Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

No more BCS in 2013?

I did not watch the championship game last night, however, I did look on ESPN to see who won.
    First time in the history of a championship game there was a shut out: Alabama 21, LSU 0.

Now the SEC are great teams, but are they the best?
    We have ad 6 SEC teams that have won the BCS championship game but this year it was a 100% guarantee of an SEC Champion.
    This was a huge disappointment for many teams, especially when Ohio State and Michigan were the best 2 teams in that year a few years back but they never got the special treatment like the SEC has had these past few years.

http://www.nola.com/bcs/index.ssf/20...re_for_bc.html
    (source)

This website discusses the changes likely to occur in the future for the BCS.
    I tried to look up a source to post which my grandfather was telling me today that they already said "No BCS in 2013" but I failed to find it.

What is your opinions on this matter?

It's got to go. And I think last night is really going to go a long way into getting changes made. The AD's are getting restless. The fans are sick. Ratings are down. Change is coming.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll believe it when I see it. I really don't think that the people controlling the BCS are going to go quietly into the night. They have too much support from ADs, conference commissioners, etc. that they are pumping millions of dollars into. I honestly don't think we will see substantial change. If anything, they will got to a 4 team playoff, keep all the bowls, keep all the biased polls, keep the completely unknown computer systems, and make slightly more money thanks to the extra game. I am a big champion of the 16 team playoff format. Every conference gets the conference champion in plus 5 selection bids made by a committee of knowledgeable people who watch college football for a living. That same committee reseeds the 16 teams and a playoff begins. It works in basketball, why not in football.

The NCAA crowns National Champions in 88 sports. EIGHTY EIGHT. Not 89 though as they don't control the National Champion in by far their biggest sport that makes as much revenue, probably more, than every other collegiate sport combined. How does that make sense to anyone?

10+ Year Old Account
    SEC commish proposed a plus one format in 2008 and the other conferences shot it down. Blame them for an SEC Vs SEC championship game.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    SEC commish proposed a plus one format in 2008 and the other conferences shot it down. Blame them for an SEC Vs SEC championship game.
    Roose please don't think I'm attacking you. The problem with SEC wanting the plus one is that it would still deal with the bowls system and well, the location of the bowl system favors them. The conference that DIDN"T want the plus one or playoff are bucking the system due to the traditional bowls they have set up...ie B1G and Pac 12 having Rose Bowl ties. A bowl that has over 100 years of tradition.

I think the "meetings" that are going on are an attempt to hush the general public and give some "love" to a stagnet system. I think like concript said, it will be a small playoff like 4 teams.

Here is the issue, I have a 4 game system would sovle alot but not fix everything. This year for instance, I belive that 'Bama was the best team, but in years past they wouldn't have been given a shot. The LOST a home game, didn't go to the conference championship game, weren't the confernce runner up and still GOT VOTED into that game. In the 4 team plus one system, if they win out, they deserve it. As it stands they probably shouldn't have been in. If 'Bama wasn't in the SEC they wouldn't have been voted in. To many that shows there is not integrity in the game or the voters.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...format-changes

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a South Carolina fan, and I do in fact believe the SEC is the strongest conference no doubt. Look at teams like Oklahoma State losing to Iowa State? Lol what? Who? But I do believe a playoff is the ONLY true way to find a real champion. Do I still think an SEC team will come out on top? Yes, but that is the only true way to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    I am a South Carolina fan, and I do in fact believe the SEC is the strongest conference no doubt. Look at teams like Oklahoma State losing to Iowa State? Lol what? Who? But I do believe a playoff is the ONLY true way to find a real champion. Do I still think an SEC team will come out on top? Yes, but that is the only true way to find out.
    Unfortunately, no one would be able to take what you say seriously because they would see you as a biased SEC fan. Especially considering you do not know who Iowa State is. They would assume you watch only SEC games or very few games outside of SEC country.

A playoff has been needed for a long time. Doubt the system the NCAA decides to implement will be any good though.

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    Funny OSU lost by a field goal, just like the soon to be national champion Alabama did. Only 'bama played the team it lost too twice, have weeks to prepare and got a shot to play that team they probably shouldn't have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Linking here because I don't see why this wouldn't be a good idea, and I have no good ideas of my own

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post14488034

You've got every conference champion, and four at large teams. Now, adding to this, force each conference to play a conference title game. You can't miss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasey View Post
    Funny OSU lost by a field goal, just like the soon to be national champion Alabama did. Only 'bama played the team it lost too twice, have weeks to prepare and got a shot to play that team they probably shouldn't have.
    Bama lost to LSU. OSU lost to Iowa State! How is this so hard for people to understand? You do not deserve anything if you lose to Iowa State. You are lucky to even be in the discussion after such a pathetic loss. Iowa freaking State!!!!!

