How does SwTOR compare to SW Galaxies?

I didn't, but i'm sure somebody here played it. ToR is not the first Star Wars MMO is it ! Apparently back then, it was the "rival " to Everquest. Is ToR to WoW what Galaxies was to Everquest?

Did you play Star Wars Galaxies? how does it compare to ToR? similar game? different focus? Good and bad points? Can ToR gain or take anything from Galaxies and use it? What features?

I liked SWG when it first came out, me and a bunch of my friends would have LAN parties and just play SWG, it was fun but then SoE decided to really drag it through the mud when people started to leave for other games like FFXI and WoW. But by far Bioware has done an amazing job with SWTOR that you really can't compare SWG and SWTOR, they're both Star Wars and that's about where the similarities end.

Deleted
    SWG was vastly different in it's style to what TOR is now. It was more a sandbox-y do whatever the fuck you want sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    SWG was vastly different in it's style to what TOR is now. It was more a sandbox-y do whatever the fuck you want sort of thing.
    i got the impression it was more Spacey, as in space travel rather than on planets. So far in star wars there sin't much i"in space" action, although it has enromous potential to include an entire space invaders sub game - they can do so much more than BGs and arenas, they could have proper space fights ...was this more wht Galaxy was?

i hear it was quite hard to become a Jedi in Star Wars Galaxy also, and Sith?

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    They are completely different games really.. while both where MMO's.. you have one on one end being a sandbox open world MMO and the other a classic raiding style mmo so they are very, very different to the point of almost being completely different types of games. Star Wars was player driven. The only modern comparison and that pales in comparison would be something like Marrowind (just to get a since of that open world chose your path style)

Deleted
    Galaxy had 3 phases

The "wacky fun" phase - Buffs were completely and utterly broken. But, it made a lot of the game more accessible to all assuming you could get buffed up. It had a lot of strange professions like image designer or entertainer. Personally, I went Teras Kasi (Martial arts) after a bit of soul searching.

The "Combat upgrade" - Fixed buffs, streamlined combat to a degree. Made it a bit more in line with normal MMO's. Buffs getting nerfed affected a lot of casual players who didn't pick up any combat professions. Got a second account here and hit max architect to create player housing, factories etc

The "New Game Experience" - Fucking ruined the game entirely. I cried. Kept going for 2 months, although I cancelled one sub straight off. 2nd one followed. Poor attempt at a WoW clone in a star wars game. The engine just couldn't handle it.

Worth noting crafting in SWG was ABSOLUTELY EPIC. Overcomplicated and very grindy, but you didn't just have materials. Each individal mat had different quality ratings that were useful for different crafting recipes, and materials cycled and changed every 2 weeks with different stats.

Originally becoming a Jedi involved various fun things such as hologrinding and visiting every fucking spot of their huge galaxy. Then you could just roll one from the start in the NGE. They had been suitably rare previously.

Space combat wasn't too bad, but under-developed. It was a lot like Freelancer by style and feel but lacked any real variety.

Game also contained no proper battlegrounds or dungeons or raids. It did have PVP arenas and heroic areas though

Depends on what point in SWG's history.

Pre NGE: Galaxies is faaaar superior.

Post NGE: SWTOR (or any other MMO for that matter) wins by a mile.

That said, I've seen many a fan of SWG (myself included) make a good argument that at it's prime it was one of the best MMO's ever.

It was exciting to know that you were basically playing a sandbox MMO where you could make a living doing just about anything, and still having fun with it. I always found it rather hilarious that most of the missions for Dancers were basically spying on people while giving them a lap dance.

And to this day I still think that the original incarnation of force users was the perfect way to set it up, and it made sense in the time line while being VERY rewarding for those who put in the effort.

I was horrified when I saw the NGE ruin what could have been a powerful contender to any top MMO today.

RIP SWG. You were my first modern MMO, and still my favorite.
    Last edited by Remnas; 2012-01-10 at 10:09 AM.
    "Imagine coming across a mentally disabled person who was not only drunk, high, but had a full frontal lobotomy leaving little to no intelligence left in their body.

He would be NORMAL, compared to me."

Deleted
    Unlike SWG this game is pretty good, it actually has Content, has a far more Star War Feel too it, is lightyears ahead of SWG in stability in bug fixes, in polish, in class balance, everything, and it has a tight storyline and doesnt mess around with the time frame or period its set in.

