the answer to "why is there no GvG PvP?"

a lot of the GW1 players don't like the fact that there is no Guild vs. Guild PvP. Here is the official answer to it:
    Ten Ton Hammer: Any sort of plans for Guild vs. Guild PvP?
    Eric: No, that’s one thing that is a pretty big departure. The reason we didn’t want to do it is that even in guild vs. guild in Guild Wars 1, we found that what we had to do is create a lot of systems to circumvent that. It was just really hard to get that many people all from the same guild on at any given time.

What we’ve said instead is that our guilds are going to be about building social networks, and if there is a group of people that are the hardcore PvP guys they’re all going to be in the same guild anyway so that’s OK. And they’re going to register as a team, and be known as the team from a specific guild and build up a reputation. And then that gives them the flexibility that if they want to have a top team along with a team 2 and team 3, they can do that kind of thing. So we wanted to disassociate the two things.

Now in World vs. World there are things like guild keep claiming, so you will claim a keep that your world has conquered, and your guild can claim that and fly their banners, they can upgrade it, spend resources, and do all kinds of stuff.
    We haven’t talked that much about our guild activities and things like that, but we want to have systems so guilds have reasons to play together, and we’ll talk about that once we have more of it developed. But guilds in our game are going to be all about social networking and giving them reasons to play together, but not forcing them to do anything.
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/103799/page/3

its clearly a good decision if you ask me. If you want to play with 10 of your friends/guildies in PvP against 10 others, there is still:
    Hot join play uses a game selection system similar to many FPS games which allows individuals or groups to join a game based on map, available space, and other settings. It will have variable team sizes which can be different per server so might be one versus one, five versus five or ten versus ten.

It was mentioned in an interview that players will be able to join the same server regularly, forming groups of players that frequently play together.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Structured_PvP

ADD-EDIT:

Luna Atra: We would like to learn more about the PvP mode which will replace competitive GvG, what shape does it take and what are the aims on the maps (death match, take the flag …?). ArenaNet stated that, in order to make this competitive game mode a real e-sports, eight players was too great a number. Since I cannot imagine an effective competitive PvP with four players (and I cannot think about odd numbers) must we infer that the groups will be six players?

Jon Peters – Game Designer :
    Competitive PvP in Guild Wars 2 will take a few forms. There will be hot-joinable pick up play that will allow larger team sizes, as well as tournaments that have fixed sizes and times. We aren’t currently revealing the game formats, but there are a number of shared goals that we want our PvP game types to have. They should all be easy to join in the middle of play and scale well to different team sizes. They should be equally fun for casual and competitive play, with dynamic team-based objectives. They should be observer friendly and avoid stalemate situations. Most importantly, they should be FUN.

Many competitive sports and e-sports do use an odd or varying number of players. Soccer is played with 11 players per side, unless it is indoors and then it is played with six. Counterstrike uses five person teams for competitive play. We believe that in order to build a more cohesive user base for competitive PvP the team size for tournaments should be smaller than eight (to make it easier to form teams), and should remain consistent between all game types and tournaments ( to avoid fragmenting the user base). We are not yet revealing the actual team size, but it will be greater than four and less than six.
    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/interview_et...c_arenanet/#vo
    Last edited by Maarius; 2012-01-13 at 06:51 PM.

Hot join looks awesome ^^

it's pretty easy to tell why there is no gvg, WvWvW is to blame, anet doesn't have unlimited money, so stuff has to be cut, 2 pvp modes are an obvious comparison and the one that falls short is cut

and the idea that structured pvp=gvg makes me laugh, gvg had dedicated leader boards, prizes at the end of a season and dedicated map that played completely different to the tombs pvp with a completely different metagame because of that (iway for instance never got as big in gvg as it did in the tombs)
    so no, it's not the same, not even close

Hot join makes me really happy. I've always been a fan of that kind of system because it gives you a lot more control over what you're getting into. That and it's basically the same system used in a ton of FPS games so it's familiar

am I mistaken or there are 88 (98) people playing there... is that from CB?
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Wait its called Guild Wars doesn't that imply a need for war between guilds
    Krakshot - MM Hunter
    Humiliation - Prot/Holy Paladin
    Purification - Disc/Holy Priest

Originally posted by someone or the other :
    Don't try and make sense of a game that sends you dragons in the mail

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zortha View Post
    It depends upon your emotional response and preconceptions.

Deleted
    They didn't base the name around GvG PvP, they based the name on the lore which Guild Wars have.

Yeah, but it doesn't imply that the game has to set the guild directly against each other, though.

Deleted
    It refers to this: the Guild Wars

Quote Originally Posted by jtgizmo View Post
    am I mistaken or there are 88 (98) people playing there... is that from CB?
    Perhaps, but maybe this was in the demo\alpha or whatever client they used for conventions and showing off?

Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    it's pretty easy to tell why there is no gvg, WvWvW is to blame, anet doesn't have unlimited money, so stuff has to be cut, 2 pvp modes are an obvious comparison and the one that falls short is cut

and the idea that structured pvp=gvg makes me laugh, gvg had dedicated leader boards, prizes at the end of a season and dedicated map that played completely different to the tombs pvp with a completely different metagame because of that (iway for instance never got as big in gvg as it did in the tombs)
    Funny structured pvp has all those things as well
    Funny that the metagame's of structured pvp will be different to the metagame of WvWvW
    I believe the Metagame of the structured pvp will be different from map to map (we will have to wait for release to find out)
    makes me laugh how ppl try to say it's not...
    structured pvp was made so more ppl could get into the well.....structured pvp without the restriction of requiring a guild.

a mode that needs a guild DOES NOT EQUAL competitive metagame.
    ohh and btw
    structured pvp is to blame for lack of GvG
    WvWvW is to blame for lack of AB :P

The game is named after the Guild Wars an event that happened way way before the first game...so yeah it still works :P
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../ArtifactTitle
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2012-01-11 at 02:08 AM.
    I haven't enjoyed myself this much since the sacking of Coruscant!
    -Malgus playing the Mesmer

Quote Originally Posted by SPeedy26 View Post
    Funny structured pvp has all those things as well
    makes me laugh how ppl try to say it's not...
    structured pvp was made so more ppl could get into the well.....structured pvp without the restriction of requiring a guild.
    was made? structured pvp was always in gw in the form of tombs (or whatever they renamed it to)... did you even play GW1? hell I think there even was a matchmaking option, although this one usually didn't get you far
    although that one didn't have ranking iirc, it did have the hall of heroes which were bragging rights by them self

Quote Originally Posted by SPeedy26 View Post
    a mode that needs a guild DOES NOT EQUAL competitive metagame.
    ohh and btw
    structured pvp is to blame for lack of GvG
    WvWvW is to blame for lack of AB :P
    GW didn't need guilds for competitive pvp (hell i mostly only played GvG with guild mates, for tombs I had a different groups I used to run with), there were plenty of organized non guild teams in the tombs and of course some that were made up by people from the same guild, gvg was merely another option with it's own objectives and thus it's own metagame, you didn't need dedicated runners and cripplers in tombs, you did in gvg

and what AB? i can only think of arathi basin, which is a conquest type game, which is in GW2
    Last edited by Enosh; 2012-01-11 at 02:15 AM.

was made? structured pvp was always in gw in the form of tombs (or whatever they renamed it to)... did you even play GW1? hell I think there even was a matchmaking option, although this one usually didn't get you far
    although that one didn't have ranking iirc, it did have the hall of heroes which were bragging rights by them self
    yes I did play GW did some GVG (not much) never did HA (reason I didn't notice tombs).

GW didn't need guilds for competitive pvp (hell i mostly only played GvG with guild mates, for tombs I had a different groups I used to run with), there were plenty of organized non guild teams in the tombs and of course some that were made up by people from the same guild, gvg was merely another option with it's own objectives and thus it's own metagame, you didn't need dedicated runners and cripplers in tombs, you did in gvg
    ok your talking about GvG the game mode, I was talking about the format (the fact that gvg required a guild to get into it)
    yes GvG the game mode is gone Anet stated they only wanted one game mode at launch so balancing wouldn't get out of control, also they wanted to get E-sport focus on structured pvp it is a much easier/safer to build a pvp community around 1 metagame compared to how they split the PvP community with the the multiple they had in GW.

and what AB? i can only think of arathi basin, which is a conquest type game, which is in GW2
    alliance battles
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/AB
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2012-01-11 at 02:41 AM.
    I haven't enjoyed myself this much since the sacking of Coruscant!
    -Malgus playing the Mesmer

They got rid of flagstand/guild lord/VoD (a.k.a. GvG) because it just never produced the kind of competition they wanted. They tried really hard to crack e-sport with it, but it never really worked. Key moments were too hard to point out (to even knowledgeable GW1 players), battles were too long, and the basic mechanics had to be reworked multiple times because people found ways to abuse them. I get the impression they decided to simplify the game mode options so they could focus on making the actual combat more interesting. I don't think they miss GvG or wish they had been able to work it in.

something official I found a few minutes ago:
    Luna Atra: We would like to learn more about the PvP mode which will replace competitive GvG, what shape does it take and what are the aims on the maps (death match, take the flag …?). ArenaNet stated that, in order to make this competitive game mode a real e-sports, eight players was too great a number. Since I cannot imagine an effective competitive PvP with four players (and I cannot think about odd numbers) must we infer that the groups will be six players?

Jon Peters – Game Designer :
    Competitive PvP in Guild Wars 2 will take a few forms. There will be hot-joinable pick up play that will allow larger team sizes, as well as tournaments that have fixed sizes and times. We aren’t currently revealing the game formats, but there are a number of shared goals that we want our PvP game types to have. They should all be easy to join in the middle of play and scale well to different team sizes. They should be equally fun for casual and competitive play, with dynamic team-based objectives. They should be observer friendly and avoid stalemate situations. Most importantly, they should be FUN.

Many competitive sports and e-sports do use an odd or varying number of players. Soccer is played with 11 players per side, unless it is indoors and then it is played with six. Counterstrike uses five person teams for competitive play. We believe that in order to build a more cohesive user base for competitive PvP the team size for tournaments should be smaller than eight (to make it easier to form teams), and should remain consistent between all game types and tournaments ( to avoid fragmenting the user base). We are not yet revealing the actual team size, but it will be greater than four and less than six.
    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/interview_et...c_arenanet/#vo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Peters
    but it will be greater than four and less than six
    That could mean 5.5 man. The .5 man being your scrubby friend.