There will ALWAYS be people bitching. Look at the fans who lost to IOWA STATE that think they deserve a title shot. That is straight up bonkers. Look no further than that to see there will always be delusional fans that think they deserve more than they do.

People bring up non-conference champ thing, well there should be a "lose to Iowa State" clause that says that any team that loses to a sub-.500 team automatically disqualifies them from any BCS game. That is far more telling of a team than a lack of conference title. A champion does not lose to a 6-7 team.

Again, they keep adding to the number of teams in basketball and there are teams every year that should make it that don't. No matter how many teams you include their will ALWAYS be controversy. A simple solution is the plus 1 system. Who would argue about title if Bama whooped OSU after LSU? However, if that were the case, Bama would likely have played OSU as the 2 and 3 with LSU playing Stanford. It would still be LSU and Bama in title.

---------- Post added 2012-01-10 at 07:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Linking here because I don't see why this wouldn't be a good idea, and I have no good ideas of my own

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post14488034

You've got every conference champion, and four at large teams. Now, adding to this, force each conference to play a conference title game. You can't miss.
    Not a fan at all of automatic qualifiers because they can kick out deserving teams to get in. I guess it would not be as bad as basketball and based on the entire resume instead of a team simply getting hot during their tourney.
    Last edited by Roose; 2012-01-11 at 01:43 AM.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Bama lost to LSU. OSU lost to Iowa State! How is this so hard for people to understand? You do not deserve anything if you lose to Iowa State. You are lucky to even be in the discussion after such a pathetic loss. Iowa freaking State!!!!!

There will ALWAYS be people bitching. Look at the fans who lost to IOWA STATE that think they deserve a title shot. That is straight up bonkers. Look no further than that to see there will always be delusional fans that think they deserve more than they do.

People bring up non-conference champ thing, well there should be a "lose to Iowa State" clause that says that any team that loses to a sub-.500 team automatically disqualifies them from any BCS game. That is far more telling of a team than a lack of conference title. A champion does not lose to a 6-7 team.

Again, they keep adding to the number of teams in basketball and there are teams every year that should make it that don't. No matter how many teams you include their will ALWAYS be controversy. A simple solution is the plus 1 system. Who would argue about title if Bama whooped OSU after LSU? However, if that were the case, Bama would likely have played OSU as the 2 and 3 with LSU playing Stanford. It would still be LSU and Bama in title.

---------- Post added 2012-01-10 at 07:40 PM ----------

Not a fan at all of automatic qualifiers because they can kick out deserving teams to get in. I guess it would not be as bad as basketball and based on the entire resume instead of a team simply getting hot during their tourney.
    You are completely leaving out the outside factors surrounding OSU that weekend. They played the same day the school endured a HUGE tragedy. You cannot begin to measure how much that may have played on the team and its performance. As much as I loved getting a shot at wiping that smirk off Les Miles face and then following through on it, A champion does not lose its conference. A champion does not lose its division.

And it's a little delusional to assume Stanford and OSU would lose to both Bama and LSU. Two of the best offenses in the country against two teams with abyssmal offenses and no QB. You can't assume anything.

The BCS sucks.

"Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business playing in the national championship game." -Nick Saban.
    Last edited by RollTide; 2012-01-11 at 05:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nick Saban never said that. If he did, you could easily show proof, but you cant because he never said it.

You call yourself a Bama fan?
    I like sandwiches

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
    "Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business playing in the national championship game." -Nick Saban.
    People are still spouting this crap? He has never said this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfoxx View Post
    Unfortunately, no one would be able to take what you say seriously because they would see you as a biased SEC fan. Especially considering you do not know who Iowa State is. They would assume you watch only SEC games or very few games outside of SEC country.

A playoff has been needed for a long time. Doubt the system the NCAA decides to implement will be any good though.
    I know who Iowa State is, they are a hardly even a half decent football school. Not even comparable to LSU.

Deleted
    Is this about that sport called hand egg?

Please read the forum rules ~Myrrar
    Last edited by Myrrar; 2012-01-11 at 01:36 PM.

Roose you are correct, championship teams shouldn't lose to a 6-7 team, nor should a championship team lose at home and score zero TD's to a divisonial rival, yet it happened.

