Not sure if it's worth upgrading or starting over.

A preface: Not sure if my current computer is worth upgrading or if I should just start over so i'm looking for help! If it is worth upgrading I'd also like advice on the part that would give me the most results for games like SWTOR and WoW.

Current setup
    Mobo: ASUSTek M3A (AM2+ socket)
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 6000+
    RAM: 2 kingston 2g ddr2 400 mhz and 1 kingston 1g ddr2 400 mhz
    HDD: 500gb Seagate (can get more information on this later)
    GPU: NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT 512mb

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking over the compatible CPU chart of your Mobo, the only phenom II cpu you can use is the x3 715.

At that point, I would say you might as well go for a brand new system.
    "My sword? [Heck] yeah I know how to use it. What's to understand about swish-swish-stab? It's a [freak'n] sword dude, it's not a fighter jet." -Tucker "This One Goes to Eleven

Deleted
    It's not worth upgrading really. You can reuse your HDD from the list you provided. If you're going to make build a new PC we need a little more information, like a budget, do you need Windows etc.

---------- Post added 2012-01-11 at 06:35 PM ----------

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-build-Read-me!

Budget
    Preferably under 700 although that's probably not realistic

Resolution
    Not sure what this means, resolution of my monitor? if so 1920 x 1080

Games / Settings Desired
    SWTOR/WOW on medium to high

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Nothing

Country
    US

Parts that can be reused
    HDD

Sorry I didn't include that in the original post, was just looking for input on if an upgrade would be possible. Someone I know recently got got newegg (dot) com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229285 and has nothing but good to say about it...is this worth the price?
    Last edited by cmcnichol; 2012-01-11 at 05:47 PM.

Deleted
    If you're willing to give it a shot (it's not hard) you can build it yourself, save some money and/or get a much better performing computer. It's kinda like LEGO for adults

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    If you're willing to give it a shot (it's not hard) you can build it yourself, save some money and/or get a much better performing computer. It's kinda like LEGO for adults
    My current machine I put together about 3 years ago so I'm familiar with it and fairly good with it. I've just not done lots of research so I'm not sure what i'd be looking at anymore part-wise and would greatly appreciate some input on mobo/cpu/gpu.

Deleted
    Do you need Windows or do you have a copy? also you can save another $20 if you can reuse the Optical drive.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-01-11 at 06:41 PM.

Do you need Windows or do you have a copy?
    I THINK that I have a copy but it may just be a windows 7 upgrade, it's been a while i'll have to check. Let's just go off the assumption that I do for now.

Deleted

Total is after MIR (the GPU), the case can of course be changed to anything you prefer, as well as your budget and taste

wow, thanks a lot! Could you recommend a hard drive as well? May upgrade mine.

Deleted
    Those are really expensive right now because of the floods a while back. Have you considered keeping the HDD and get an SSD? And yes they're more expensive $ vs GB but it's a really nice upgrade for any system. You can get an SSD 120GB for around $150 now, a HDD will cost you around $90-150 for anything 500GB-1TB. (before I go look for you)

Those are really expensive right now because of the floods a while back. Have you considered keeping the HDD and get an SSD? And yes they're more expensive $ vs GB but it's a really nice upgrade for any system. You can get an SSD 120GB for around $150 now, a HDD will cost you around $90-150 for anything 500GB-1TB. (before I go look for you)
    I'll just stick with what i've got for now until I have a problem. Thanks very very much! would you recommend any extra fans or anything or does the case come with all that will be required?

Deleted
    1 x 120mm rear fan @ 1200rpm (included)
    2 x 120mm front fan (optional)
    1 x 120mm buttom fan (optional)
    1 x 140mm top fan (included)
    From the details link on NewEgg. Everything you will need should be included with the case and Motherboard.

---------- Post added 2012-01-11 at 08:17 PM ----------

Another option at similar price point is the:

COOLER MASTER HAF 912

Or the Fractel design which is slightly more expensive but still within budget:

Fractal Design Core 3000

I personally like the Fractel one but also cost a little bit more, other two are fine as well.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-01-11 at 07:19 PM.