Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    General rule of thumb: If you need to be motivated, you do not really want it.

If you're curious, you could just wait for a trial-thing, or accept that combat will be a bit different and find your flow in that. If you can't accept that on your own (and thus need motivation) then you simply don't want it.
    It's really that simple. Save yourself a lot of money.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    hmm im an operative healer and while questing i find i can go batshit crazy and just fly into packs of mobs and smash em to bits (even silver or gold elites dont stand a chance ;p) with ease and its awesome fun, you cant do that in wow as a healer lol
    ........THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL !!!!!

The big thing is don't expect it to be WoW. That is one of the biggest reasons people get let down: "awww no LFG system? No LFR system? What do you mean warriors don't have mortal strike" seems to be about 90% of peoples problem with the game. With that said you should expect it to be an MMO still. Yes it will have action bars and casting bars and all of those things -- so don't expect the next and newest concept in all of the realities. If you put all of that behind you and accept the fact that a new game will have bugs and flaws until they get worked out then you can and will love SWTOR unless it simply isn't the game for you. Some people just might not like story driven MMO's and that is perfectly ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buy it and try it, but most importantly -- make up YOUR OWN mind.

If you like the WoW "button mashing warrior" style of play, then you'll have no problem at all playing a Jedi Guardian.

"History does not allow freedom to be defended by the weak and the timid." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1953

If you PvP at all, wait until the PvP fix patch later this month. I'm leveling alts right now and lower levels are nothing but a free HK for any 50 that happens to be in a warzone. In fact, the medal system in warzones basically encourages people to focus on killing lower level players. I'm not gonna get a 2.5k crit on a level 50 with expertise gear on my sorcerer, but a level 20 would be ideal. Same goes for the solo kill medals, the damage done medals, basically anything having to do with kills or damage.

The combat seems fine to me. From my experience, the average quest fights are a little longer than in WoW. It really depends on your class though, because I play a Sage when I played fury warrior in WoW. Only thing I haven't liked in combat so far on my sage is the healing, but I was healing a flashpoint in a dps spec. I'm sure with a good build the cast times wouldn't be as bad and heals would be much bigger.

Deleted
    i just managed to get to 50 and my advice to people that wanna start is that it is not a MMO, i never talked or did anything with anyone in there. Even though im on a high populated server its impossibe to find people to heroic quests, seems like alot of people are 3 or even 2 manning the dungeons. But thats not a bad thing, I just started up another guy to go through the story mode. I hope they will fix the combat lag and add more challenge in the dungeons. End game is in no way as challenging as wow is atm, but that could change.

I'm waiting a trial, already spent to much on Steam holidays to buy SWTOR and play for 15 days

Deleted
    Is the combat clunky because of design or is it a bug that will get fixed?

Also, is there a way to turn off cut scenes and dialogue? I hate cut scenes and couldn't stand them in cata so I'm not sure that SWTOR is anything for me if the game relies so much on cut scenes and scripted dialogues.

Those are two important things for me to consider before I decide to try it out.

Deleted
    1 very important thing about SWTOR is that their version of 'LFG' requires you dont act like a dick to people, if you do, you'll very soon find that you don't have people to do Flashpoints (instances) or heroic quest areas with (there's no 'click button = auto group with randoms that you can act like a complete prick to).

And you can spacebar through dialog if that is your desire (though I strongly suggest you watch some, as they are pretty damn awesome).

Edit: about 'hitting 50 already' - a majority of the community are still lvl'ing (it having been christmas and new year recently), so ye, it's still pretty dead at 'end lvl' (it's been 2 and a half sodding weeks since retail release, sheesh, give a game a chance).

Also, people hitting 50 and saying it's 'easy, etc, etc', have not done the harder modes of the end places.

FYI - there's
    1. normal mode
    2. hard mode (cant quite remember what this mode is called)
    3. nightmare mode

When people start completing nightmare modes and saying THAT is 'easy', then ok, until then, normal mode = normal mode. And people saying it is 'easy' is like people saying sugar is sweet ....
    Last edited by mmoc2ef52c082b; 2012-01-09 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhnai123 View Post
    Hey guys, i've been really wanting to play SWTOR for a while, something really makes me want to buy it because of just the fresh content and a new feel for MMO's and stuff (I'm pretty open minded, yes, i play WoW, yes i'll keep playing it, yes i want to play SWTOR and Yes i will play both).

However, since i've played WoW for 7 years now, i've gotten really familiar with the really fast paced combat, especially since i play a button mashing Warrior. The combat is really quick, fluid and most importantly... NOT STICKY.
    I've watched some SWTOR footage from Zybak and Swifty etc (don't hate D: - They are good entertainers/non elitists) and it's looks really fun but i've heard people saying that it's quite sticky when casting spells and stuff and feels abit clunky/unresponsive - which is a killer for me because i am so accustomed to the WoW style combat.

Can anyone say anything to make me buy it? Especially since i got gifted with £60 and a £20 Gift card to Game.

Peace out all !
    This is the /getdown bug video but the first 30 seconds the guy builds up aggro and shows what game play looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vun5geNHA5M

If the first 30 seconds is clunky/unresponsive/sticky game play then /shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhnai123 View Post
    Hey guys, i've been really wanting to play SWTOR for a while, something really makes me want to buy it because of just the fresh content and a new feel for MMO's and stuff (I'm pretty open minded, yes, i play WoW, yes i'll keep playing it, yes i want to play SWTOR and Yes i will play both).
    thats all. nothing more nothing less

There's no need for others to convince you. Watch any number of game play streams on the net of the game and decide for yourself. Otherwise you're only relying on the subjective opinions of others and that doesnt help you build your own critical thinking skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Zucht View Post
    that swtor is pvp balanced
    Not really. It's just not skewed as horribly as WoW. There are some pretty bad issues with PvP in SWTOR. No system is perfect though, and there is plenty to like about SWTOR PvP.

The big thing to take away from this post:
    Don't expect to walk into Warzones or open world PvP and expect to never get cc-freight-trained..... and for the love of deity, don't queue Warzones at 10-12.

10+ Year Old Account
    We already have multiple threads about this. Please do not create more. Thank you.