Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

ToR gaining a lot of US and EU new subscriptions

a lot of new subscribers, and new to MMOs are going ToR and not Wow, anybody know why? my local gamestore is having a lot of people compeltely new to MMOs picking up ToR than they are Warcraft. - and a lot omoreof the mom's are preferring to by their children (and themselves) ToR too.

I can say I'm fairly migrated over to ToR (though i still occaiosnally play wow), I wonder are many players moving from wow over to ToR? I've been hearing a lot of talk about people who say tehy are moving over. My wow guild 90% of its officers and core members to TOr on its release and it's losing members daily to ToR. Whenever it is mentioned in wow trade (not often it does get alot of praise), i suspect if they could afford it half more would move, altho some say they won't cos they don't like Star Wars.

Any idea exactly what is going on? is wow losing many subscriptions to ToR? So far a number of people have mentioned regretting signing up to annual pass now that ToR is out. What exactly is happening? Bioware informaiton conspiracy? they don't really sound the type though, Bioware and blizzard are not like Activision and EA they don't play dirty games, although those 2 might be fuelling all the gossip. hmmm. I must say, Lucas ARts is a powerful, powerful ally to have on your side when it comes to entertainment products, look at all that stroy driven content.

---------- Post added 2012-01-09 at 12:38 PM ----------

Ah yes, beofre i forget to ask, what's the non-english speakers reaction to ToR? i mean the dialogue i assume is only available in English atm - has this put a lot of non-english users like most europeans and /Chinese/Japanese/Kors off ToR?

i suspect not though, becuase if you strip the story away from ToR, it still holds its own against wow but becames a bit more evn being a do you prefer scifi to fantasy...saying that, Tor animations and models are a lot better, so even without the story, ToR does have an edge an d it does have an overall better system, though wow does somethings better and has less bugs. what are the non-english users saying/going?
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2012-01-09 at 11:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Source? If so, that is great! I wonder how long they will stay for.
    -K

Deleted
    I would say from personal observation its true... TOR is a better game... doesnt take long for even the non 'starwars' fanboys like myself to realise that.... wow sub cancelled a few days ago... TOR is the new #1 MMO and will only get bigger and more popular and im glad this is happening, im enjoying tor far more than i did in wow and i loved wow up until 2 weeks ago when i started playing tor.

TOR is new game, plus it's Star Wars.. Of course people will buy and want to try it.. Nothing extraodrinary about it o-O
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

This is exactly what Blizzard predicted and exactly why they specifically endorsed and complimented SWTOR last year, way before its release, while not doing the same to Rift. They were expecting SWTOR to draw a lot of new people into the MMO market, and the MMO market growing is only a good thing for all parts (Blizzard are naturally hoping that some of them will go over to playing WoW eventually).

Seems they were right
    This is my signature. You will now remember me.

to appeal the biggest markets, the game has also been translated to german, french and spanish.
    others, who do not speak any of those 4 languages, will probably not get the game. that just would not make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
    I would say from personal observation its true... TOR is a better game... doesnt take long for even the non 'starwars' fanboys like myself to realise that.... wow sub cancelled a few days ago... TOR is the new #1 MMO and will only get bigger and more popular and im glad this is happening, im enjoying tor far more than i did in wow and i loved wow up until 2 weeks ago when i started playing tor.
    Labeling it as simply "a better game" wont fly.

I like TOR alot and i have a great time playing it. But in some fields, or actually quite alot, WoW shines. UI and interface in particular is a weakness in TOR. And unresponsiveness of characters.
    Not to mention the lack of things that WoW has made "standard" to an MMO.

But for all its faults TOR is a great game, but Bioware has its work cut out for themselves. And the things they do (really) good arent enough in the long run. And the smaller things really, REALLY, need looking at.
    Last edited by terrahero; 2012-01-09 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
    TOR is the new #1 MMO and will only get bigger and more popular and im glad this is happening, im enjoying tor far more than i did in wow and i loved wow up until 2 weeks ago when i started playing tor.
    The top MMO is the one with the highest active subs. I don't doubt that this will be popular but I have to say WoW is still "#1" simply by merit that it has more active subs. You have have the best ever game but if you only have 1000 subs it's hardly the best in the world. Wheras if you have a shite game that seems to have millions upon millions of subs you're the one making money while the other has a better game and no following.It's entirely subjective depending on how you define "#1".

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the impact of SWTOR on WOW subscriptions will less than what I expected it to be before the game launched.

While I myself will play SWTOR, I think, from an objective view (and don't shoot me for this) at this time, wow has more to offer for new players.
    Which is completely understandable, of course, and that also doesn't mean every new player will like wow better than SWTOR.

