Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Am I The Only One Getting Tired of 'Cover?!'

Title says most of it.

I have a 31 Gunslinger. I love the story, and the character itself, problem is is I'm getting sick of the inevitable story deaths when it comes to elite enemies engaging before you get into cover so you can use most of you 'decent' attacks.

It feels like being gimped. I usually have zero problem the second time (when I get to start in cover), but it's annoying and frustrating.

I feel like I'm ready to re-roll, but my question stands, am I the only Smuggler/IA that is getting sick of being a pylon?

You are not alone
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Deleted
    You can crouch on the spot and use all of the cover abilities, the only thing you lose is the bonus ranged defence (And I think there's a talent or ability that lets you deploy some sort of screen that negates this 'loss' anyway?).

I do hate the cover mechanic though, I couldn't stand it by level 10 and went a Scoundrel instead.

15+ Year Old Account
    no.

Cover is limiting, obtrusive, buggy as all get out, and obnoxious for story quests
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

The thing I have the most problems with is diving into the wrong cover and pulling an extra pat when I really just wanted to crouch in place. And the slow responsiveness of the cover bar coming up meaning that almost everything is dead before I can get off my first aimed shot in instances

Like I don't feel it'd be so bad if my character didn't have to always ROLL into position, even if she's 2 feet away. It's a needless 2 second loss, coupled with the 'Ability Lag Bug' that eats up another 1/2 second.

It's pretty much 'ohhai thar enemy! I will stand and do nuthin' for three seconds while mah companion dies cause I can't heel him and I'm useless right nao!'

They need to fix this. I don't know what there is to fix, though, sadly. It's cover. You're a pylon. I can see all sorts of problems at endgame if you're trying to pylon-dps in an Op.

So Scoundrel isn't a cover-class? Does the IA have a Non-cover class? I'd be willing to re-roll an IA. Smuggler Act 1 is to...fresh...in my mind to re-roll atm.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    Like I don't feel it'd be so bad if my character didn't have to always ROLL into position, even if she's 2 feet away. It's a needless 2 second loss, coupled with the 'Ability Lag Bug' that eats up another 1/2 second.

It's pretty much 'ohhai thar enemy! I will stand and do nuthin' for three seconds while mah companion dies cause I can't heel him and I'm useless right nao!'

They need to fix this. I don't know what there is to fix, though, sadly. It's cover. You're a pylon. I can see all sorts of problems at endgame if you're trying to pylon-dps in an Op.

So Scoundrel isn't a cover-class? Does the IA have a Non-cover class? I'd be willing to re-roll an IA. Smuggler Act 1 is to...fresh...in my mind to re-roll atm.
    Operative is the Agent equivalent to Scoundrel. Neither use cover, they are a melee class

Also note: Shift+F is defaulted to drop your portable cover (overrides roll). But portable cover is not as good as real cover
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Deleted
    Actually I lile it. I don't have a problem as I Shft+F drop my cover and I start attacking. Rolling for less than 5 meters is a problem though. Btw how can I bind keys on cover bar?

I reversed the cover key binds, so F goes into portable cover and shift-F for natural cover. I use portable cover much more, prevents the rolling and accidental aggro. I don't understand not being able to get into cover fast enough, its just one button, if you need more time you can stun them before then enter cover or enter cover and immediately hit the ability that does an instant aoe knockback to reset the position for the fight. I have yet to die to a story line boss, perhaps you need some more practice with it, but if you truly hate it, perhaps you need to re-examine the class you are playing.

Life became so much easier when I discovered Shift + F
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Go put some pants on.

Was going to say, you know you can cover without rolling? Its bindable to any key also.

Deleted
    It has its good and bad sides, I like the look and feel of cover because it makes more sense than just standing around like a doofus with a sniper rifle. The major downside for me is that for it to work perfectly, there always needs to be cover nearby. As far as storydriven fights go, they're always annoying for a class that works best from max range. Too bad you can't just headshot them from afar.
    Simply removing cover would gimp the class a lot because that means you'll have zero protection from melee classes getting near you and the dmg of ranged classes on you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Play a Bounty Hunter/Trooper?

Deleted
    Cover is the one and only reason i will never EVER roll a imperial agent / smuggler. I would literally rather slit my wrists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I can't stand it. Which is the exact reason I rolled a Scoundrel and not a Gunslinger.

Cover does become a problem some times.

I also have a level 30ish Gunslinger and it is baffling how in the smuggler quest areas and actual "boss" fights you start nowhere near cover.

On Tatooine in the lightsring I had a hell of a time. I was overleveled and I still had to bring in a second person to beat that battle. (They saw one quest and became very interested in the smuggler story btw)

On the Hutts Ship on Nar Shadda I don't remember any decent cover being around.

I mean I could understand on the more general quests everyone does there can't be cover every 2 feet but in the smuggler only areas it should be everywhere and when a gunslinger you should basically be auto-placed in it when a conversation turns to a fight.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. But if you don't like it spec Dirty Fighting (when you're 40). It's mostly a non-cover spec.

Ehhh, its a bit twitchy for my taste. It's a cool idea though. I prefer being a scoundrel and blasting things in the back with a scatter gun.

Quote Originally Posted by deztruction View Post
    Cover is the one and only reason i will never EVER roll a imperial agent / smuggler. I would literally rather slit my wrists.
    Operatives/Scoundrels don't use cover.
    Last edited by Hoticehunter; 2012-01-09 at 06:05 AM.
    ಠ_ಠ

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Once you get used to cover I think it's very cool and fluid, to be honest. Hitting that button just gotta come naturally. Also, when you're a sniper/gunslinger you get cover everywhere, you never have to find a spot. You just use your "crouch" ability instead of "cover" and you never roll into a nearby position (you retain your defences from speccing sniper/gunslinger).