Mouse keyboard and monitors die.. but computer stays on

I have recently been having some problems with my computer. my computer itself is no older than 5 months. I installed a brand new nvidia 550 graphics card and along with a 450watt power supply ( that I had extra laying around from an old computer.) When I log into WoW, it's fine but when I log into my character ( with both monitors on my new video card ) both screens go out, mouse and keyboard loses power but my computer is still on. Anyone have any ideas? I have reinstalled windows, downloaded a new WoW and still the same problem. Right now I have one monitor on my on-board graphics card and it's not giving me a single problem. So my guess would be maybe not big enough power supply? maybe my motherboard? If anyone has any idea what the issue could be please post about it.

Thanks

What are your system specs? The only thing I can think of would be a power supply. If your graphics card doesn't have enough power, it won't be able to sustain a full load and you will see artifacts and other irregularities on your screen.

For that kind of graphics card I would recommend 650+, using "one from an old computer" is something I wouldn't recommend. As someone who just built my own PC 6 months or so ago, I had pieces of my old one that I could have used but I decided to go all out and buy anew, in my opinion that is the best method for you.

There are some good deals (MMO-Champ even has them on the homepage from time to time), find a PSU that's in your price range and run with it. Also, are your mouse and keyboard plugged into your PC directly? My setup is I have my keyboard (wired Razer Tarantula) and have my mouse (wired death adder) plugged into my keyboard which is plugged into my PC.

Hope all goes well for you!

Ok thank you, I am going to take a 850w and try that now.

Don't take wattage for granted.. Check amps on 12V rail. A quality brand 600W PSU will have around 40Amps on 12V rail, while shitty one might have even 15Amps.. I wouldn't run GTX 550 Ti with anything less than 28-30 Amps.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

You also may not want to go with way more wattage than you need. It will produce more heat. I run a Q6600, two internal hard drives, and a 560ti on a 550w psu without issue.

the 2 above posters are right, wattage isn't everything, do some research and make sure it fits the amount needed by your card, overheating will also mess a lot of stuff up.

I put in a 850watt and it worked perfectly fine so I went out to best buy and got a 600watt power supply and everything seems to be holding up fine. Thanks for the quick responses everyone.