If SWTOR gets trough its growing pains, we will have a splendid MMO with years of fun to come
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

WoW is an old game with old graphics. ToR is new and "flashier" so naturally it could atract more new players. Plus they have put a lot of money into advertising the game. Before the launch day and some days after that I saw lots of ToR posters in the streets of my town and it's a pretty small town in Finland, in the middle of nowhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    im playing wow and swtor atm. I think the subs reflect more that swtro is a good game and wow is seriously lack lustre atm. its not that swtor is a great game just that wow is mediocre. hang around in wow for 6 months redoing DS and waiting for MoP or play something new? thats what i see in the subs numbers.

It all comes down to how BioWare handles content patches, balancing, bug fixes (as well as punishing people who abuse them), and customer service.e

They've delivered a good game so far, but the coming months will tell how well SWTOR will do in the future. Fingers crossed.

yes, i guess its possible to translate all that voice speech.. cool, it's jsut like making cartoon translations, costly, but necessary.. it hink it would have afar bigger impact in french/german regions which never have these things translated into anything but english, especially if they come from the Far east.

having the full set of translations means that they actually give a damn about players in tehse regions, and opening iwth a Spanish translation is a one up on warcraft who just completely bitch about the effor t it takes to trnaslate text, whereas if you're right, TORgoes one up and did alll that voice, tha't just amazing.

Do they have it in Chinese / Korean and or Japanese or plan to?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    im playing wow and swtor atm. I think the subs reflect more that swtro is a good game and wow is seriously lack lustre atm. its not that swtor is a great game just that wow is mediocre. hang around in wow for 6 months redoing DS and waiting for MoP or play something new? thats what i see in the subs numbers.
    It's because SWTOR is new and Star Wars... Gameplay has no baring on sub numbers yet, we're still in the FREE period...It's atleast 3 months in till we see if gameplay maintains subs

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    a lot of new subscribers, and new to MMOs are going ToR and not Wow, anybody know why? my local gamestore is having a lot of people compeltely new to MMOs picking up ToR than they are Warcraft. - and a lot omoreof the mom's are preferring to by their children (and themselves) ToR too.

-snip -

i suspect not though, becuase if you strip the story away from ToR, it still holds its own against wow but becames a bit more evn being a do you prefer scifi to fantasy...saying that, Tor animations and models are a lot better, so even without the story, ToR does have an edge an d it does have an overall better system, though wow does somethings better and has less bugs. what are the non-english users saying/going?
    Kids are more used to Star Wars than Warcraft. With the prequels(*hurk*) a bunch of them grew up with some of the movies. There's been a slew of Lego Star Wars games recently and there's a CGI show of the clone wars running on cartoon network. What does Warcraft have for the mass populace? Given the age of the RTS series, nothing really. Star Wars is just FAR more relatable to newcomers to the MMO scene. Then, of course, it's newer and shinier.

As for the Annual Pass thing, it's not an information conspiracy. Most people don't know that you can cancel the agreement and fewer are keen on spending $30 a month to divide their attention and progress in 2 MMOs. Blizzard always comes up with ways to divert attention from new MMOs at their launch. That isn't sneaky or underhanded, just good business practice. 4.3's Raid Finder allows some of the more recreational WoW populace to do more of the available content than they used to and, as I said, few people want to spend that much on subscriptions. I, personally, can barely justify paying a subscription for 1 game. The reason I quit WoW was because I didn't feel I was getting my money out of the subscription.

I've got a few French friends that are in love with TOR and my ex is frustrated, because she hates subscriptions. She's currently drooling over Razer's TOR line. XD

Here in germany, they are advertising heavily in TV, so it's not surprising they're gaining lots of new customers.

Also your assumption about dialogues is incorrect, the german version is (expectedly) fully synchronized. Since i'm playing in english i notice this mostly due to having to wait for my groupmates' dialogues running longer . I'd expect the french version to be completely synchronized too, but don't know about other languages.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    its not just that though. Catas been a fairly dismal expansion, DS has been a poor ending. People have seen the fall of the last boss. Its done. the LFR, Normal, Heroic versions all look the same and to the average punter the diffs dont matter. Any game coming along and offering something new was going to be quids in. 6 months of DS rinse and repeat while waiting for Kung Fu Panda or a break and playing something new? No brainer.

Deleted
    Agreed there are lots of niggling issues with bugs and getting used to the combat feel, it feels different from wow but IMO thats not a bad thing.....i do miss recount very much and the ability to setup my ui how i want it but im sure this will come in time, most of my enjoyment in these games come from competitive raiding and ive yet to see it but im sure its going to be excellent just from my 45lvls experience running FP's and seeing the quality of the content.

