heroics/hard modes were around before BC/Wotlk.

that's right, for those of us who missed it ZG was actually to my knowledge the first raid to implement any sort of adjustable difficulty. by downing the bosses leading up to the final boss you removed an ability from the final boss encounter for example defeating the bat boss got rid of his silence.

People praise ulduar for bringing these types of hard modes to us but we should all be thanking the original Zul'Gurub.

As correct as you may be, as far as I know leaving extra bosses up didn't make Hakkar drop extra/better loot, so it was rather pointless. This is where Ulduar kicked in, adjustable difficulty with rewards for doing so (same with OS).

15+ Year Old Account
    No, it didn't change the loot table so there was no point.

The first hard mode boss was the bug tri in AQ40.

what dangg said, the bug trio was the first hardmode ever made, and hakkar was also close to impossible if you left all the priests alive at the time of his release

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    No, it didn't change the loot table so there was no point.

The first hard mode boss was the bug tri in AQ40.
    This is true. Bug trio kinda was the first encounter with the option of hard mode.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evilgnomey View Post
    that's right, for those of us who missed it ZG was actually to my knowledge the first raid to implement any sort of adjustable difficulty. by downing the bosses leading up to the final boss you removed an ability from the final boss encounter for example defeating the bat boss got rid of his silence.

People praise ulduar for bringing these types of hard modes to us but we should all be thanking the original Zul'Gurub.
    Bug trio would like to speak to you.

ZG while not giving any extra loot still provided a challenge the more bosses you left up and according to many posts on the forum most people want a challenge. ZG was also before AQ from what i remember.

I wonder if people would still praise ulduar if ZG had bonus loot for making the boss harder or if they would be saying "oh look a copy and paste ZG".. interesting how different things could have been.

Ahh, bug trio.

And the arguing over who got the red scarab mount, 'cos it was so rare. If I remember correctly, all of ours except the red few we got went to /roll. There was so much bickering the red one had to be done by DKP..
    Originally Posted by Tseric
    When you can understand how a group of belligerent and angry posters can drive away people from this game with an uncrafted and improvisational campaign of misery and spin-doctoring, then perhaps, you can understand the decisions I make.

Deleted
    actualy,

Dire Maul tribute run would be the first "hard mode" inside an instance although 5 man.

which was in-game before AQ existed.

ZG while not rewarding "extra" loot, it meant you could get Hakkar's loot once every 3 days with jsut fighting him isntead of having to clear the place first which saved considerable time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Killing Hakkar with all the Priests up was near impossible, and definitely could not be done in the gear level required for ZG. Bug trio however is the first hardmode raid boss.

But by your definition OP, even Twin Emperors is a hardmode. You can decide to try and kill them when theyre stood on top of each other (good luck with that though) and there's plenty other fights that can be made artificially harder if not impossible. Doesn't mean it's a hardmode.