Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Marauder is Fury Warrior + Feral Druid (with as many abilities as both combined haha)

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSN View Post
    Depends. If you spec the Shadow tank it plays a lot like a (TBC) Tank Paladin or more like a mix of the current Tank Paladin and the TBC Tank Paladin. Some abilities are such extremely similar, like Kinetic Ward having 8 charges, as Holy Shield in TBC had 8 charges (definitely more than a maybe... we have judgments, holy shield, SlowTime plays a lot like a HotR, combat technique is like a tank blessing, Harnessed Shadows is like WoG, etc.).

Also, the Sage is a lot like a discipline priest if specced for heal.

The Jedi Knight is a lot like a warrior.

They do in some cases. And I don't see why some people have a problem with this. Does it make SWTOR in any way lesser? No.
    I don't have a problem with it, the main issue I have is that this isn't the first thread on this (and I doubt the last) and it always turns into a flamefest because the classes don't directly match up to WoW.

The game feels very WoW'ish in most respects, but not in a BAD way.

The main nail in the coffin to comparisons is that a healer in SWTOR can actually do respectable DPS unlike WoW where they're worthless to the level of being impossible to quest as.

15+ Year Old Account
    Operative is actually closer to Druid in style with a tint of Rogue. Proactive healing. Stealth. With a decently geared tank companion can actually solo alot incl. champions. Being hated by people in PVP.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanberry View Post
    Lightning Sorcerer (and the sage equivalent) is almost exactly an Elemental Shaman. You have Lightning Bolt (Lightning Strike), Chain Lightning, Lava Burst (Thundering Blast), Flame Shock (Affliction), and follow basically the same rotation. You stack up damage buffs from crits, regen force (mana) from reduced mana costs on spells based on crits, have an Elemental Mastery clone as your DPS cooldown, thunderstorm-like knockback+damage ability, and so on.

There are a few differences, like using Chain Lightning as a proc rather than more Lava Bursts, being more of a "glass cannon" with magical/force defenses rather than a mail+shield class, of course not having totems -- but the resemblance is VERY strong.
    and you also have a ton of abilities that make you think "affliction warlock"

these threads are always people who don't know wow copied EQ (who copied people too) vs people who just want a good game.

I play a Jedi Shadow Tank spec.
    It is a weird, crazy, combo of class mechanics:
    I got Stealth, Shadow Strike (Backstab), Mind Maze (Sap), and Force Cloak (Vanish) like a Rogue.
    I got a Stance for +150% Armor (like a Blood DK) since Shadows tank in Light Armor, and makes it so I got a 50% chance to generate a small self heal on any attack I land (like a Paladin's Seal of Light)*.
    I got Force Pull (skill point ability), that is just like a DK's Death Grip.
    I got Kinetic Ward (skill point ability), that is basically a Warrior's Shield Block (increase block chance by 15% for 20 sec, 8 charges, CD of 12 sec).

So umm... can't really say it is like any ONE class.

* This mechanic is being tweaked in the next patch, to heal a little less frequently, but for a fair bit more. Currently it doesn't scale well at all... I got 13000 health, and it heals me for 40... wait a second, that is like around 0.3%. It currently can heal once every 1.5 seconds. In the patch 1.1, it will be once every 4.5 seconds, but for more, and scaling better with level.
    Last edited by ZeroEdgeir; 2012-01-11 at 02:34 PM.

Sith Warrior/Jedi Guardian - wow Warrior

Operative - Rogue

Healing Classes - I can't speak for Focus users, but with no mana, means you can't just go out and spam heal people, you actually have to manage it, which is very good. Maybe gear in the future will speed up the way Heat regenrates. So I think Healing is completely different in this game.

Merc BH - I see where you are coming from with the Arcane Mage, but no. Merc BHs have far many more DPS abilities than a Mage.

This just in! SWTOR copied WoW, which copied EQ, which copied DnD which copied....

Why do you think certain character archetypes show up in like every single game ever?

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Jedi Sentinel plays just like a Fury Warrior, without the obvious "white hit" auto attacks.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

If ur wanting to start a healer having played all the healers in both wow and swotr i can say this
    Operative plays similarly to a resto druid
    Merc plays similar to a shaman
    Sage is somewhat a disc priest
    Now im not saying these are clone classes or anything but what i am saying is if u are comfortable with a resto druid in wow and want to try a swotr lass operative may be for u
    Shhh im typing this to u on my i phone on the toilet at work

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Jedi Guardian/Sentinel = Warrior mainly, general melee DPS too
    Jedi Shadow = Rogues, Paladins maybe (with the tanking tree)
    Gunslinger = Hunter, general ranged DPS
    Scoundrel = Rogues, healers
    Vanguard = DK
    Commando = general ranged DPS, healers
    Fixed. Vanguards play nothing like warlocks as originally posted, but rather more like a Death Knight (Wrath Era Blood to be super specific). They are a Melee class with a few ranged abilities that allow them to be moderately effective outside of melee range. Ranged Tanking was promised by Bioware, and there are elements of it, but in reality all tanks are most effective within melee range and become severely limited when out of melee for more than a few seconds.

