Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    As others have said, TOR takes place thousands of years before the movies.

But it's also important to note that the movies will always be their own entity. Always seperate from novels, comic books, video games, and TV shows. Although George Lucas does sometimes work very close with these productions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    We have a bunch of redneck yahoos that like to set them off in the cul de sac where I live, and 60% of their shit ends up in our yard or on our house. Not infracted
    Quote Originally Posted by zerocarbs View Post
    We have a bunch of obnoxious wetbacks that like to play their mariachi music where I live and nearly all their family ends up parking in our yard. Infracted

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post

But it's also important to note that the movies will always be their own entity. Always seperate from novels, comic books, video games, and TV shows. Although George Lucas does sometimes work very close with these productions.
    I thought everything was canon unless it disputed with the movies?

Quote Originally Posted by SWTORJohnny View Post
    Im one of those people that hasn't watched the movies
    Dear.Lord.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

I`m your father!!!
    No!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Dear.Lord.
    I've actually found that to be rather common on these boards.

So many posts and topics where people claim something should be removed but... That's Star Wars, damn it!

Deleted
    I never really considered Star Wars to be popular in the sense of people actually knowing wtf is going on. Most people I know have seen the films once and know about the force/lightsabers and jedi...

Quick answer: SW ToR is loosely connected to original trilogy (which is episodes IV-VI and if you plan to see the films I recommend that order: ep IV-VI then ep I-III). You won't find in those films references to the early past. Most of them are tided to fresh things like Clone Wars and some events shortly before.

But on the other hand you will find lots of references in ToR, references to films, books, previous games (like Knights of the Old Republic).

If you are interested in some SW universe history you can check here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

**quick clarification: in the episode IV, in the end there is a battle over Yavin. That event made a significant point in SW timeline. All event AFTER that battle were described in new calendar marked as After the Battle of Yavin (ABY). So Battle of Yavin took place in 0 ABY. And all previous events are marked as Before Battle of Yavin - BBY**

Original trilogy (ep IV-VI) takes place between 0-4 ABY and new trilogy (ep I-III) takes place between 32-19 BBY.
    SW ToR is set in year 3,653 BBY so 3,653 years before the original film.

Even despite the time difference it is worth to see the films before you sink into the game. You will have basic knowledge about the lore and you will get those sublime references.

At some point (likely before 2000+ years before the movies) the current Sith Empire (the one we have in SW:TOR) will be destroyed, and by the time the movies start there are 2-3 actual sith in existence, and most jedi believe they are extinct.

Just so people like the OP don't confuse them self: The Sith Empire we have in SW:TOR has very little to do with the Galactic Empire in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post

I do not know any piece of the expanded universe that actually contradicts with the movies. so I do not see any reason to separete them.

Deleted
    As seen in SWTOR (And KOTOR), the Sith "Empire" is similar in many respects to the Empire under Palpatine.

However, the original Sith Empire is essentially destroyed following the 7th Battle of Ruusan (~1000BBY) and the detonation of the "Thought bomb" by the Sith Forces in an effort to destroy the Jedi Order. It was turned back on the sith by Darth Bane and eventually ushered in the sith belief of the "Rule of 2", quote "Always 2 there are, the master, and the apprentice".

Eventually, +/- 100 years ABY, the Sith Empire returns with some similarities to the Empire you see in TOR. Under Darth Krayt, the Rule of 2 is abolished. However, there is also the Imperial Remanant, the remains of Palpatines Empire that by then is somewhere between the "good" of the Republic, by now renamed the "Galactic Alliance", and the resurgant Sith Empire. A neutral faction if you will, led by a force-sensitive Emperor, but one more morally grey than either good or bad. However, the books and lore I know of paint them somewhat as an Ally to the Galactic Alliance as the Sith Empire (Led by Darth Krayt) attempt to murder the Emperor and take over a large chunk of the Remanant's territory and forces.

It's also worth noting (Spoiler if you plan on reading far into the novels) that Leia and Han's Son, Jacen, falls to the Dark Side and becomes Darth Cadeus, and is eventually defeated in combination by Luke, Ben Skywalker (Luke's Son and Jacen's padawan) and Jaina Solo (Jacen's twin sister).

Quote Originally Posted by Meteos View Post
    I thought everything was canon unless it disputed with the movies?
    As with everything else, there's a couple of levels of canon:

Core Canon - What George Lucas has written himself (IE: Core Trilogies, Jar-Jar Binks, big party on endor, ewoks, etc.)

Extended Universe - Things added to the movie canon that usually are in sync with the movies, but added by people other than George, but approved by George or his proxies. These items can be considered canon unless contradicted by the movies. At that point, the movies win. This would cover things like SW:TOR, Knights of the Old Republic, Jedi Knight games, and all of the books (comics and long fiction) and, I believe, the Clone Wars cartoon series on Cartoon Network.

