Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingFeedz View Post
    Would you rather Anet release an unpolished game 2 years after announcement or a nice 5 years to make it as good as possible? Think about it. Also, I know for a fact that after it's released you will regain interest in the game. Just be patient and everything will go as planned.
    This type of thing gets thrown around a lot and honestly I'd prefer the 2 years after announcement and if there is a gem in there, they can polish it through patches. If not, it's less time wasted for everyone and they can begin their next project with less sunk into it. Blizzard is the worst at this. They no longer make "incredible" games, but they take 3 times longer than when they made those "incredible" games.

Starcraft 1 - 2 year dev cycle
    Diablo 1 - 1 year dev cycle
    Diablo 2 - 2 year dev cycle
    Warcraft 3 - 2 year dev cycle

Since then, we've gotten:

Starcraft 2: 7 year dev cycle
    Diablo 3: 12 year dev cycle (and counting)

Is SC2 better than SC1? It looks nicer, but it's not groundbreaking in any way. Diablo 3 will be a massive disappointment for many people who played the original and it will be another game to be played and discarded for everyone else who wasn't around for the originals. Just like SC2 was for 80% of the player base. Sure there is an active e-Sport community of about 200K people, but that is not LEGENDARY like SC1 which developed into a national sport in South Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by stgeorge78 View Post
    This type of thing gets thrown around a lot and honestly I'd prefer the 2 years after announcement and if there is a gem in there, they can polish it through patches. If not, it's less time wasted for everyone and they can begin their next project with less sunk into it. Blizzard is the worst at this. They no longer make "incredible" games, but they take 3 times longer than when they made those "incredible" games.

Starcraft 1 - 2 year dev cycle
    Diablo 1 - 1 year dev cycle
    Diablo 2 - 2 year dev cycle
    Warcraft 3 - 2 year dev cycle

Since then, we've gotten:

Starcraft 2: 7 year dev cycle
    Diablo 3: 12 year dev cycle (and counting)

Is SC2 better than SC1? It looks nicer, but it's not groundbreaking in any way. Diablo 3 will be a massive disappointment for many people who played the original and it will be another game to be played and discarded for everyone else who wasn't around for the originals. Just like SC2 was for 80% of the player base. Sure there is an active e-Sport community of about 200K people, but that is not LEGENDARY like SC1 which developed into a national sport in South Korea.
    You do realize that the normal development cycle for games nowadyas can get to around 3-4 years, and that's not even for a MMO, which is unarguably larger than almost any single player game.

No because I'm not hyped, just patiently waiting until it comes out. Not even really following the news or even thinking about it that much. Focused on other things until the time comes.

i seriously doubt they ever worked on SC2 & D3 for that much time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    ..I enjoy tanking in games where that is a necessary part of the dynamic. Change the dynamic from the norm and we change the parameters for what being defensive (support-y) can do.
    Exactly. Groups will still benefit from having someone who knows what elements of an encounter can be controlled and responds to them. That's what tanking is. We just have to do it without a threat meter and dedicated healbot.

People wanted CC put back in 5 mans after LK heroics became a pretty basic farmfest compared to BC. Those basic CC functions (sheep, trap, sap, etc.) are exactly what Control will be in GW2 combat. The only real control function they dropped completely was Taunt. And they added some interesting fully 3D control elements like the Guardian walls and Ele columns and fountains.
    Last edited by semantic; 2012-01-14 at 01:25 AM.

I've been told it will be a great game.
    I only JUST have seen the class videos to see what I would perhaps roll.
    I am excited to play something new as i've had nothing but WoW for the past 5-6 years, and I wasn't really impressed with Star Wars.

The one time payment that GW2 has is very appealing. I guess i'll play AION for free till GW2 is released.

Initial designing happens quite a few years before release. You can guarantee that they were thinking about D3 even before D2 was released. Little storyboards...a few concepts, that sort of thing.
    It takes a lot longer than 1-2 years to make big games...even for massive companies. Which, btw, make several at once. So the process is still the same. Games just take a while to make.

Not even in the slightest, yea I'm not a raving gw absorption machine like I was a few months ago, but I stil am excited and check these forums and GW2Guru every day or so. As soon as they set a release for open beta though I'm going to have a nerdgasm.

Hell no. I hope they take as long as is required to change MMORPGS for the better.

hasnt been any news recently, so i kinda forgot about it

ye me, the more vids i watch the more it looks like shit ive already seen, world questing? its just a prettier looking warhammer online tbh.
    Horrid animations and plays clunky when i played the pvp match at eurogamer it was just a case of button bashing to see who could die first.
    Not got good hopes for this anymore and im sure it will be riddled with bugs and crap reguardless when its released.
    Sort of game that will be good for the first 2 weeks then find that its collecting dust at the back of your hard drive somewhere unless you uninstall it first which will more than likely be the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have 3 posts in the GW2 subforum

From this thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Suggs View Post
    im sure it will be riddled with bugs and crap reguardless when its released.
    and in another thread yesterday:
    ive no doubt the game will be riddled with bugs
    looks horrid, clunky movements, not fluid, bugs bugs and more bugs
    The sad thing is, you've made those posts because (judging by your post history) you're a SWTOR fanboy, and in your mind bashing GW2 with accusations of it being filled with bugs is a way to defend your buggy Jedi romance simulator.

So how about you stop game-bashing and leave our subforum alone...
    Last edited by Mif; 2012-01-14 at 01:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im am neither and still tend to agree the game does look clunky and the beta vids on youtube look somewhat horrid

10+ Year Old Account
    You have 12 posts on MMO-Champion
    Star Wars: The Old Republic: 7
    Guild Wars 2: 2
    General Discussions: 1
    Video Games Discussion: 1

From today:
    Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    maybe it will reuse the same fight mechanics and armor sets with a slightly different colours over a number of years and then add something like pokemon battles as a tacked to keep kicking a dead horse oh wait .. Im hopeful that guild wars 2 will be a good game but my expectations are low in reality, tor has a few flaws but alot of them are getting worked on
    Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    I fear they have over hyped and polished it the thief archetype does look fun but from what you see in the class videos to the beta on youtube is two different games. I guess its a wait and see policy but honestly im not expecting much at all im more excited about armored core 5 atm even though im going to have to fork out for a ps3 go figure.
    You're only posting in the GW2 section to bash the game because you are a SWTOR fanboy.

So how about you stop game-bashing and leave our subforum alone...

Deleted
    Can wedelete these posts anyway? This discussion is going seriously offtopic, some are bashing GW2 while never even having interest in the game, so they can't lose it.
    Last edited by mmoccf2a3d971d; 2012-01-14 at 02:29 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks Mif, too many trolls and GW2 bashers in here..

...GW2 is recognised as one of the best looking games in computing history. Youtube (360 or 480) quality cannot do it justice.
    I suggest watching them in HD quality. They are far from "clunky"
    Just watch trailer 3...if that doesn't blow you away...well...I honestly don't know what possibly could.

Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    Can we lock this or delete these posts anyway? This discussion is going seriously offtopic, some are bashing GW2 while never even having interest in the game, so they can't lose it.
    I actually had quite a chuckle with this thread
    MMO-Champ (regardless of the name) is still a WoW fan-site. A game made by blizzard. A company that is notorious for taking FUCKING AGES to develop games. 5 years for a blizz game is FAST. It's been almost 4 years since blizz announced d3, and we know that they had a lot of production time before the announcement as well, the game is supposed to come out this year (some say even "soon") and we don't have a release date yet.
    Does anyone care though? Well we care, but hardly anyone is complaining about it. The only ones that are, are people who just have no experience with such matters, and do not realize that it actually means you get a better game in the end. In my personal experience, the only time this did not happen for blizzard was with expansions (both for WoW and for other blizz games).
    In all honesty I think many more developers start realizing this is WHY every single blizzard game is a hit and start doing it themselves in order to get a similar market revenue, let alone beat WoW as the most popular MMO on the planet. Because of this I actually have pretty good hopes for GW2 Just don't worry about how long it's taking, pick up other stuff until then and enjoy the polished end-result all that waiting was for

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MestHoop View Post
    I actually had quite a chuckle with this thread
    MMO-Champ (regardless of the name) is still a WoW fan-site. A game made by blizzard. A company that is notorious for taking FUCKING AGES to develop games. 5 years for a blizz game is FAST. It's been almost 4 years since blizz announced d3, and we know that they had a lot of production time before the announcement as well, the game is supposed to come out this year (some say even "soon") and we don't have a release date yet.
    Does anyone care though? Well we care, but hardly anyone is complaining about it. The only ones that are, are people who just have no experience with such matters, and do not realize that it actually means you get a better game in the end. In my personal experience, the only time this did not happen for blizzard was with expansions (both for WoW and for other blizz games).
    In all honesty I think many more developers start realizing this is WHY every single blizzard game is a hit and start doing it themselves in order to get a similar market revenue, let alone beat WoW as the most popular MMO on the planet. Because of this I actually have pretty good hopes for GW2 Just don't worry about how long it's taking, pick up other stuff until then and enjoy the polished end-result all that waiting was for
    Wasn't referring to that discussion, I more had the last 2 posts in mind, the ones Mif responded to. We don't need delusional fanboys in here. GW2 artists won awards for their art. Calling it all clunky crappy looking is just wrong. You might not like the style, but calling it anything else is just wrong imo.

I also don't care about the no release date. I know Anet will announce it all when everything is in order. Looking forward to open beta, but I know it comes when it needs to. I too want a finished, polished game rather than a game where they forgot texture packs or with bugs galore.
    Last edited by mmoccf2a3d971d; 2012-01-14 at 02:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's good to lose intrest