Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddycen View Post
    one reason Nintendo came up with the WII is that they knew that Mobile gaming won't last that long.
    Uhhhh, where did you read this? I think they came up with the Wii as simply a continuation of their consoles.... they were keeping up with Microsoft with the Xbox 360, and Sony with the PS3. I don't see how it really has anything to do with the mobile gaming market. Nintendo has always had a mobile gaming part and then a console part.

Now what we need is for them to get their games available on the PC. -.-
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Curse my inability to let things go!

First of all, about the heat-issue: you are stuck thinking about current technology, still. There was a time when people had no clue about thermal paste, water cooling, heat sinks, silent fans, and so on. I am by no means an expert on this topic (and I'm sure it shows!), but anyone with a brain can figure out that there is already new technology and innovation being tested and worked on, or else invented in the near future, to solve these issues. I've never said that overheating isn't an issue today, nor that it will be solved before the year's end - but I do remind you that we've always thought of current problems as impassable and impossible, only to figure out a way how to solve them later, once new tech and new ways of thinking about them has lead the way.

A nearly redundant example is flying, and how defying gravity in such a way was at first thought impossible, due to the laws of physics and the limits of our species. We found ways around it, that's what we always do. Also, building flying machines would be impossible before first inventing the wheel, the sail, and so on. Perhaps there are still a few inventions left to make before we can come up with the truly brilliant solution to all of our heating problems.

And about the mobile market: saying people do not buy phones and tablets for games is misguided. The truth is that we buy that tech for the entire package: calling, texting, surfing, gaming, watching movies, listening to music, keeping our schedules and calendars accessible, etc., WHILE BEING 'ON THE ROAD'.
    This means that we love having all of that stuff accessible to us wherever we go, and in one place, instead of having to sit glued by the desk or sofa and having a hundred devices/books/calendars/phones to keep track of.

The fact that mobile devices haven't been as popular during the last 20 years as desktop devices only means that mobile technology hasn't sufficiently met our demands due to limited technology and the sheer size of technology, while desktop versions have been better at doing so. You wouldn't expect to be able to play sophisticated games or browse the internet at a decent speed on phones even 6-8 years ago. Then came the first truly sophisticated mobile hardware, and the rate at which not only the devices sell since, but also how well the games do on the Android and Apple markets, quite frankly demolishes your arguments.

It is true the console/PC market is massive, but it is very small compared to the mobile market, and considering how powerful the Project Fiona device is already, I see no reason why devices like it wouldn't outlast the traditional consoles and PCs in the coming decades.

By all means, I am not saying that people do not want to sit down comfortably in a sofa or chair in front of a massive TV or monitor, with peripherals like the console controllers or keyboard and mouse, and play games or work like that. I am saying, however, that these mobile devices will meet those demands AND the new portable demands. You CAN plug your keyboard into your Fiona, or your Fiona into your 50" TV, and given another few years of development, these devices will be smaller, cooler, and more powerful than the Fiona. Why, then, would ANYONE buy and old lump of a console?
    Last edited by mmocf747bdc2eb; 2012-06-04 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    First of all, about the heat-issue: you are stuck thinking about current technology, still.
    The problem is of course that we only have current technology. While it's nice to look towards the horizon, there's also such a thing as being slightly within the realm of reality. I'm sure everyone are thinking that it'd be awesome if we could somehow snap the neck on the issues we have, but we can't just magically bypass it either with products that are currently in development.

And this thread isn't about a theoretical, reality-bending product.

Deleted
    A lot of people without vision in this thread.

Fact: There is a growing demand for portability. Right now, phones and tablets allow you to bring entertainment with you wherever you go, and EVERYONE wants one of those devices. But there is still that demand to bring your true PC experience with you. It gets stale being limited in what you can do with your tablet or phone. Playing Angrybirds for 1 hour is awesome. For 5 hours? Not so much.

Fact: Price and speccs of the Fiona are actually quite good. For $1000 you'd get a medium-range desktop rig at best, and a relatively shite laptop. That's not worth it when it comes to the system you keep at home. You (or at least I) want to make sure to spend at least $2-3 k for that. For a device which is almost as good as my stationary desktop rig, but still feels as portable as a tablet, I'd definitely be prepared to pay $1000.
    Fact: The bolded parts are not facts.

Curse my inability to let things go!

