Thread: Mage nerf

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Mage nerf

Mages

Fireball damage has been reduced by roughly 6%.
    Pyroblast damage has been reduced by roughly 6%.

Taken directly from the bluepost for the next incomming patch,
    Do you think this is a good thing to do? Yes fire mages are strong atm, but is a 6% nerf on our most used spells needed?

/discuss

( People that respond without any valid reason to respond will be reported )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below this is reserved for testing on PTR and live version to see how hard the acctual nerf is going to be.

PTR test 1 Duration:
    PTR test 2 Duration:
    PTR test 3 Duration:
    PTR test 4 Duration:
    PTR test 5 Duration:

Live test 1 Duration:
    Live test 2 Duration:
    Live test 3 Duration:
    Live test 4 Duration:
    Live test 5 Duration:

All testing is done with the current character
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...arudo/advanced

I will begin testing as soon as im home from work.

Plus il do a LFR this wednesday on live and PTR and post those results.

LFR PTR

LFR Live
    Last edited by mmoc95246e56fb; 2012-01-09 at 12:21 PM.

will prob make arcane best spec, if not it'll be really close

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by imamagemk View Post
    will prob make arcane best spec, unless you get good rng.
    Well considering there are quite allot of fights where heavy AoE is needed i doubt that people instant switch to fire, HOWEVER it still pains me that they nerf is so quickly, its getting kind of old slapping around with the buff/nerf wand. Are fire mages doing good dps? Yes if there RNG lines up, however if you have no proc's fireball itself
    barely does any damage.

1505 haste, 2005 haste or 2200+ haste with t12 4p?

Blizzard nerfs mages than buffs the mages than nerfs them again than buffs them again than nerfs them!! AMG

** Infracted: Trolling - Heilige **
    Last edited by Heilige; 2012-01-09 at 02:13 AM.

um, you will get a 6% nerf now, then QQ super hard and get a 12% buff to compensate. remember what they did with spellsteal? lolol

besides, who cares if you get a 6% nerf? like... clearly you do. but my point is why do you care? 'i wanna be top dps in the raid' well, other classes do too. content yourself with being the top mage (or the only mage, idk) or see if there are other ways you could contribute to the wellbeing of your raid. im sure there are plenty of ways, just get creative. if you cant think of one, you dont know your class 1/2 as well as you think you do. =)

realistically, again, its 6%. and do you WANT to be like a retadin in pvp? all luck and no skill? retadins are 100% rng. fire mages are headed that direction.

and really, tbh, maybe if they make mages difficult to play again ill go back to playing mine. hes 85, but so ridiculously easy to play that its just not fun. done frost (EPIC lul) done fire (very fun, until you master it, then its on to something new) and done arcane (LEGENDARY lul). so yeah... nerf em 20% and then ill get back on mine and show you baddies how its done.[COLOR="red"]

** Infracted: Trolling - Heilige **
    Last edited by Heilige; 2012-01-09 at 02:12 AM.

Deleted
    6% its overkill, so after this nerf they will nerf combat rogues? ... and then warriors? its totally stupid.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Unless my math is completely off, this drops fire from a 3k lead to ~900. Still top, but not retardedly so.

3k lead is hardly "retardedly so" in comparison to Arcane's lead prior tiers. The 3k lead helped compensate for horrendous RNG pulls (on a Heroic Ultrax pull Thursday I didn't get a single hot streak until the 1:34 mark... or one of my guildies had a pull with 23% FB crit when he's running nearly 51% fireball crit fully raid buffed... balanced?)

That said, while I disagree with the size of the buff it could have used a tweak... perhaps a 2-3% nerf but 6% is a bit overkill.

Furthermore, this thread (and all the "Nerf" topics) will be watched carefully and dealt with swiftly - be smart... if you don't have anything constructive to add, don't post.

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.
    Mage Moderator | Forum Guidelines | MMO IRC | Arcane Mage FAQ | TT7 R.I.P.

Fire and arcane still theoricaly better than everything else, if anything should had been more

15+ Year Old Account
    Well whatever I have to go arcane for heroic spine anyway.

I'm now thinking of going Fire for Heroic Yorsahj to help with the Dark adds, but I might go back to Arcane for other fights. The Shadow Priests or someone else can soak on Warlord. Glad I didn't go Worgen yet.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2012-01-09 at 02:50 AM.