'Bama had it shot. The only got its shot due to SEC bias and the fact there was a .33 difference in the cpu's and coaches votes. So in essence people decide to do this and not the play on the field. The same people who voted Michigan #8 in the nation and OSU #5 in the nation. Really, OSU (Ok state) had 4 better teams in the country?
    Had 'bama lost the same weekend that OSU did would this be a conversation?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in587241.shtml
    "I don't think anyone will know who the legitimate national champion is unless all three teams in consideration get the opportunity to play one another," Nick Saban
    He did however say this! ^^^^

I remember when everyone thought it was delusional for 'Bama to beat LSU in the NC game and that happened. Until something changes, this will be debated over and over. 'Bama had its shot and didn't capitalize and got a second chance. OSU due to a missed kick, we will never see how it would have come out.
    Last edited by Chasey; 2012-01-13 at 08:01 AM.

What I learned from the current BCS system:
    -One year, a 1v2 matchup of the same conference is wrong and unpopular and the "outcome was already decided by the previous matchup". Then years later, the same discussion is put forth and this time its all about "getting the best teams into the game"
    -One Coach votes his team up and another specific coach and his team down in the final BCS before bowl match ups are decided. While a few years later the ladder coach does the same thing and the former coach cries foul.
    -One Coach cries (in some form or another) foul and gets his team into the title game, while another cries foul and doesnt get daylight.
    -One Team loses their conference title and gets into the National Championship game despite getting steamrolled(unforgivable). Wait....the BCS was consistent on this one, a team lost and claimed no conference title, and on 2 occasions said team got in.

How is anyone surprised by the decision of who plays who when the BCS does a full 180 and the participants encourage the system?

IF theres anything i can agree on this year, yes, the BCS got it right, but as TV ratings indicated, its the matchup few wanted.

The only way you'll see the BCS abandon their own system is if the ratings dip so low, that their pockets are lined way less. They just write their own rules and change them when it's convenient.

If i got a 16 team bracket, id be happy to turn on my tv every week to see the chaos. Im asking for more than can be delivered right now, but id love to see what every other level of college football does.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The BCS got it right this year I know I am going to get flamed by SEC haters but It's suppose to be the best 2 teams in the league and nobody but each other could have beaten LSU and Bama. Didn't K-State have the second best record in the Big 12 and lost to to Arkansas who had the 3rd best record and only lost to the no1 and no2 teams in the country. Look the only people you all should be blaming is Ok.State for losing to a very crappy team in Iowa State and don't give me this crap about the plane wreck because they where ahead in that game, did the all of a sudden go man that was messed up what happened lets fell bad in the 2nd half and get owned by a team with a crappy record. The Big 12 in bowl games only played 2 teams that where in the top 25 and they went 1-1 the big 10 went 2-2 vs top 25 in the bowl games the pac 12 went 1-2 and the sec went 3-1 vs top 25. I mean who could you have made the argument for vs LSU in the the BCS championship game and have a serious face about it. If the fans and school's of other conferences want to get all mad about SEC winning then do something about it and get better players and better coaches. If the BCS was Bias wouldn't they have put a team that would have drawn more viewers instead of the best 2 teams.

TL'DR the BCS got the game right by putting the best 2 teams against each other and the other conferences need to get better instead of crying about how bias the BCS is.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    TL'DR the BCS got the game right by putting the best 2 teams against each other and the other conferences need to get better instead of crying about how bias the BCS is.
    Guess you can say you are correct cuz I'm tired of saying the same points over and over. And...until there is a playoff we will never know.

Its terrible that VOTERS picked who played the game instead of a letting the players decide. Frankly "bama blew its shot 5 weeks prior by losing at home and never should have had the rematch. No way you lose at home, don't play or win your conference and win a national championship it wouldn't happenIN ANY other sport. Just read the quote that saban said in 2003.

Maybe other conferences should just bend the rules like the SEC does and then it will be an even playing field but the SEC is willing to screw over upperclassmen to stack rosters.

As a fan that was a crap game. The viewers spoke and other than 'Bama, LSU or SEC fans, everyone knows that game was crap.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasey View Post
    Guess you can say you are correct cuz I'm tired of saying the same points over and over. And...until there is a playoff we will never know.

Its terrible that VOTERS picked who played the game instead of a letting the players decide. Frankly "bama blew its shot 5 weeks prior by losing at home and never should have had the rematch. No way you lose at home, don't play or win your conference and win a national championship it wouldn't happenIN ANY other sport. Just read the quote that saban said in 2003.

Maybe other conferences should just bend the rules like the SEC does and then it will be an even playing field but the SEC is willing to screw over upperclassmen to stack rosters.

As a fan that was a crap game. The viewers spoke and other than 'Bama, LSU or SEC fans, everyone knows that game was crap.
    Didn't the packers and giants win the super bowl as a wild card team who didn't win there division I mean I beat there is a Super Bowl winning team that beat a team in the big game that lost to that same team earlier in the year.