People like to get whimsical and peer through those rose tinted specs about SWG and how awesome it was back in the day,but it wasnt If that game launched today it would be laughed out of the park. TOR is getting a bashing about its bugs, SWG would have a forum meltdown these days, it didnt even launch with player mounts or the abilities to form player cities. SWG basiclaly invented FOTM templates, in the early months there were Creature handlers and their Pokemon Rancor armies, there was TK/pikeman melee stacking becoming unhittable, there were rifleman/combat medics wounding the hell out of mind and throwing poison packs like biological weapon experts, there was broken classes all over the place, the bounty Hunter system rarely worked, the Smuggler tree was never ever fixed, It was horrendus.

The one thing that kept this game from going under was the strong community it garnered, and then SOE shat all over that with the ..NGE? no they did it long before that with the Holocron and detailing how people became jedis bringing about the holo grind. People were actually forming communities despite the horrendus game with no content, and then they revealed how to make become a jedi - it entailed getting holocrons and grinding the class it told you to master, then getting another holocron getting another class and mastering it and so forth for 4 or 5 holocrons, then after the last one you had to guessm thus leading people to just grind mindlessly through every single profession.

This led to people macroing their way through the crafting skills, locking themselves in their house macroing out the cheapest most sub par armour, this led to the cantinas drying up due to AFK entertainers offering for free what people tipped and trying to work for, the Coruscant cantina was full of maybe 50 people all AFK. it destroyed the community as the majority just began the hologrind.

Player housing and cities? call them deserted shanty towns, because thats what they were.

It had 2 good things, the space combat and ship system and the crafting system, even those were less than perfect, space was empty and rife with bugs, the crafting system was even limited since there was very little scope for customisation or variation in armour and weapons there was a top one and everyone had that, people bascially sealed themsleves in armour they shouldnt have been able to wear with temporary stim shots, it looked like attack of the composite clones.

then came the NGE and you all know from there.

SWG was an absolutely brilliant idea in theory, a starwars sandbox for all to play in? who wouldnt love it i played it and enjoyed it a the time but looking back on it i sometimes wonder how, i think it was way ahead of its time before most things they wanted to put in were feasible, but it was empty, it was broken and it was doomed way before the NGE that just drove the nail in it.

so umm yeah its totally different sandbox to theme Park, if your after sandboxy type things you probably wont want this, if you want A SW themepark game its right up your alley.
    Last edited by mmoc00c6bd8f01; 2012-01-10 at 10:51 AM.

Deleted
    I actually think that they feel alot more alike than i thought going in to TOR. But sure they play differently, both questing and combat. SWG was a cool idea and had really cool elements but the biggest difference is that SWG had alot of latency problems, while TOR also have latency but alot alot less. The questing was just 2 different styles and i prefered SWG in a MMO since it was alot easier to group up with people in that game.

Simply said SWG is nothing close to SW:ToR, it's more of a sandbox.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyUK View Post
    Unlike SWG this game is pretty good, it actually has Content, has a far more Star War Feel too it, is lightyears ahead of SWG in stability in bug fixes, in polish, in class balance, everything, and it has a tight storyline and doesnt mess around with the time frame or period its set in.

People like to get whimsical and peer through those rose tinted specs about SWG and how awesome it was back in the day,but it wasnt If that game launched today it would be laughed out of the park. TOR is getting a bashing about its bugs, SWG would have a forum meltdown these days, it didnt even launch with player mounts or the abilities to form player cities. SWG basiclaly invented FOTM templates, in the early months there were Creature handlers and their Pokemon Rancor armies, there was TK/pikeman melee stacking becoming unhittable, there were rifleman/combat medics wounding the hell out of mind and throwing poison packs like biological weapon experts, there was broken classes all over the place, the bounty Hunter system rarely worked, the Smuggler tree was never ever fixed, It was horrendus.

The one thing that kept this game from going under was the strong community it garnered, and then SOE shat all over that with the ..NGE? no they did it long before that with the Holocron and detailing how people became jedis bringing about the holo grind. People were actually forming communities despite the horrendus game with no content, and then they revealed how to make become a jedi - it entailed getting holocrons and grinding the class it told you to master, then getting another holocron getting another class and mastering it and so forth for 4 or 5 holocrons, then after the last one you had to guessm thus leading people to just grind mindlessly through every single profession.

This led to people macroing their way through the crafting skills, locking themselves in their house macroing out the cheapest most sub par armour, this led to the cantinas drying up due to AFK entertainers offering for free what people tipped and trying to work for, the Coruscant cantina was full of maybe 50 people all AFK. it destroyed the community as the majority just began the hologrind.

Player housing and cities? call them deserted shanty towns, because thats what they were.

It had 2 good things, the space combat and ship system and the crafting system, even those were less than perfect, space was empty and rife with bugs, the crafting system was even limited since there was very little scope for customisation or variation in armour and weapons there was a top one and everyone had that, people bascially sealed themsleves in armour they shouldnt have been able to wear with temporary stim shots, it looked like attack of the composite clones.

then came the NGE and you all know from there.