Deleted
    This makes me think pretty hard about going arcane, we just killed heroic yor'sajh or whatever his name is and we are a 2 night raiding guild without the 3% increased
    damage HOWEVER, as heilige posted above i think the 6% is quite the overkill, the reason im thinking of this is simple, one pull i had rougly 45k on heroic Ultraxion while on
    second one i was around 27k due to amazing RNG luck, it might be needed for me to go arcane for fights like that, where the DPS/burst matters. and it saddens me cause i think i could acctualy play fire this expansion.

@ Hellfury, im glad you think that way and therefore you're oppinion is invalid if you cant bring up numbers or a valid reason into this topic

@ Spk, not everybody is a hardcore raider or a progression raider for that matter, im not goign to be on spine for a while and i doubt blizzard is balancing with keeping only the best of raiders in there mind.

-edit MrExcelion summed it up nicely.

Is it needed? Depends on who you listen to.

If you listen to the people like me, who think "it's a team game, if the boss dies we all win, idc if you outdps my rogue in the same ilvl gear, is the boss dead? Yes? Win."

If you listen to forum trolls/whiners that get butthurt because the class/spec they play isn't on top of the meters while they wipe 60 times on normal mode lootship, then it's badly needed.

Also, People that make repeat posts about the same mage nerf topic will be reported.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

Deleted
    We have no retri paladin in our 10 man.. So going arcane will be a high choice for me if this go's through.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heilige View Post
    3k lead is hardly "retardedly so" in comparison to Arcane's lead prior tiers. The 3k lead helped compensate for horrendous RNG pulls (on a Heroic Ultrax pull Thursday I didn't get a single hot streak until the 1:34 mark... or one of my guildies had a pull with 23% FB crit when he's running nearly 51% fireball crit fully raid buffed... balanced?)
    Agreed on the first point, but you have to admit, issues with balance in the past doesn't mean they should continue. The second point... Well, I'm still of the mind that the back to back crit requirement is a bitch to balance and harmful to player sanity on some of the more DPS intensive fights.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    Is it needed? Depends on who you listen to.

If you listen to the people like me, who think "it's a team game, if the boss dies we all win, idc if you outdps my rogue in the same ilvl gear, is the boss dead? Yes? Win."

If you listen to forum trolls/whiners that get butthurt because the class/spec they play isn't on top of the meters while they wipe 60 times on normal mode lootship, then it's badly needed.

Also, People that make repeat posts about the same mage nerf topic will be reported.
    I took a minute to sort through your post history to see if I could call you a hypocrit, and here we go:

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    Actually, no you haven't. All buffs brought by ele are brought by another class that will already be in your 25 man, and they do 1-2k more dps, so, why bring an ele?

Will there always be equal skill? no. I guess that's my fault for assuming the op means in a decent guild trying to tackle hard content, if we're talking about every scrub in blues in trade trying to pug icc hm's then I apologize.

So, assuming equal skill, There is no reason at all to bring an ele. As was mentioned earlier, all things equal, if your ele is outdps'ing your other hybrids or pures, then they are bad, replace them.

15+ Year Old Account
    A nerf is perfectly fine. I fear this was a bit too strong though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by markdead View Post
    @ Spk, not everybody is a hardcore raider or a progression raider for that matter, im not goign to be on spine for a while and i doubt blizzard is balancing with keeping only the best of raiders in there mind.
    This is obviously for the best players. Do you think this is a nerf because some guy pulled 20k as fire in a 5 man or because some guy did 56k on heroic ultraxion?

Deleted
    @ Karakkonor

It would be nice to stay ontopic here instead of bashing other players, do that in PM not in a topic about the latest mage changes.

@ Ultima

I completetly agree, when fire mages we're lucky with there RNG they did some nice/insane damage especcialy when you have a nice Combustion with it, however im still waiting for somebody ( maybe me ) to see on the PTR how big the impact is goign to be, if somebody would be that nicely to post it in this topic so we can continue
    debating would be even better, however, if this turns out to be a hard nerf and blizzard is goign to continue with it, im going arcane and have fire as offspec for fights like Yor'sajh and perhaps Madness Heroic when that time comes.

@spk

I just read a thread somewhere ( cant find it ) about WoL not being verry accurate for fire or specs in general, it is possible for a person to be insanely lucky on RNG and get that ammount of damage output, without it acctualy being overpowerd.