Thread: Build Help :D

  1. #1
    Bloodsail Admiral Rendia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arse-end of Nowheresville
    Posts
    1,168

    Build Help :D

    Here is my current build that I am planning. I am not too great with the hardware of PCs, so please be gentle if I made a few blunders.

    MOBO: ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    GPU: EVGA 02G-P3-1559-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (this is not currently available at newegg, so I am hoping that it will either become available or that i can find an equivalent of around the same price, any suggestions would be great)
    Case: Rosewill ARMOR Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST250DM000 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R
    PSU: Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply
    CPU Heat Sink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

    Let me know what you guys think, and again, thanks in advance and please be gentle if I fecked up somewhere.

    EDIT: My budget is close to $800 USD. A little more would be alright, but not much.
    Last edited by Rendia; 2012-01-10 at 05:13 AM.

  2. #2
    not good with computers
    chaud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,082
    Spending a little more on a 2500k build with a better PSU and GPU would be a wise choice. The m59 is a cheaper but still very nice case if you want to save a little there.

  3. #3
    Field Marshal Charvie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Behind you...
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Spending a little more on a 2500k build with a better PSU and GPU would be a wise choice. The m59 is a cheaper but still very nice case if you want to save a little there.
    I find in practicality my Phenom II x6 runs better than my friends 2500k, but on paper the 2500k performs better (being that its Overclocked moderately).

    OP: I would stick with x6 IMHO

  4. #4
    Scarab Lord Fuzzykins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US - Akama
    Posts
    4,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Charvie View Post
    I find in practicality my Phenom II x6 runs better than my friends 2500k, but on paper the 2500k performs better (being that its Overclocked moderately).

    OP: I would stick with x6 IMHO
    Sorry, but disregarding factually based charts is the exact mindset that breeds ignorant fanboyism.

    OP: Disregard this. He has no idea what he's talking about.

  5. #5
    Moderator Marest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Charvie View Post
    I find in practicality my Phenom II x6 runs better than my friends 2500k, but on paper the 2500k performs better (being that its Overclocked moderately).

    OP: I would stick with x6 IMHO
    There is little reason to go for a Phenom II X6 1055T over a i5 2500k if your primary use will be gaming. The 2500k is faster per core than the 1055T, which means better performance in games. The extra 2 cores on the 1055T will do absolutely no good in the majority of games (>99%). If however the OP was looking at buying a computer to be used for (e.g.) video editing and rendering, then the 1055T becomes a potent choice at that price range (arguably at least).

    See more here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...2100-tested/17

  6. #6
    Bloodsail Admiral Rendia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arse-end of Nowheresville
    Posts
    1,168
    Well, a 2500k build is about $70 USD more than what I had there, and I am already at about $840 USD. Having a tough enough time already convincing my wife that the amount is far from a lot, and necessary.

    This Intel is the same price, but only a dual core, but would you recommend it over the AMD I picked?

    Intel Core i3-560 Clarkdale 3.33GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics

    EDIT: Also, really only gaming with it, and all I really NEED is to hit 40 FPS on about medium settings, that's barest for me, not too picky, tbh, just looking to upgrade over my 6-7 year old system.
    Last edited by Rendia; 2012-01-10 at 02:26 PM.

  7. #7
    Moderator Marest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,228
    Let's see...

    Newegg lists the ASUS M5A99X EVO for $149:99 and the 1055T for $149:99, which is roughly $300.

    The i5 2500k is $219:99, which leaves around $80 for a motherboard. You won't find a good P67 or Z68 board for $80 unless you find a nice deal, but here are some examples at different price points (of course, landing you above $300):

    MoBo: MSI P67S-C43$99.99
    MoBo: Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3$104.99
    MoBo: MSI P67A-G43$114.99 Review
    MoBo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3$124.99

    My vote's on the ASRock Z68 Extreme3, but either of the boards above would be just fine. If you aren't into overclocking, you might want to consider this:
    i5 2400: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115074
    ASRock H67M (B3): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157233
    (Total: $270)

    You can also shave some money off your planned build:
    - The PSU is slight overkill; a good 450-500W is enough. For example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151094
    - I'd upgrade the GPU to either a 6850 or a 6870. If you want to stick with nVidia, I'd probably recommend trying to upgrade the 550 Ti to a 560; the 550 Ti is a fairly weak gaming GPU. I believe the GTX 460 is a better choice as well.
    - You don't have to pick up fancy RAM or an aftermarket heatsink (unless you plan to overclock).

    Take a peak here for some further examples on builds: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds
    As you can see, at $700 and $800+ a 2500k build is very possible. E.g.:
    Budget Gaming 700
    MoBo: MSI P67S-C43$99.99
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k$219.99
    RAM: G.Skill 1600MHz Ripjaws 2x2GB$29.99
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6870$164.99
    HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB$99.99
    PSU: XFX ProSeries 450W$58.99 Review
    Case: Xigmatek Asgard II$39.99 Review
    --------------------------------------------------
    Estimated Total Price – $714

    Recommended for:
    Strong budget gaming build that can tackle
    most newer games. Has a fairly nice upgrade
    path as well.

  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral Rendia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arse-end of Nowheresville
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Let's see...

    Newegg lists the ASUS M5A99X EVO for $149:99 and the 1055T for $149:99, which is roughly $300.

    The i5 2500k is $219:99, which leaves around $80 for a motherboard. You won't find a good P67 or Z68 board for $80 unless you find a nice deal, but here are some examples at different price points (of course, landing you above $300):

    MoBo: MSI P67S-C43$99.99
    MoBo: Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3$104.99
    MoBo: MSI P67A-G43$114.99 Review
    MoBo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3$124.99

    My vote's on the ASRock Z68 Extreme3, but either of the boards above would be just fine. If you aren't into overclocking, you might want to consider this:
    i5 2400: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115074
    ASRock H67M (B3): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157233
    (Total: $270)

    You can also shave some money off your planned build:
    - The PSU is slight overkill; a good 450-500W is enough. For example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151094
    - I'd upgrade the GPU to either a 6850 or a 6870. If you want to stick with nVidia, I'd probably recommend trying to upgrade the 550 Ti to a 560; the 550 Ti is a fairly weak gaming GPU. I believe the GTX 460 is a better choice as well.
    - You don't have to pick up fancy RAM or an aftermarket heatsink (unless you plan to overclock).

    Take a peak here for some further examples on builds: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds
    As you can see, at $700 and $800+ a 2500k build is very possible. E.g.:
    Wow! Thanks a ton, I am definitely going to look into this!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •