Healer of some sort

Thinking of leaving WoW. It's a fun game but over the years I've just grown tired of it and don't feel 'pumped' for mist.
    I was doing some searching and I found that jedi sage can be healers, from real experience, have you noticed they were actually effective healers? Leveling wise what am I looking at for one? What the style of a class? Or do you recommend another class?

I do have an interest in healing but only if they are actually put to good use. I'll also consider damage dealers but in my experience, I've never been that great at that option.

Any help is appreciated. If you need more info, just post and I'll get back to it.

I've read the guides and such, just want some real world opinions.

I have no first hand experiance, I always play tanks in mmo's but my best friend IRL always plays healers. He has end game experiance with shamans, druids and priests and he has played a commando and a jedi sage in swtor and he really really loves his sage.

He said the sage is more fluid, less clunky and has better heals. In between keeping up my guardian he has plenty of time to dps as well.

The first instance is level 10, at the same time you get to pick your adv class, so I would try the commando and sage in that and see which you like more, tho you wont get a true feel for the class till at least 20.

For what its worth, I seem to stay alive much better when he plays the sage.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    In terms of leveling with ease, I would recommend the Trooper Commando (http://www.torhead.com/class/8SNowr2). The class is very effective at soloing and has a great healing spec for Warzones and Raids. That isn't to say that the Sage isn't effective. The Sage operates a lot like a Disc Priest in WoW. I leveled on in beta and while I enjoyed it, I enjoy the Commando more. Also, you get to carry massive cannons. How is that not cool?

I have a 50 sorc (Sith equivalent of the Jedi Sage) and a 40 merc (I think Commando is the Rep equivalent). I've healed hard modes in WoW since they were introduced, and I can honestly say that the healing is a bit lackluster in this game. I feel that I have very little control over stepping up my game and standing out as a healer. I'm just tossing my heals on CD and, if that's not enough to heal people, there's really nothing I can do to improve myself through my playstyle. Essentially, I feel like healers are just added as an afterthought and you might as well be a bot. In PvP content, though, it's obviously more intense between healing the burst and using your abilities/CC to shake all the opposing players who are gunning for you.

I do think Sorc/Sage is a little bit better about this, though. Right now Merc is just awfully boring, compared to something like a druid or priest in WoW, though I haven't tried it out since I've been able to access the final talent.

Deleted
    Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the healers. They are all pretty solid as it is now. Little balance issues aside, those will be ironed out within time anyway. That's how MMOs work.

But if you want a healer you got a few options.

Commando/Mercenary
    Scoundrel/Operative
    Sage/Sorcerer

Now the first thing to note here is that if you want more of a "classic" healing style I'd suggest the Sage or Sorcerer. They use a resource that is pretty much mana. The other two (four) options all use a different source more comparable to Energy from rogues (Though definitely not the same)
    If you want to try out something else though, that new resource system is quite fun to use - at least I think so. Personally I have a Commando, Scoundrel and Operative and enjoy all three immensely (Of course Scoundrel and Operative are exactly the same) and find the resource systems quite refreshing.

But honestly, if you are not too concerned with the resource system there isn't all that much difference here.
    Scoundrels/Operatives are utilize Healing Over Time the most, so if you preferred Druid healers in WoW you may like that more (They are very different though, very. Druid is the one class I personally played to death) and they also have a bit of a Holy Power system that Paladins now have.
    Sages/Sorcerers are definitely the most like priests in almost every way.
    Commandos/Mercenaries I find a bit hard to compare, they have an Earth Shield ability but I think that's about where their comparisons stop when it comes to WoW.

All three options can work really well as it is now, so personally I would look at theme/gameplay.
    The reason I enjoy my Operative/Scoundrel more than my Commando really comes down to the fact that I prefer the non-healing gameplay. I prefer the stealth, quick pace melee combat they have as opposed to the slower ranged combat the Commando has (And I can't stand that blaster cannon) so that may be something to look at. Sorcerers/Sages play more as Mages in that regard.

Lastly there's of course story and you'll spend a lot of time with that so think about it. If you like the idea of healing through the Force (I don't) go with it, if you like Jedi or Sith than the option is pretty simple. If you prefer the biological/medical approach of healing then I wouldn't recommend a Jedi/Sith for obvious reasons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveJohnKimble View Post
    I have a 50 sorc (Sith equivalent of the Jedi Sage) and a 40 merc (I think Commando is the Rep equivalent). I've healed hard modes in WoW since they were introduced, and I can honestly say that the healing is a bit lackluster in this game. I feel that I have very little control over stepping up my game and standing out as a healer. I'm just tossing my heals on CD and, if that's not enough to heal people, there's really nothing I can do to improve myself through my playstyle. Essentially, I feel like healers are just added as an afterthought and you might as well be a bot. In PvP content, though, it's obviously more intense between healing the burst and using your abilities/CC to shake all the opposing players who are gunning for you.
    i agree with this (also have a 50 sage)