Poll: Insanity vs P90X

Insanity vs P90X

The two 'powerhouse' DVD's from Beachbody. I hear a lot of people say one is vastly superior than the other in certain aspects, probably the most repeated line is, 'Insanity is for losing weight, P90X is better for building muscle'.

Now, I have yet to buy P90X (dont feel too excited about having to buy all those weights). But I did buy Insanity, and I must say, the idea that it is only good for cardio is incredibly ignorant. I was in shape and pretty well built before Insanity, and Ive noticed an increase in muscle mass and strength (esp in my legs, obv :P).

So, the golden question, which of the two do you guys think is better? This takes into account price, any extra equipment/food, and how much they benefit your health OVERALL (not just muscle mass or cardio).

Btw, I included the sequels because I want to know which one I should get :P

10+ Year Old Account
    they are both good, just depends on what you're looking for and what type of workouts you like to do. Insanity has a ton of calisthenics incorporated which people think is just for cardio and that is so far from the truth. Anytime you are using your body weight in vigorous movements during an exercise you are going to build strength and muscle while also getting a good cardio workout in.

P90x focuses more on sculpting the muscles for the more toned look and isn't quite as good of a cardio workout as insanity. If you are already in shape and want to build more muscle for that ripped look then go with P90x. If you want to look tone then go with Insanity. The main difference is bulky muscle look vs lean muscle look.

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

I agree with what Fogkin said they are both good videos. I am currently doing them both at the same time. I do P90X Mon, Wed, Fri, and then Insanity Tues, Thurs, Sat. It seems to be a more well rounded workout than just doing one of either videos at a time.

Neither is vastly superior to the other in different aspects. Insanity is probably better for overall cardio endurance and P90X is probably builds a bit more muscle, but doing either is going to get pretty similar results.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brogrom View Post
    I agree with what Fogkin said they are both good videos. I am currently doing them both at the same time. I do P90X Mon, Wed, Fri, and then Insanity Tues, Thurs, Sat. It seems to be a more well rounded workout than just doing one of either videos at a time.
    which workouts for p90x are you doing? when I did it I used the schedule found http://www.p90xworkoutschedule.org/ and it worked out well. I used resistance bands instead of free weights, next time through I'm going to use free weights, in the process of buying a few sets, so far I only have 2x30 lbs dumbbells, going to buy a set of 20 and 40 too. Damn things are pricey though.

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

The one that I am currently doing is from here. I am just substituting Yoga and rotating in another of the Insanity workouts.

You won't build much muscle on P90x, the diet supplied is more suited to losing weight, and the workouts are very intense, long and with high reps, you're gonna be working yourself too hard for too long, burning too many calories and not eating enough to build a lot of muscle, even if you adjust to lower rep sets, its overtraining for muscle building.

For what its worth i did the P90x program last spring after putting on weight during the winter, I lost 3stone in weight (42lbs), toned up, my fitness and strength improved greatly, it is a great beginners or lazymans workout fitness/weight loss scheme, but not a muscle building one.

I used freeweights and did what I think was called the "Classic" program.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2012-01-13 at 01:36 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    You won't build much muscle on P90x, the diet supplied is more suited to losing weight, and the workouts are very intense, long and with high reps, you're gonna be working yourself too hard for too long, burning too many calories and not eating enough to build a lot of muscle, even if you adjust to lower rep sets, its overtraining for muscle building.

For what its worth i did the P90x program last spring after putting on weight during the winter, I lost 3stone in weight, toned up, my fitness and strength improved greatly, it is a great beginners or lazymans workout fitness/weight loss scheme, but not a muscle building one.

I used freeweights and did what I think was called the "Classic" program.
    Not true, it all depends on what you want. He says it in the videos, if you want to cut up and get lean, go with less weight and more reps. Want to gain mass, more weight and less reps. Just depends on what you're using P90X for, it gives you options.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Neither is vastly superior to the other in different aspects. Insanity is probably better for overall cardio endurance and P90X is probably builds a bit more muscle, but doing either is going to get pretty similar results.
    Aerobic vs. Anaerobic. Insanity brings you further into anaerobic metabolism than P90X ever would. I wouldn't say similar results when comparing the two products. Any amount of exercise will burn fat, but high intensity cardiovascular activities, such as calisthenics, will yield better long term results. That's not a professional opinion, but close enough. It all depends on your body type and how your body processes waste, stores fat, and builds muscle.

I've known 215 lbs, 6'0" guys who have 4% body fat that can run 2 miles in around 13 minutes. I've also known guys that were around the same height and weight with 6-7% body fat that ran 2 miles in around 18-19 minutes; significantly slower than their counterparts. Some people are genetic freaks when it comes to body building and cardio; some have no cardio at all but could lift the front end of a compact car. Others could chase the car down then roll it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    Not true, it all depends on what you want. He says it in the videos, if you want to cut up and get lean, go with less weight and more reps. Want to gain mass, more weight and less reps. Just depends on what you're using P90X for, it gives you options.
    Na P90x is way overkill, its just overtraining, you won't gain muscle on that, since the diet is based around cutting and the workouts are based around high rep intensity, even if you do low rep heavy weight sets, you're still way overdoing it for building muscle by following the workout vids. And if you ask any trainer, or go to any bodybuilding website, they will tell you the same.

It is a great workout, but you can't build(grow) muscle on something that is designed mostly for general fitness/core strength and losing weight. In otherwords you can't grow while you cut.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4