For me things like having no macros etc arent an issue....you just need more skill to be able to reach your characters max cap... good! i want a challenge

so far loving the pvp. the leveling, the FP's.....only thing im yet to see is the end game competitive raiding.... i want to be able to finitely measure my performance and that of the rest or the ops group

Quote Originally Posted by alikyu View Post
    It all comes down to how BioWare handles content patches, balancing, bug fixes (as well as punishing people who abuse them), and customer service.e

They've delivered a good game so far, but the coming months will tell how well SWTOR will do in the future. Fingers crossed.
    I agree. I have not logged on to WoW to play since early access. But bug, lack of UI, and other issues need to be resolved fairly soon. I think there are 3 big tests for ToR
    1 Who will stay past the 30 days
    2 What happens whenDiablo comes out?
    2 What happens when MoP comes out?

Right now Cata is stale and I know my guild is done with it. 90% of our guild moved, we have over 50 members in ToR. But most have kept their subs (annual pass people) and plan on playing Diablo

So they have some time and seem to be making progress, but they don't have a lot of time

Note: posted on iPad so excuse mistakes
    "Peace is a lie"

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I think the impact of SWTOR on WOW subscriptions will less than what I expected it to be before the game launched.

While I myself will play SWTOR, I think, from an objective view (and don't shoot me for this) at this time, wow has more to offer for new players.
    Which is completely understandable, of course, and that also doesn't mean every new player will like wow better than SWTOR.

If SWTOR gets trough its growing pains, we will have a splendid MMO with years of fun to come
    take me for example, i have always been a Star wars fan, long ebfore i became a warcraft fan, but altho i signed up for the beta and got invited i didn't even bother playing it, nor did i rush out to buy the game when it was released on Tuesday fortnight ago, - i was quite happy playing wow and felt i certianly did not have time for one more mmo, cute as SW might be.

maybe it was because of a comment my friend made ages ago when he saw his frinend play the beta, he didn't like the animations he said, they looked like NWN, and that was the first negative thing i had heard then, in waht fhad seemed nothing bu good reports, and it was a big point for me. animations are incredibly importnat, you can have stunngin vistas, but nothing makes me p play a game or enjoy it more than a character that moves real cool and a good story, looking good also helps as does items but not as mcuh as the first tow. Quizzed more about it, from i got the e impression it looked more like those really old star wars pc games with the funny first person saber action camera angle that i use to see when i was a child, and asking him he seemed to agree.

BOY was he wrong, it was nothing like that at all, and if it wasn't for his comment i may have bought it sooner. Incidentally, i persusaded him to buy ToR before i had even picked it up, and he loved it, and thoug t the animations looked much beteter.. iw as still playing wow at christmas btw. So come near years eve i thought okay, lets go try this.

ANd i was blown away. the aniamtions were a lot better than wow, and what i had thought they would be, even though it stillhad tha tsilly wow movemet of running throguhthings and running into walls without an auto correct. but it was really really cool. So i was a migrated subscription. I can't really care for wow much although i still like it, and feeel some atttachment. But i got tired of trying to tell blizzard STORY and ANIMATION are important very important, fixing your character modles as opposed to silly new cratures shoudl be ahigher priroity cos you see those all the time, and STORy is vital for context, immrsion and for your franchise on a mauch bigger scale.. fell on deaf ears, it's rich lore and extensive universe poorly displayed in its flagship game. Teh gameplay and action was good though and the terrain stunning, the score really epic. but expansion after expansion, wait after wait, it wasn't coming..

ToR did, and just wow, it was it all, this is how an MMO should be, an MMORPG - story driven, movie like, but with other players, this isthe beginning of a new era. No more sad excuses taht it isn't possible, it sin't good. and if i can be wow'd by ToR as a veteran player where Aion, Rift, Conan, Lotro, FFXIV, WAR couldn't shift me... then game on. MoP for wow has its work cut out for it.

But then, blizzard is not going to realistically fight SW with wow, its game over for wow imo, wow just can't measure up, ToR outstrips wow in almost every department like for like. Better system, better customization, smarter option, and then where it shows its strength is in the areas wow is weakest on, STORY and character models/animations. No, to fight ToR, Blizzard can' realistically hope to do so with WoW. And they know it, those of you who stay on in wow, good for blizzard.

No, to fight ToR, Blizzard has been designing TITAN !! - now when Titan is previewed, then it will be game on.