Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by alikyu View Post
    At the character select screen, there are tabs that tell you what each of the classes can become. The tab tells you the roles of each of the advanced classes, their armor type, and the weapons they use.

You spend an entire 10 levels in a starter world to see which style of gameplay you like more.

The quest you receive when you first arrive tells you about the decision you're about to make and what the difference is between your two advanced classes.

The NPC you speak with in order to select your advanced class gives you the two advanced classes compared side-by-side. It even allows you to look at the talent trees of each advanced class.

So unless you're just clicking all over the place ALL THE TIME, you have no one to blame but yourself.

For shame.
    This sounds very good and proper. However looking at talents/having an npc say Hello, you can be a tank, or a dps, does nothing to let me know about the actual PLAY STYLE involved in each choice. If you take wow for example: You have shadow priest, mage, and warlock for example. All casters. You can have an npc say THIS IS A CASTER! But they are all COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TO PLAY. I love playing a mage. I hate playing a shadow priest. Can you now see what I am talking about?

I would in fact prefer if they just made all the classes independent from the start, instead of being lazy and sharing the starting experience for two classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikhart View Post
    Sounds great, so you mess up your choice later on, and you have re-spend hours on content that was kinda boring the first time through. Great design decision, no doubt.
    It says on the information what each AC can do. I for one don't like healing, so I've avoided going for Healing AC's and gone for tanks/dps. As others have said, I really don't see how this is any different from WoW where you choose a Class, an AC is the equivalent, and level it to 20. If you don't like it, delete and start again, it's all of a matter of hours between 1-20.
    This sounds very good and proper. However looking at talents/having an npc say Hello, you can be a tank, or a dps, does nothing to let me know about the actual PLAY STYLE involved in each choice.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, it would be nice to be able to view the talent trees before hand.

If you take wow for example: You have shadow priest, mage, and warlock for example. All casters. You can have an npc say THIS IS A CASTER! But they are all COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TO PLAY. I love playing a mage. I hate playing a shadow priest. Can you now see what I am talking about?
    Again, I understand the point, but as it's been pointed out; How is this any different from WoW? You level a character up, find out you don't like it and restart. It's fairly simple.

I would in fact prefer if they just made all the classes independent from the start, instead of being lazy and sharing the starting experience for two classes.
    I don't mind really, it's the same either way. you don't really know what your character can do until 10 when you get your talent trees anyway, and you probably won't get the feel of a class until around 20 when you start getting your third tier talents. All you would do is restart the other class, in your case, and do the exact same zones again. Considering both AC's have the same abilities before level 10 you can't exactly get a feel for the different specs regardless of whether they are separated at 1 or 10.
    Last edited by Matt0193; 2012-01-09 at 12:26 PM.

Come on you even get to look at both AC talent trees before making your choice, these days in wow you cant even look at the talent trees in game til level 10....serious design flaw yes??
    Sometimes you just have to stop healing some people to prove a point, if they don't listen, it's really their own fault :P

Quote Originally Posted by Rikhart View Post
    This sounds very good and proper. However looking at talents/having an npc say Hello, you can be a tank, or a dps, does nothing to let me know about the actual PLAY STYLE involved in each choice. If you take wow for example: You have shadow priest, mage, and warlock for example. All casters. You can have an npc say THIS IS A CASTER! But they are all COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TO PLAY. I love playing a mage. I hate playing a shadow priest. Can you now see what I am talking about?

If you are choosing between shadow priest, mage or warlock, you aren't able to select a specialization until... level 10. You do not know how shadow priest plays until level 10. You also don't get a sense for how the other classes play until level 10.

So if you play a priest until level 10, try Shadow, and don't like it, guess what you have to do?

Lawyered.

And no, 1-10 priest does not tell you anything about how a shadow priest plays.

The only way to show you how a class, in any game, plays would be to give you a max level character of that class for you to try. No game is going to do that. You are simply going to have to make informed decisions. Or, in this case, you are going to have to make poor decisions.
    Last edited by alikyu; 2012-01-09 at 12:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A design flaw because you can't pick what you want to play? Not only can you look at some background and the character creation AND some description when you choose your AC, there numerous YouTube videos.

You don't know how an Arms vs Fury Warrior play before level 10.
    You don't know how a SPriest plays before level 10.
    You don't know how an Elemental Shaman vs Enhancement Shaman play before level 10.

It's not a bad design flaw or them being lazy at all. You get a feel for the base class. You learn how to play your class, as you should, as you level up.