I saw an interview a few years back, around the time of the movie re-releases with the "lore keeper" within LucasArts. It was really interesting because it went through the different levels of canon and how they tied everything together while keeping the universe and all of the different Star Wars related projects straight.
    SW:TOR: Kina Legacy on Drooga's Pleasure Barge, formerly Senjak Legacy on Master Zhar Lestin.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilan View Post
    As seen in SWTOR (And KOTOR), the Sith "Empire" is similar in many respects to the Empire under Palpatine.
    It wasn't all too similar, it was ruled by a civilian government (until the Palpatine dissolved it, at some point near the start of the original trilogy), it didn't train force users, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilan View Post
    However, the original Sith Empire is essentially destroyed following the 7th Battle of Ruusan (~1000BBY) and the detonation of the "Thought bomb" by the Sith Forces
    That's actually a different sith empire, formed by Darth Ruin. By that time the sith empire we have in SW:TOR is supposedly long gone.

I would divorce yourself form the movies, they are their own little thing.
    you have like 3 Starwars unis out there.
    The lucas vision, the people other then Lucas version, and the bioware vision.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're going to read any of the books, I would suggest the Darth Bane series. I love that one, and it explains a lot about how the Sith were almost wiped out.

---------- Post added 2012-01-09 at 08:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bdew View Post
    That's actually a different sith empire, formed by Darth Ruin. By that time the sith empire we have in SW:TOR is supposedly long gone.
    I was under the impression that the earlier Sith Empire was the species of Sith (the purebloods or whatnot in the game.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

10+ Year Old Account
    You would be surprised how many people i run into in the game that honestly think the old republic comes after the movies, i will quote a person i encountered "I don't remember the republic being on tatooine in the movies."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zotan View Post
    Thats one of the more major things, theres also the guy that adopts Leia - Senator Organa. You interact with House Organa when you visit Alderaan in game (either fighting or working with them).
    This was something that annoyed me, House Organa survives 3,500 years? Really? Come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Olianda View Post
    I was under the impression that the earlier Sith Empire was the species of Sith (the purebloods or whatnot in the game.)
    Well yeah, that's the original sith empire, created when someone (infinite empire? i'm not sure) invaded korriban and got their asses kicked.

Then there was the sith empire created when exiled fallen jedi took over the sith race. Than one ended with the hyperspace war.

And then there we a bunch other formations called "sith empire", including but not limited to: The Exar Kun one, the Revan & Malak one, the Darth Ruin one, the one we see in SW:TOR, etc.

Some of them even managed to co-exist at the same time, for example by the time Revan declared himself Sith and started his empire, there was already a "hidden" sith empire on Dromund Kas, ran by the same emperor that still (supposedly) runs it in SW:TOR.

Yeah, those sith dudes should really work on more original naming.

Just for fun: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_...ambiguation%29

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Olianda View Post
    If you're going to read any of the books, I would suggest the Darth Bane series. I love that one, and it explains a lot about how the Sith were almost wiped out.

---------- Post added 2012-01-09 at 08:58 AM ----------

Sorry, you're both right and wrong, as am I.

Pre-dating the TOR Sith Empire that was first tentatively established by Revan were the True Sith, a mixture of true red-blooded Sith and Exiles of the first Jedi civil war exiled to the unknown regions (who, somehow relatively handily for story telling purposes) just happened to land on Korriban which was then an unknown world.

But yes, when I referenced the first Sith Empire, I meant that began around TOR times rather than the True Sith.

It wasn't all too similar, it was ruled by a civilian government (until the Palpatine dissolved it, at some point near the start of the original trilogy), it didn't train force users, etc.
    Technically the Sith Empire in TOR also had some civilian government. Also, "Hand of the Emperor". Perhaps not trained in a strictly force-user sense, they were force sensitives recruited for that very reason as spies, assassins, etc. Some who ended up Jedi in Luke Skywalkers new order (Mara Jade Skywalker was one of the Emperor's hands). But that's quibbling, strictly speaking, you are correct.

Darth Ruin may have ruled the "new" Sith Empire, but it was still there in its original form. Barely, but still there. He re-united distant fragments and assumed control. My understanding from the canon is that the last dying fragments of the Sith Empire were reinvigorated by Ruin and those Jedi he lured from the order, but it was not either a new empire in the basic sense nor was it different from that which existed before.

Edit -

Did a bit of reading there and it seems that there's now a lot more canon about Revan than last time I was in the loop and that they found a "massive sith empire" etc in hiding. Interesting.
    Last edited by mmoc620343bcaf; 2012-01-09 at 03:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nilan, I really appreciate how polite you're being.

Thanks for explaining that to me, I wasn't quite sure, but can we agree that the Darth Bane books are a good read?
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

Deleted
    Been on my Kindle since the day I got it. Rule of two is an epic book