First of all, about the heat-issue: you are stuck thinking about current technology, still. There was a time when people had no clue about thermal paste, water cooling, heat sinks, silent fans, and so on
    You can't fit big heat sinks, fans or water cooling in tablets. Do you really think they'll be making something as technically capable as a desktop in the size of a tablet? Why are companies doing that now?
    Last edited by mmocca70d558a3; 2012-06-04 at 01:30 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    And about the mobile market: saying people do not buy phones and tablets for games is misguided. The truth is that we buy that tech for the entire package: calling, texting, surfing, gaming, watching movies, listening to music, keeping our schedules and calendars accessible, etc., WHILE BEING 'ON THE ROAD'.
    This means that we love having all of that stuff accessible to us wherever we go, and in one place, instead of having to sit glued by the desk or sofa and having a hundred devices/books/calendars/phones to keep track of.
    Wait, am I mistaken? Or did you just make a blatantly painful declaration, saying that anyone essentially who buys phones/tablets wants the gaming?

In fact, my parents both have phones with more than enough games on them, but guess what? They don't game on them. My dad has his iPhone 4S for work and an hTC Inspire 4G (same as my sister and I have) for personal-life and he does not use either to game on, even in his free time. If he chooses that he wants to game, guess what he uses? The PS3 in the house. My mom is not even the gamer-type at all, video games will rot your brains etc etc.

Surfing the web? Nope, neither of them do it.

Watching movies? I think my parents would laugh at the idea of watching a movie on such a small device and say "let's look this up on the computer or TV, where we can better see (and hear) it."

Listening to music? I never seem to see my mom listen to music and my dad has his iPod for that.

Only my dad uses his phone at all for scheduling/calendar stuff.

So please dude, stop stop stoppppppppp making such blatantly FALSE claims. You have for the past few pages and it is getting very old. I just proved your post invalid, you should have said some of the population buys phones/tablets for this, but definitely not all.

In fact, to further invalidate it... .... I personally have gamed a little bit on my hTC and I must say.... it gets so old so fast, even Angry Birds, which I like, amongst other games. The controls of having a mouse and keyboard destroy a phone's touch screen so hard that not only is gaming on a phone both neck/eye-straining, but it is also a pain in the ass and can get boring, too, with how basic the games still are. You won't be playing Skyrim on your phone. bahahahhaa! And yeah, even if I am out for the whole day, for instance, I will not game on my phone, whether I am with friends or alone, I'd rather just text people or appreciate the world around me.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

See, the problem with that is that it's already happened that part. My phone already does everything. So what does the Razer Fiona do to fulfill anything there that my phone alone didn't already fulfill?

I mean... it plays PC games? That's pretty cool, except the logistics of the Razer Fiona creates imo a horrible PC gaming experience right off the bat...

Deleted
    I think we are viewing this the wrong way.

Essentially, I believe the Razer Fiona (or whatever it will be called - if it gets released) will make mobile gamers play PC games, not make PC gamers go mobile. I mean, as a generalization. I think the Fiona might fit very well in the hands of a console gamer for example, opening up the PC world on a familiar platform. I have a hard time seeing the (hardcore) PC gaming crowd pick this up (again, generalizing) - even if there very well may be exceptions - but for a console gamer with a bit of money to spend this might be a very interesting product to get into and experience the PC gaming scene.

Edit:
    As for the whole "mobile gaming is taking over"; there's definitely something to it, but I think it will co-exists like it does today for years to come. One will not cause the extinction of the other. There are a number of reasons to this - most have been discussed already. Tablets, smartphones and other mobile platforms are becoming cheaper and more available for the common consumer and in the process they get and experience mobile gaming. I know a lot of people with no prior experience or interest in games that have picked up numerous titles on their iOS or Android devices simply because it's so attainable and easy to pick-up and play.

For the less casual (or should I say more experienced?), I think powerful gaming machines that can push higher resolutions and graphical quality, while offering more sophisticated gameplay elements, are here to stay - at least for the time being, looking at current hardware and gaming trends. Time might come when "PC gaming" becomes obsolete, but I believe this will happen in the same wave as the PC itself (as we know it) becomes obsolete - and that is at least more than just a few years away.

Edit2:
    As for the discussion regarding thermals/heat - I believe they are making progress in biochemical computer engineering where the thermal-levels is a very minor issue.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-06-04 at 11:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Razer the new Alienware wanna be

User was infracted. Please don't be unconstructive. Try to contribute.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-06-05 at 12:26 AM.