10+ Year Old Account

[GPU] Simply looking for opinion

I've posted here lots about "Oh, I want to eventually get a new gaming computer, blah blah blah." Well about 2 weeks ago I bought a desktop that was on sale, a Gateway DX4850-43c. Windows 7 64 bit, Intel i5 2300, GeForce GT 420 1024 MB GPU & 6GB DDR3 RAM. It runs wow like sex compared to what I was using before.

Getting to the point, I want to play Skyrim & other demanding releases at least with a large draw distance (Think "High" in WoW), high quality textures and a bit of smoothing on those jagged edges. Any framerate over 30 is fine for me. Right now I have my card set to these settings (Suggestions welcome) and it runs games like WoW & Starcraft perfect at what I would call mid range settings, typically high textures & particles & low everything else. Games like Team Fortress, Mass Effect 2 & Fallout 3 (along with a buttload of mods) run tolerably but certainly not ideally.

Now to the point. PSU seems to be under control for this card, but I realise I'm going to need a new one if I want a beefy card, thinking something along the lines of this. You know my goals in terms of performance. What would you buy if you were me? I'm not rich but I realise I'm going to have to spend some cash in order to get what I want.

So go ahead. Give me some advice. Let's hear your opinions.

Edit: I run at 1600 x 900.
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2012-01-11 at 03:12 AM.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    I've never even heard of that Rocketfish brand tbh. Of any on that site, I'd go for -bah, I can't post links yet, it's the Antec TruePower 550W on that site.

In terms of new graphics cards, you can't really go wrong with either an nVidia GTX560 or a Radeon 6870. Pretty good little cards for the price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatt1e View Post
    I've never even heard of that Rocketfish brand tbh.
    Reason I chose it is because I save a buttload of money off of it, it's about $55 for me. Tech guys say it's good compared to the top of the line, and for a price like that I can't go wrong. Rocketfish is one of those companies that just makes the accessories to whatever you're buying. We're not talking Dynex nor no name quality, their products are solid, and futureshop employees save loads on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatt1e View Post
    In terms of new graphics cards, you can't really go wrong with either an nVidia GTX560 or a Radeon 6870. Pretty good little cards for the price.
    Someone over at the nVidia forums said basically the same thing. The GTX 560 seems to be a great priced and powerful card for my needs.
    [/url]

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by palpableimmunity View Post
    Reason I chose it is because I save a buttload of money off of it, it's about $55 for me. Tech guys say it's good compared to the top of the line, and for a price like that I can't go wrong. Rocketfish is one of those companies that just makes the accessories to whatever you're buying. We're not talking Dynex nor no name quality, their products are solid, and futureshop employees save loads on them.

Someone over at the nVidia forums said basically the same thing. The GTX 560 seems to be a great priced and powerful card for my needs.
    GTX 560 Ti is what you want. That Ti is very important, and the Ti card is the single best bang for buck card on the market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    GTX 560 Ti is what you want. That Ti is very important, and the Ti card is the single best bang for buck card on the market.
    I'd like to know the difference between a GTX 560 & a GTX 560 Ti.

See signature.
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2012-01-10 at 10:27 PM.
    [/url]

560ti is better then a 560, kept it as simple as possible for you

Generally with a gfx card the more you spend the better as you can probably guess, but the sweetspot is definately 560ti/6870 at the moment, enough beef to run high settings on pretty much every game, and depending on what Res your playing at (What is it btw?) you can switch on some AA to smooth those jaggies.

As for your PSU, id be suspicious of any PSU with only 1 years warranty, tells me they arent to confident in there own products! The specs do point at being able to handle the system you want but having a reliable PSU is a *MUST*!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by davie View Post
    depending on what Res your playing at (What is it btw?) you can switch on some AA to smooth those jaggies.

As for your PSU, id be suspicious of any PSU with only 1 years warranty, tells me they arent to confident in there own products! The specs do point at being able to handle the system you want but having a reliable PSU is a *MUST*!!
    1600 x 900, sorry.

I talked to one of the veteran Home Office employees today and he said he bought the PSU for his gaming rig about 2 years ago and hasn't had a single issue. I believe in Rocketfish products anyways, and on top of $55 for this thing it's a safe bet in my eyes. Worst comes to worst I just buy another, right? Is there any SERIOUS risk of damage to my setup?

Also a 560 Ti is out of my reach, could only find a GTX 560.
    [/url]

The only thing in your computer that, if blows, has the potential to take everything else down with it is the PSU. Its a risk you take when taking an unknown PSU, and from what little research I've done on rocketfish it all points to being a definite risk, issues with sub par PSU's can range from power up issues, components not working to there potential and just an all out blowout and then you can wave goodbye to your other components as well.

Best advice i ever got was not to cheap out on a PSU, purchase a good one and you can re-use it again and again in loads of different rigs, buy a cheap one and take on the risk of having issues all the time, I'm talking from exp here as well, first build I did I had an unknown PSU and I had all sorts of issues until eventually i gave in, went and researched a good PSU and never looked back

560ti will run 1600x900 on BF3 at ultra comfortably, possibly even some AA in there. a 560 wouldn't be far off that at all but its not the best card for its price, I'd go for a 6850 and spend a bit more on a decent PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121419

as an example 6850, good price and good performance

EDIT: Stretch to a 6870 if you can, still cheaper then a 560ti and similar price to a 560.
    Last edited by davie; 2012-01-11 at 12:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by davie View Post
    The only thing in your computer that, if blows, has the potential to take everything else down with it is the PSU. Its a risk you take when taking an unknown PSU, and from what little research I've done on rocketfish it all points to being a definite risk, issues with sub par PSU's can range from power up issues, components not working to there potential and just an all out blowout and then you can wave goodbye to your other components as well.

Best advice i ever got was not to cheap out on a PSU, purchase a good one and you can re-use it again and again in loads of different rigs, buy a cheap one and take on the risk of having issues all the time, I'm talking from exp here as well, first build I did I had an unknown PSU and I had all sorts of issues until eventually i gave in, went and researched a good PSU and never looked back

560ti will run 1600x900 on BF3 at ultra comfortably, possibly even some AA in there. a 560 wouldn't be far off that at all but its not the best card for its price, I'd go for a 6850 and spend a bit more on a decent PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121419

as an example 6850, good price and good performance

EDIT: Stretch to a 6870 if you can, still cheaper then a 560ti and similar price to a 560.
    Thanks for the anecdotal information! $55 is a fantastic price, but would I pay $55 so I can possibly buy a new computer? No, I wouldn't. Not at all. That being said, it may be the only option I have for a couple months if my current PSU can't handle a new card at all. Speaking of which, where could I find that info?
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shambulanced View Post
    Accccccccccccccctually. Dynex, Belkin, and Rocketfish products are all owned subsidiaries of Best Buy/Future Shop. The markup on those items is insanely high, even if they're cheaper than the competition. Which is why employees of Futureshop and Best Buy get them for so cheap, because the employee discount is "retail base price plus 10%," or something close to that, if I recall correctly.

Not that I would have been in a position to know that or anything...*cough*
    See signature.

Infracted. Don't insult our users.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-01-11 at 02:35 PM.
    [/url]