I agree with the rest of that list other than I would be a bit more specific on the Jedi Sentinel, depending on spec, it plays a lot like an enhancement shaman (Combat) or Arms Warrior (Watchman)

Based on my experience with the classes I've played:

Sage/Sorcerer - Disc Priest, Shadow Priest, Mage
    Shadow/Assassin - Death Knight, Combat Rogue
    Operative/Scoundrel - Druid, Subtlety Rogue, (Warlock - for long range DOTs)
    Gunslinger/Sniper - Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlika View Post
    It's a comparison not a versus.

As someone who's installing TOR as I type I'm curious to know how they line up with what I'm familiar with tbh, which I guess makes this constructive and somewhat helpful.
    Sith sorc is very shadow priest and the healing is very flavored with disc, and a smidge of resto druid and a DK feel battle rez.
    My BH feels very hunter too.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Sith Warrior Immortal Juggernaut = Wow Prot warrior

Close enough to easily just switch right over.

Prot warrior has a bit more mobility and AOE while Sith warrior has way more ranged and stuns/interrupts.

Sith warrior does way less threat obviously and feels a bit more challenging to tank with (but that's not a bad thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    There are some classes which do match fairly well. For example, a Jedi Guardian is very close to WoW's Warrior. There are differences, certainly, but then you can see a lot of parallels.

Then there are classes which don't really match at all. Bounty Hunter/Trooper is one like that. The Operative/Scoundrel is another, I think. And of course, the Cover mechanic has no parallels to WoW whatsoever, so Gunslingers/Snipers are fairly unique too.

I suppose what we can do is say 'if you liked x class in WoW, you'll probably like x class in SWTOR'. Not saying that they're exactly the same, but it's a good starting point for new players to SWTOR. And making it easier to join in the fun on SWTOR can only be a good thing, right?

So with that in mind, here's a rough outline I can think of in about 5 minutes:

Jedi Guardian/Sentinel = Warrior mainly, general melee DPS too
    Jedi Sage = Priests, general caster DPS/healers
    Jedi Shadow = Rogues, Paladins maybe (with the tanking tree)
    Gunslinger = Hunter, general ranged DPS
    Scoundrel = Rogues, healers
    Vanguard = Warlock (with the ranged Tanking, heralding back to TBC times), general ranged DPS
    Commando = general ranged DPS, healers

Sometimes you can name a specific WoW class and say 'yeah, you play that and you'll enjoy this class in SWTOR'. Sometimes, you can't. But it's a starting point at least. And of course, bear in mind the Empire equivalents.
    vanguard dps is more close range/melee than range srly

---------- Post added 2012-01-11 at 11:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    Operative is actually closer to Druid in style with a tint of Rogue. Proactive healing. Stealth. With a decently geared tank companion can actually solo alot incl. champions. Being hated by people in PVP.
    lifebloom probe......kolto bloom, instead of stackign to 3 its stack to 2, teh final talent is wild growth, oprative healing plays like a resto druid, concealment looks like a feral/assasination rogue mix

---------- Post added 2012-01-11 at 11:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    Sith sorc is very shadow priest and the healing is very flavored with disc, and a smidge of resto druid and a DK feel battle rez.
    My BH feels very hunter too.
    sith sorcerer madness is liek a spriest, lightning is like an ele shaman.

Deleted
    And all of this is bad because?

Sure, many classes play like the ones in XoX but I don't think it is bad...makes it much easier to get used to the Game.

Arsenal Merc does play a lot like a somewhat more complex arcane mage, except you use Arcane Missiles (Unload) when you get the proc. Otherwise you're spamming Tracer Missile a lot while throwing in Rail Shot and HSM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Operative/Scoundrel: Rogue...stun lock to death in like 4-5 seconds.
    If the Ops is level 50 (well geared) and you are anything below that you will get killed quickly (duh! And that goes with any well gear 50). But if you encounter a stealthed class of your level you can survive through it and counter.
    I'm still thinking about it...

Healing Bounty hunter plays alot like resto shaman

3 target heal
    2 normal heals
    and instant heal
    and a earthsheild type spell

:P

To be honest theres no clear cut answer to the question. "Its a bit of this and a bit of that"

Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgrar View Post
    I know that Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin plays a lot like a rogue. Like, a lot.
    Aside from stealth and a high damage backstab that's where much of the similarity ends. Operative is more like a rogue as your big damage abilities are stealth openers and anything used shortly after. Assassin/Shadow is more like an Enh Shaman.