Deleted

How is data tranferred in swtor? (Performance Issues)

As a software developer I've always been curious on how so many informations in a MMO is transferred on the net.
    So many players doing so many things, so many pixel to move in the right position.
    Never got an answer so I still don't know how the best MMO's out there do this.

Now...after reading tons of topics of people having "Performance Issues", and having those myself, I wonder...maybe is not a problem of hardware, maybe is a matter of bad data optimization and is something related to how information goes from the servers to our pc, maybe u need much more upload bandwith with this game, not only a good download.

I'm not really an expert, usually I play around 80ms latency but I know my connection has a bad upload.

Are u guys 100% sure is an hardware optimization problem or is it possible to be another kind of problem?
    For example in pvp u have much much more informations going around then when u do quests solo.
    I noticed also better fps when I am without my companion and for sure when I'm not in party.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyrosso View Post
    As a software developer I've always been curious on how so many informations in a MMO is transferred on the net.
    So many players doing so many things, so many pixel to move in the right position.
    Never got an answer so I still don't know how the best MMO's out there do this.
    As a CS mayor and someone who has built their own (albeit not optimal) gaming engine I assume it is done in much the same way your typical .net service works, only instead of simple xml it contains model data. Typical in a directX environment would be Xmodel data which is formatted to clear text or xml based locations which will then be interpreted to movement which would also explain bland non texture modeling on a distance.

Imagine this scenario: my computer is on a location on a map(mapname, x coordinate, Ycoordination, elevation, rotation) which is standard in gaming to identify your translation of a "world" object.

Then async calling the server for an model-update of stuff around you with those data and the FieldOf View info(size of visible world) and you would get data back based on model in that view area in a format much like your own position and to which model object that belongs.

the size of the data sent to and from server can be streamlined and optimized as well as the level of detail. On the other hand I think health frames ask for a update as well, could be server initialized or client initialized to update those values.

I am not going to go into more detail but I think I can provide a tad better insight when I am not payed to actually do stuff for my boss

10+ Year Old Account
    No, your X, Y, and Z coords, facing, speed and when you cast your last ability will be sent to the server with a checksum. The server will determine if all that info is valid (to determine a cheat) and work out who needs to know this information (players in the area who may or may not be watching). That info will be sent to those players, and it'll be up to their machines to display your character at the correct location, facing the correct way and doing the correct part of the animation. The server will also then send out the results (damage/healing done to who).

The datacentres have to deal with all this information multiplied across however many people are playing. It is in their interest to keep the data flow down to a minimum. Some parts of the game will probably use UDP (the action based stuff) and others will probably use TCP (chat, gathering or modding your gear etc) as it would be more beneficial to get the data through in as few engine-managed attempts as possible.