SWG was an absolutely brilliant idea in theory, a starwars sandbox for all to play in? who wouldnt love it i played it and enjoyed it a the time but looking back on it i sometimes wonder how, i think it was way ahead of its time before most things they wanted to put in were feasible, but it was empty, it was broken and it was doomed way before the NGE that just drove the nail in it.

so umm yeah its totally different sandbox to theme Park, if your after sandboxy type things you probably wont want this, if you want A SW themepark game its right up your alley.
    All true, if a little harsher than i would put it. Hologrinding was the worst 6months of my life (yes, it really took me that long)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilan View Post
    All true, if a little harsher than i would put it. Hologrinding was the worst 6months of my life (yes, it really took me that long)
    Hahaha yeah it does come off a little too harsh, maybe and i freely admit i am bitter about SWG a little, i do have fond early memories of going out with a group of friends completing some of the mission terminals and then sitting back in the anchorhead cantina healing my wounds with the band and being entertained by the dancers. I was probably bitter that at the time that got ruined when i went to AH and it became emptier and emptier, the dancers and entertainers were all off holo grinding.

But i also dislike the misconception that everything was all rainbows and light and fine and dandy in SWG until the NGE came along and ruined that whole thing, it had serious, serious issues before and noone seems to remember those, it's all SWG was the best ever MMO of all time until that dastardly NGE took it all away, and i can get carried away when i read that.
    Last edited by mmoc00c6bd8f01; 2012-01-13 at 11:01 AM.

Deleted
    Star Wars The Old Republic is the most expensive videogame ever produced. It's a really ambitious take on the Star Wars-franchise, much more than SWG ever was.

I see this game being able to compete with WoW in the long run. But frankly there are alot of flaws in the game that shouldn't have existed in the release so we'll see what bioware has in store for us.

They can't be compared at all.

It's like comparing warcraft 1 to WoW.

That beeing said, SWG had much more potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Remnas View Post
    Depends on what point in SWG's history.

Pre NGE: Galaxies is faaaar superior.

Post NGE: SWTOR (or any other MMO for that matter) wins by a mile.

That said, I've seen many a fan of SWG (myself included) make a good argument that at it's prime it was one of the best MMO's ever.

It was exciting to know that you were basically playing a sandbox MMO where you could make a living doing just about anything, and still having fun with it. I always found it rather hilarious that most of the missions for Dancers were basically spying on people while giving them a lap dance.

And to this day I still think that the original incarnation of force users was the perfect way to set it up, and it made sense in the time line while being VERY rewarding for those who put in the effort.

I was horrified when I saw the NGE ruin what could have been a powerful contender to any top MMO today.

RIP SWG. You were my first modern MMO, and still my favorite.
    What..?

Ok, I played SWG even before the NGE and this is just insanity to me. It was an amazing game because you could make a living being a dirt farmer, making and selling your dirt? It wasn't just any dirt, of course. There was Grade A dirt. Grade B dirt with flecks of Bantha Poop. The legendary Grade Z dirt, found at the spot where Luke Skywalker once took a piss behind some trees, saturated with the Force.

I had a GREAT time rolling up a character (Zabrak Marksman) because I wanted to kill stuff, and basically having no point to doing anything other than what basically come down to side quests with no real story involved. [If only I could make the word GREAT in that sound in your head as dripping with sarcasm.]

As far as that goes, it was a Star Wars game! They made you jump through 600 hoops to roll a Jedi, the one thing people picture when you mention Star Wars! Not Twi'lek Dancing-Dirt Farmers.

"I can sit in my little community and grow crops and make friends with the neighbors." Welcome to Farmville. Most people, however, would like a little Force with their Star Wars. That's why SWG only had a small, albeit rabidly loyal, fanbase. It wasn't making enough to be a serious competitor, thus the whole NGE thing that so many people bitched about.

Aww, your Dirt farmer couldn't get 20 buffs and run out and kill things. You were stuck with a dirt farmer, as it should have been if you'd chosen such an inane thing.

Now, I will go so far as to say that SWG was a valid MMO to those fans who really enjoyed it. Despite my hateful rants, there's nothing wrong with that. Grow your dirt with pride. However, to use terms like "faaaar superior" or "powerful contender" is simply laughable. It wasn't a "powerful contender" even before the NGE, and it wouldn't have been after. It would have been roughly the same amount of people, still growing their dirt, while everyone who'd just wanted to play a Jedi without a ton of hassle said screw it, and moved on to WoW.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

10+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2012-01-13 at 02:19 PM.