Thread: non-gameing pc

non-gameing pc

So, my gf wants me to build her a desktop for a reasonable price. She is going to use it for surfing the internet (youtube/facebook etc.) watching videos, doing HW and similar stuff. I doubt a game will ever be installed on it but if it is it will probably be plants vs. zombies or something similar. I was just wondering what components would fall into that category (mainly the cpu and gpu). I dont know if for that level it would be better to go for intel or amd (for the record, is the i3 2300 or Phenom II X4 960 Black Edition better?, they are about the same price where i am). Thanks for the help!

Deleted
    Office 300
    MoBo: ASRock E350M1$109.99
    CPU: AMD Fusion APU E-350 – (Comes with MoBo)
    RAM: Crucial 1333MHz 2x2GB$18.99
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint MP4 2.5" 320GB$99.99
    Case: Antec ISK 100$69.99 Review
    --------------------------------------------------
    Estimated Total Price – $299
    Recommended for:
    Office work; e-mail, browsing, writing. Can also
    serve as a HTPC. A bigger case is recommended
    for inexperienced builders. A cheaper HDD is also
    an option (smaller capacity and/or slower) to save
    money.
    More here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds

Should be enough for your girlfriends intentions. Might want to take a look on the 350 build if you want something that can at least take care of some older games (like for example Sims). Just note that having higher frequency RAM helps the graphical performance of both the Fusion and the Llano APUs. Games like Plants vs. Zombies will run just fine on the linked build.

I have one myself, see it here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...9#post12787659

You can cut costs by:
    - Salvage another case and pick up a cheap 80-150W PSU.
    - Get a cheaper HDD (or salvage an older one). A 3.5" equivalent should be cheaper than the linked 2.5". Might also consider a SSD: Crucial M4 60GB$109.99

You of course need to add a Windows license, keyboard and mouse, and a monitor to make it a complete PC.

As for the X4 960 vs the i3 2300; depends entirely on what your intentions are. For gaming, the i3 2300. For complex computing, the X4 960 might have an edge. The i3 2300 is a fairly strong budget CPU though and isn't bound to a dead socket (LGA 1155).
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-01-11 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by erh View Post
    So, my gf wants me to build her a desktop for a reasonable price. She is going to use it for surfing the internet (youtube/facebook etc.) watching videos, doing HW and similar stuff. I doubt a game will ever be installed on it but if it is it will probably be plants vs. zombies or something similar. I was just wondering what components would fall into that category (mainly the cpu and gpu). I dont know if for that level it would be better to go for intel or amd (for the record, is the i3 2300 or Phenom II X4 960 Black Edition better?, they are about the same price where i am). Thanks for the help!
    Make sure it has a webcam, this is for your own benefit. Trust me.

lol, ill make sure to put that on the list

as far as the peripherals go she already has them from her computer from 1997, and i can get windows licence free from my uni so it isnt a problem!

thanks for the link it was very helpfull!