Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    As usual, no idea what you're going on about.

STOP suggesting to casual users that they shrink their pagefile to next to nothing. Do you have any idea what happens when they get a memory leak, or max their RAM out, especially if they only have 4 gigs?

Jesus...
    As usual, you're an asshat. (I'm sure I'm going to get infracted for this, but it's well warranted.)
    Firstly, you consistently pester Deltrus with replies discrediting his knowledge. It's unfair. If you have a differing of opinions, that's fine. Don't bring your opinion of him into your forum post. It's not fair to the OP.

Secondly, if you max out your RAM, 512MB of page file is going to be sufficient to keep you "safe". I rarely go above 4GB as it is.

Also, you're constantly writing to a page file, which decimates your read write life. Why would you want to reduce the longevity of your drive like that? It's not worth it at all.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As usual, no idea what I'm on about? Sounds like, yet again, another personal attack as usual. You say you have no idea what I'm going on about and YET then you berate me for telling someone to downsize their page-file, thus contradicting yourself. So really dude. Do you not have a clue what I'm talking about OR are you just trying to really make an enemy on the forums? Make a decision.

You have thus-far added NOTHING to this forum thread, the OP is now going to look at your post and just be inclined to go, "oh, who is this random person attacking Deltrus, who has so far only been trying to help me get the most out of my computer?" they are not going to just assume you are onto something.

So really, explain more and add more into your posts instead of starting them with a personal attack and just ending them with an annoyed J***s, it's not very respectful to the forum community as a whole.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

What size would you recommend

Edit:eeek looks like some personal drama.
    Last edited by Irielle; 2012-01-13 at 11:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayita View Post
    What size would you recommend

Edit:eeek looks like some personal drama.
    For a page file, 512 MB. I have an SSD @ 120GB and I still have a 512MB pagefile.

Don't decrease your pagefile. Seriously.

If you go and load up your SSD to its max, and then max your RAM (which will be beyond easy on 4-8 gigs considering you want to render raw fraps footage), AND shrink your pagefile you'll end up hard crashing your PC every time. Not to mention if you ever have a ton of browser tabs open... or a program decides to get leaky on you.

The above posters are simply uninformed.

---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 11:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    For a page file, 512 MB. I have an SSD @ 120GB and I still have a 512MB pagefile.
    Which is able to expand if needed. Deltrus is telling him to load his SSD up completely by means of shrinking his pagefile. If the OP ever runs into a problem, or tries to render those fraps movies, he's going to blue screen.

He shouldn't be blindly giving such poor advice, really.
    Last edited by glo; 2012-01-13 at 11:58 PM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh glo.

Yeah, I'm so uninformed... I render fraps footage about every other day. Plus I typically have over 20 tabs open in Google Chrome, you know how much RAM I typically use? Hardly ever even 5GB. If the OP has 8GB then that would completely invalidate your claims, and sure, if Ayita has 4GB, then we could just have them make the pagefile something like 2GB, can't be sure how big their pagefile is till they go in and check, really. If it's 4GB or something similar then obviously they have more stuff elsewhere.

And to be frank... with how easy it is to buy 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 RAM.... $40, if the OP wanted to make that upgrade they more than likely could. The way you're going about this really just seems you trying to pester me more as usual rather than help the OP figure out how they can make better and more full usage of their SSD.

btw no where did I say they should "completely load up their SSD." Now on the other hand - to more fully use their SSD, like a good 50GB actively used versus just Windows 7 on it - would be good and would actually give them their money's worth.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2012-01-14 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Added more at the end!
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Oh glo.

Yeah, I'm so uninformed... I render fraps footage about every other day. Plus I typically have over 20 tabs open in Google Chrome, you know how much RAM I typically use? Hardly ever even 5GB. If the OP has 8GB then that would completely invalidate your claims, and sure, if Ayita has 4GB, then we could just have them make the pagefile something like 2GB, can't be sure how big their pagefile is till they go in and check, really. If it's 4GB or something similar then obviously they have more stuff elsewhere.

And to be frank... with how easy it is to buy 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 RAM.... $40, if the OP wanted to make that upgrade they more than likely could. The way you're going about this really just seems you trying to pester me more as usual rather than help the OP figure out how they can make better and more full usage of their SSD.
    Stop trying to justify not having a pagefile available. It isn't wise and you know it. Just because YOU never go over 5 gigs, doesn't mean everyone else in the world doesn't. Hard limiting it to 2GB isn't even a realistic solution. The entire reason the pagefile exists is to prevent your PC from crashing and losing all of your work.

Also, did you ever ask how much RAM they have? No.
    Last edited by glo; 2012-01-14 at 12:06 AM.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you ever ask how much RAM they have? No.
    Did you?

Stop being a hypocrite.
    "A flower.

Did you?

Stop being a hypocrite.
    I don't need to ask him. I wasn't the one that suggested the asinine idea of shrinking the page file to 512MB with no room for expansion.

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because YOU never go over 5 gigs, doesn't mean everyone else in the world doesn't.
    Rofl. You say this like I was implying no one ever goes over 5GB. Come on glo, you know that I spend enough time on these forums to know better than something so silly like that.

My computer has been at a much higher RAM usage before, I just don't use it that way anymore/stopped running so many tasks at the same time, since I no longer need to.

Geeeee, I wonder what virtual machines do!!! Oh, I do know they use TONS of RAM! That's one little thing that uses more! :> Come on glo, quit the crap and be a little bit more helpful than not.
    "A flower.

My computer has been at a much higher RAM usage before, I just don't use it that way anymore/stopped running so many tasks at the same time, since I no longer need to.
    And guess what would happen if OP did the same. That's the point. Your advice was poor.

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, to be quite honest, there was a reason I was asking Ayita what their pagefile size already was... I simply posted a how-to from my inbox that also showed how to at least see what the pagefile is. I was suggesting that they could drop down their pagefile if they want more space on their SSD, obviously they would need to make sure everything else is golden and know the possible side-effects, but still, your personal attacks and insults were not warranted, back off.
    "A flower.

glo, there is a very big gap between the users smart enough to visit this forum to ask questions and your typical redneck user.

Let's keep our virtual fists where they belong. Words can hurt, too.

Just wanted to update. Thanks a bunch Deltrus! After talking with you via PM's I decided to go with reducing my page file to 1024 to have a little bit of a buffer. I now can fit both my OS and WoW on my SSD with about 14GB remaining free. I very much appreciate the help.

Deleted
    Ayita, sorry if I missed it in the thread but you can also turn off Hibernation and save another X GB (depends on the amount of RAM you got). Also if you ever did run out of RAM and crashed you can always just enable/increase the paging file

I personally have 8GB RAM and run my paging file at 256MB, never had any issues (that I know of).

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey no problem Ayita, always glad to help! And wow, 14GB free! Not bad!
    "A flower.

Notarget, isn't hibernation disabled by default for SSDs? o.o

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Notarget, isn't hibernation disabled by default for SSDs? o.o
    Nope. Mine is still active... I need to deal with that. >_>
    "A flower.