch the movies. Just play Knights of the Old Republic. Personally, and I may be blasphemous here, I much prefer The Old Republic lore over the lore established in the movies but there are very few references to the movies and other than the storylines being roughly designed around some of the characters (Darth Vader for example) you wont get much out of it from knowing the movies over knowing what happens in the games.

Han to luke: You look strong enough to pull the ears off a gundark. - Gundarks are on dromund kaass .. duno how han knows about them.. smuggler on a sith homeworld??Leia to Han: Why you stuck up scruffy looking Nerf hearder. - Nerfs are on alderaan (this makes sence since she grew up there) large bovine type creature.
    Han was in the imperial military as I recall.Before he became a smuggeler.Also it wasent a sith empire planet around the movies time :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinesun View Post
    You know that's one thing that has kind of bugged me. They have this awesome series of lore videos narrated by Lance Henriksen and yet he doesn't do an actual voice in the game?

Bioware I am disappoint.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haasth View Post
    May be worth noting, if you want to get into TOR lore don't watch the movies. Just play Knights of the Old Republic.
    This. The games are very good and are a better starting point for TOR lore then the movies.

Hell, just play the opening bits of KOTOR1 - you get to explore a planet that looks vastly different compared to TOR...