Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by psychedelica View Post
    I dont get why people name Non-official genres. Dubstep is techno. call it hard techno or others but its the same. alot of techno sound with non balanced rythyms.
    This is sort of what I was talking about with people calling anything electronic "Techno".

yes i know what techno or Dubstep its. however ive heard simmilar tone and rythem, the only different is retarded Robot sounds.
    Yea ok so you don't. Was pretty obvious already but whatever.

Been listening to techno since the early 80's started with kraftwerks and since then most electronic now is just pop techno artists like deadmau5 LMFAO skrillrex are perfect examples of pop techno. Nothing wrong with it really it brings new listeners into the genre but the problem is most of these kids(yes im 36 and listens to techno) dont go deeper and listen to what i consider non pop techno such as early sasha and digweed early chemical brothers paul oakenfold and they miss stuff like Beardyman. for example...youtube beardyman arcadia youll have your mind blown but most people wont ever see this because of pop techno

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gamerdork7584 View Post
    Been listening to techno since the early 80's started with kraftwerks and since then most electronic now is just pop techno artists like deadmau5 LMFAO skrillrex are perfect examples of pop techno. Nothing wrong with it really it brings new listeners into the genre but the problem is most of these kids(yes im 36 and listens to techno) dont go deeper and listen to what i consider non pop techno such as early sasha and digweed early chemical brothers paul oakenfold and they miss stuff like Beardyman. for example...youtube beardyman arcadia youll have your mind blown but most people wont ever see this because of pop techno
    Skrillex makes Brostep and Dubstep and Electro House. Deadmau5 makes Electro House and Progressive House. LMFAO make Electro House. None of those = Techno.

But I do get your point, a lot of people only hear mainstream electronic stuff, which is not necessarily the best representation of their genres, and they're missing out on the best artists.
    Last edited by OriginalVocalMix; 2012-01-14 at 03:39 AM.

Metal suffers from the same issue. Frankly, it seems little more than a pointless reason to argue, or to give people some false sense of having their own little obscure pocket of music that they're solely into... which is pretty ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    The is the category for tsfh is epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I dunno, I think EDM (and IDM, whatever that bullshit is) is confused with Electronic Music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlVIrQb7Vk4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BZ_vNEQJ2I

Call me a cynic but I can't really see people dancing to this.
    both tunes are beats in 4 that are quite easy to follow, after the intros (and they're both fun to listen to, don't get me wrong). I don't see how those are even close to un-dance-able.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    both tunes are beats in 4 that are quite easy to follow, after the intros (and they're both fun to listen to, don't get me wrong). I don't see how those are even close to un-dance-able.
    I guess I'm a grumpy person, but I just don't see people dancing to Swarms or Volor Flex. The music is generally a little too melancholy. But then again, the only real live show I've been to was EDC 2011 and it was absolutely nothing but Skrillex and Deadmau5.

No, genre classification is not subjective. There are agreed-upon classifications for what certain music sounds like. It's advisable to educate yourself on what these genres entail.
    Agreed upon by whom, exactly? Some magazine or critic, or other self appointed arbiter?

Some make sense, and some sub-genre labelling is necessary. Others (norsecore? yeah, ok) are just bullshit, and should probably be dismissed entirely.

---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 11:08 PM ----------

I guess I'm a grumpy person, but I just don't see people dancing to Swarms or Volor Flex. The music is generally a little too melancholy. But then again, the only real live show I've been to was EDC 2011 and it was absolutely nothing but Skrillex and Deadmau5.
    Hmm. Well either way, thanks for linking them, I now have 2 new acts to listen to that I'd never heard of prior. Electronic music in general tends to not be my thing, so it's rare that I find something I actually like.

This happens with any art form its not really limited to music. Really its the people that are deepest into the culture/scene/clique that really understand and use the terms. Most people its always better to have them list the bands they like instead of ever using a genre term. I have to admit Metal and Electronic Music are the worst about sub-genres. Most alt-rock/hipster music/indie rock people are too lazy and arrogant to invent new terms for their genres. There is still a lot in that scene, but man does Metal and Electronic love to invent new genres. When you look at a lot of it its time and place that create the genre. As time passes people want to distance themselves from that sub group and create the next sub group as something new and these old subgroups really die out in a sense. That is unless the people are still doing it 20 years later themselves. For the most part you only use sub-group terms when talking to other people you know in the scene/culture/clique, general folks its better to talk specifically about bands/groups/artists because that average person probably has no clue.

I have a feeling that a lot of this happens in Electronic and Metal because those two genres seem to be progressing and growing more so than other genres of music, sans maybe Rap which is slowly developing into tons of legit sub-groups and underground scenes. Electronic and Metal seem to be the only ones actually putting new things out that isn't a throw back, it seems all other genres are in a hardcore throwback mode instead of moving forward in the art form.

TLDR; sub-genre terminology only should be used within the group, use direct references when talking to average guy or new person to group.
    Last edited by Zoldor; 2012-01-14 at 04:18 AM.

Agreed upon by whom, exactly? Some magazine or critic, or other self appointed arbiter?

