Poll: How much renown do you like?

Hero Renown and Anonymity

During questing, we're often represented as the last, and only chance for the world, or anonymous heroes and adventurers, or even mercenaries that are totally expendable.

Which do you prefer and why?

Do you find the issue of the fact that if you're the ONLY hero then how are there 9 million others doing the same thing, or in the goblin starting zone, working with the same folks, and even dating the same goblins? Or in the Gilnean start zone where you're a personal friend to the king?

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Do you like it or hate it when Guards salute you and laud your accomplishments?

Are you one of the players that considers the NPCs 'ingrates' for not recognizing your past accomplishments or that you've slain gods and dragons and such?
    Twas brillig

I like some of the recognition things they do. Like when you meet up with the guy from your Swift Flight Form quest again in Hyjal; that was a really neat addition.

Some of the other things though, I don't know, it feels a little awkward. Like when you get to the docks in Northrend for the first time, and everyone starts gushing over you "we heard about all your great deeds in Outland!" It was kind of cool the first time, on that character who had all sorts of accomplishments in BC. I totally get that. But these days on my alts I kind of want to respond "Thanks but are you sure that was me you heard about? Because I was only there for like a week, and just killed a few Ogres..." :S

I probably don't care too much either way I suppose, but it's certainly good for a chuckle now and again. I guess I think some more anonymity wouldn't hurt though.
    Last edited by sarahfireworks; 2012-01-13 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling *sigh*

10+ Year Old Account
    It's nice to be remembered. Little things like that make the world seem less stagnant.

Saurfang's reiteration of hoisting Nef's head on a pike thanks to you, for example, was a nice tie-in.

I like what the Dalaran guards do when you go to/from the flying mount pad, they salute you and talk about you when you're exalted with Kirin'tor (The Sha'tari skyguard NPCs pioneered that, IIRC), that is nice and makes me actually feel a bit beyond merely being "Random soldier X", having NPCs mention my previous accomplishments in quest-text (Like Gyran Stoutmantle up in Grizzly hills wondering which of the three rewards i chose back in Westfall for killing VanCleef), those two thigs have one big advantage: they can be easily ignored when you just want to get things done

I think most of what bothers me about it (which isn't much, but a little) is that it isn't at all tailored to the character. What if you're a rogue? Why would your exploits be known far and wide?

Since we know it has nothing to do with our character, it feels about as satisfying as a forced smile - you still get the smile, but you know it isn't genuine.

How much cooler would it be if your *actual* accomplishments triggered *actual* responses that made sense? Yeah, yeah, I know. Dream on, buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahfireworks View Post
    I like some of the recognition things they do. Like when you meet up with the guy from your Swift Flight Form quest again in Hyjal; that was a really neat addition.

Some of the other things though, I don't know, it feels a little awkward. Like when you get to the docks in Northrend for the first time, and everyone starts gushing over you "we heard about all your great deeds in Outland!" It was kind of cool the first time, on that character who had all sorts of accomplishments in BC. I totally get that. But these days on my alts I kind of want to respond "Thanks but are you sure that was me you heard about? Because I was only there for like a week, and just killed a few Ogres..." :S

I probably don't care too much either way I suppose, but it's certainly good for a chuckle now and again. I guess I think some more anonymity wouldn't hurt though.
    I agree. What would be a great idea to continue is how the dealt with the Isle of Quel'danas and the Shatari Skyguard. Once you reached a certain rep, then the NPCs would exclaim at your greatness, or make inside jokes with you.
    || Ducivo ||

Bump. I would like to keep the polled group growing.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    the recognition stuff is at the very least amusing, and helps add to the immersion when its appropriate, such as recognizing exalted status

The whole 'I've heard much of your actions here in *zone*' always puts a little smile on my lips, being recognized like that is always nice, but I wouldn't have it go too far like an npc would say 'Hey, you're the one who helped kill The Lich King, Deathwing, Illidan, Kil'jaeden, Nefarian, Onyxia, Magtheridon, Ragnaros and pretty much every other bad guy!', then I'd all of a sudden feel more like a god than an adventurer, and even though I think the adventure feeling died out with Wrath, I'd still like to retain the little of it that is left.