Some make sense, and some sub-genre labelling is necessary. Others (norsecore? yeah, ok) are just bullshit, and should probably be dismissed entirely.
    The collective of people who listen to a wide variety of music "intelligently". I hate to use that word because it's pretentious as fuck, but if I could lend an example of two people -- one sort of just listens to the hits on some albums, sticks with more well-known acts and doesn't really deviate much from normal tastes (i.e. will listen to mostly metal, for example); the second makes a conscious effort to listen to a wide variety of music, generally appreciates an artist's arrangement of the album and listens to said albums in full, tries to increase their knowledge on particular styles of music, etc. The second type of person would fall under that collective category. In short, musical classifications are put together by people who know music. Still sounds pretentious as hell.

Hmm. Well either way, thanks for linking them, I now have 2 new acts to listen to that I'd never heard of prior. Electronic music in general tends to not be my thing, so it's rare that I find something I actually like.
    Oh, no doubt. Electronic Music is probably the area that I listen to the least, but I've found that these artists definitely have an appeal that's outside most Electronic Music listeners. I'd also check out Burial, he's the artist that Swarms and Volor Flex pretty much draw influence from. That style is what's more closely associated with Dubstep before it hit mainstream markets with the aggressive offerings that Skrillex and other artists have done. Skream is also a must-listen if you want to dive a little further.

The collective of people who listen to a wide variety of music "intelligently". I hate to use that word because it's pretentious as fuck, but if I could lend an example of two people -- one sort of just listens to the hits on some albums, sticks with more well-known acts and doesn't really deviate much from normal tastes (i.e. will listen to mostly metal, for example); the second makes a conscious effort to listen to a wide variety of music, generally appreciates an artist's arrangement of the album and listens to said albums in full, tries to increase their knowledge on particular styles of music, etc. The second type of person would fall under that collective category. In short, musical classifications are put together by people who know music. Still sounds pretentious as hell.
    IDM would be the perfect example for this. You won't ever see any artist that's the real deal calling his own music Intelligent Dance Music.

---------- Post added 2012-01-14 at 06:39 AM ----------

If you like Swarms, I suggest you check out stuff like Burial and Scuba. Great dubstep producers. Four Tet might also be your thing.

ok sorry am dumb as hell. Dubstep is a new genre i wont listen, its not techno what i said. so am sorry for those who "hate me" beause of what i texted.

for the confusion Emo, the thing is that i consider the word Emo a negative word to use, and when i listen to songs and trying to define the genre i listen to the instrument and sound from the band/ singer. thats why i dont like placing a genre called "Emo" at songs because i consider it as a lyric based theme. sure it sound sad and depressed however alot of different genre has it so do we all call them Emo? its like saying its a happy song/ angry song. hope you get me what am trying to say badpaladin.

ok sorry am dumb as hell. Dubstep is a new genre i wont listen, its not techno what i said. so am sorry for those who "hate me" beause of what i texted.
    Well, there's not really any reason for hatred; I know I certainly don't hate people for being incorrect. Pre-2010/2011 Dubstep sounds ridiculously different than some of the stuff that's been hitting mainstream media. There are a lot of people who like the aggressive nature and focus on "the drop" that this newer style gives, but it's also understandable if you don't like it (I really don't care for it either). Artists mentioned like Swarms, Burial, Volor Flex, Skream and Scuba are great examples of what Dubstep sounds like when it's not aggressive in nature.

for the confusion Emo, the thing is that i consider the word Emo a negative word to use, and when i listen to songs and trying to define the genre i listen to the instrument and sound from the band/ singer. thats why i dont like placing a genre called "Emo" at songs because i consider it as a lyric based theme. sure it sound sad and depressed however alot of different genre has it so do we all call them Emo? its like saying its a happy song/ angry song. hope you get me what am trying to say badpaladin.
    It's true that the word Emo has serious negative connotations because a lot of people apply it to something that's not even closely related. Emo is more related to Hardcore Punk than anything else (the style was loosely called "emotional hardcore" to signify that it was less about anger), and although the lyrics can often times deal with depression they cover a wider range of lyrics. It's not uncommon for bands to have a self-conscious image, writing about the state of certain aspects of the world, the fear of death, self-realization about a variety of different things, etc. Then again, those lyrics aren't really restricted to Emo either -- almost every genre writes about that in one form or another.

For example, here's a Christian Emo/indie rock/post-hardcore song about confusion with Christian Faith (with some riffs that would make you think this is anything but "emo"):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1G19l4SLPk

I mean, bands like Jimmy Eat World are classified as Emo, at least some of their earlier stuff. It's a shame that the genre was somehow associated with depressed teenagers, because the content of many of these songs is way more in-depth than being depressed about high school relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    Also, I'm really jealous. Tobin's sound design is amazing, and this new visual thing... holy shit.
    Man, ISAM, the album, is so freaking excellent. That's scary.
    I feel the same as you, I wished I could have been there and see how he pulled that live out.

Thanks badpaladin for that song. it was beutiful song. another song goes to my spotiify account ;D
    i like those calm music. i myself listen most to Placebo and the black angels however they are not labled by "Emo" more of alternativ and Psychedelic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Too many of these are mostly mixed together in one way gabber house is actualy house or earlystyle where house of this time is more dirty house yet most of all the different styles are sub parts of earlyhouse/hardcore,Techno and DNB
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2012-01-28 at 04:26 PM.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog