Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddycen View Post
    it's good to lose intrest
    That made no sense at all nor did you explain yourself... care to explain yourself or you're just running around like a little troll?

[QUOTE=u9k13tjc;15019625]Good, not that you've lost interest (inwhich case why are you here?) but that they are taking their time,

I've seen that donkey turd of an MMO that SWTOR turned out to be because they released it before it was ready, I dont want arenanet to do teh same to GW2.

I'll happily wait until its ready and polished, and no, I'm more excited than ever. Good things come to those who wait, esp in the MMO sector.

While it's fine to express your dislike for a game, bashing it is not cool. Don't do that. -Edge

I did express my dislike which you say is fine, so butt out. Don't just mod the things you dont like. What I said was relevant to the thread, that releasing games early before they are ready results in a pretty poor game.[/QUOTE]

After readin what this donkey turd of an mmo-champ poster wrote I only have 1 question..
    umadbro.

Ban me if you like mods, but i did express my dislike which you say is fine - so please don't butt out and do your jobs - you've always been very good at them. <3 MMO champ, screw fucktards like this poster who only come here to spew negativity.

cwhatididthere.

I see what you did there...Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-01-14 at 06:57 PM.

errr...didn't I, sadly, read this post just recently on another thread?
    Seriously...find better uses for ur time :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    ...GW2 is recognised as one of the best looking games in computing history.
    Recognized by whom, exactly? Considering it's not actually released, I'd be very surprised if it did receive this sort of praise from a credible source.

Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    GW2 artists won awards for their art.
    To be fair, that was the concept artists. While it's certainly great that they have talented artists, and they are senior staff on their art team, that doesn't automatically translate to great-looking in-game models, environments, and animations.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way GW2 is looking so far. Just get irked by these sorts of statements. If you try to slip in the little lies, how can you expect people to believe anything else you say about the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Zed View Post
    Recognized by whom, exactly? Considering it's not actually released, I'd be very surprised if it did receive this sort of praise from a credible source.
    Well, this for one: http://www.nowgamer.com/features/120...erfect_10.html
    There's been others which I don't have time to find now. Has it won awards? No. Of course not. But it almost certainly will. And it is being talked about as looking amazing.

And about the concept art. As this artistic almost painted style is what Anet are going for...their design is largely based on the concept art. Trailer 3 isn't just a gimmick.

While I doubt Guild Wars 2 will ever win any technical awards for graphical ability, the art is another matter. They've won lots of awards for the art - and this is relevant because that art is gonna be used directly in the game. Everything from cutscenes to distant backgrounds that fade to concept art.

Deleted

To be fair, that was the concept artists. While it's certainly great that they have talented artists, and they are senior staff on their art team, that doesn't automatically translate to great-looking in-game models, environments, and animations.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way GW2 is looking so far. Just get irked by these sorts of statements. If you try to slip in the little lies, how can you expect people to believe anything else you say about the game?
    To be fair, I didn't lie so I don't think my credability is at stake here. Yes, I forgot to mention it was the CONCEPT artists. But they are still artists for the game and they will still have a lasting impact on the way things will look, they imagine the scenery and the looks of things ingame. The person above mentioned it all really. They did get that award for the style but also for what's in the art. And what's in the art will be used ingame.

examples: background: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di4pw...IfUzXXnAE1xe0F

load screens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFwqlrDwrlg

there also a vid where you see the concept art of divinity's reach change in the real ingame version, but there's hardly a difference. Pity I can't immideatly find it. So yeh, there'll be a tremendous influence.

And also, Daniel Dociu won the award and he's the visual supervisor, which means he is responsible for what's ingame. So I'm 100% there'll be an influence. http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/07...r-digital-art/
    Last edited by mmoccf2a3d971d; 2012-01-14 at 04:55 PM.

1st one was a bit naff so think ima keep away from the 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by RiskV2 View Post
    That would be a legitimate answer if they were even remotely similar.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskV2 View Post
    They changed the "naff" things so that's not a good excuse to leave GW2 on the sidelines! The games are very very different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Predicting that it will be one of the best looking PC games of the year is quite different than saying it's one of the best looking games of all time. It's not like there's a notable lineup of good-looking upcoming PC games for 2012 that we've actually seen in-game footage of, especially if you're only looking at PC-exclusive games. Even then, I'd rank Firefall and TERA about the same as GW2.

The "painterly look" in GW2 refers primarily to the cutscenes, user interface, and some of the spell effects. It doesn't relate to the models, environments, and animations.

Of course they're aiming to match the concept art. That's the point of concept art. That's how every company treats concept art. However, that doesn't mean the finished game will look as good as the concept art. Just look at the disparity between concept art and what's actually in game in WoW; it's especially notable when looking at the tier armor sets. Then there's actually animating what they made.

edit: Again, I like how GW2 looks. All I'm saying is that you don't have to mislead people when trying to defend it. I already acknowledged that Daniel Dociu is one of the leading staff on the art team. So is Kekai Kotaki, who also won awards. They're still concept artists, not the artists who actually create what's in game.
    Last edited by Primal Zed; 2012-01-14 at 05:00 PM.

Deleted
    Lost interest? Heck no, if anything I keep gaining it!

in case you haven't noticed yet, the art-team is deeply involved in the creating of the game, that's what makes this team so special (among a lot of other things)

Deleted
    The "painterly look" in GW2 refers primarily to the cutscenes, user interface, and some of the spell effects. It doesn't relate to the models, environments, and animations.

Of course they're aiming to match the concept art. That's the point of concept art. That's how every company treats concept art. However, that doesn't mean the finished game will look as good as the concept art. Just look at the disparity between concept art and what's actually in game in WoW; it's especially notable when looking at the tier armor sets. Then there's actually animating what they made.

edit: Again, I like how GW2 looks. All I'm saying is that you don't have to mislead people when trying to defend it. I already acknowledged that Daniel Dociu is one of the leading staff on the art team. So is Kekai Kotaki, who also won awards. They're still concept artists, not the artists who actually create what's in game.
    I am not misleading anyone. I said there will be a notable influence. That's all. That the style wil be different is logical, you're going to a game environment.

I also found the vid that changes from concept art to real ingame footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em0Sd60iI2w, check at 2.00. You simply cannot deny the influence when you look at that.

And Daniel is the head of the team that makes the style of the game. So yes he decides what's going in the game. Don't you think that they'll push their style through?
    Last edited by mmoccf2a3d971d; 2012-01-14 at 05:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    "GW2 artists won awards for their art. Calling it all clunky crappy looking is just wrong."

Your conclusion doesn't match your facts. To compare: "Artists from New York won awards for their art. Calling art from New York crappy is just wrong."

Do you really not see the problem here?

Again, yes the point of concept art is to be a target of what's in game. That doesn't mean that's what actually happens, though. Even if the concept artist in question is the head of the art team.

To compare to WoW again: Samwise Didier is art director at Blizzard. He is a concept artist. You can see his art for Warcraft here. In very few cases does what actually ends up in the games exactly match his concept art.

Deleted
    My god we see so many QQ post every day, SURPRISE GW2 sucks? Rift sucked, black ops/MWF3 sucked, SWOTR will suck sonn as well and kinda does now.... only right thing is WoW, and I am saying that even though I quit WoW months back... Its the only game which has the big story and experience behind it...

Deleted
    "GW2 artists won awards for their art. Calling it all clunky crappy looking is just wrong."

Your conclusion doesn't match your facts. To compare: "Artists from New York won awards for their art. Calling art from New York crappy is just wrong."

Do you really not see the problem here?

Again, yes the point of concept art is to be a target of what's in game. That doesn't mean that's what actually happens, though. Even if the concept artist in question is the head of the art team.

To compare to WoW again: Samwise Didier is art director at Blizzard. He is a concept artist. You can see his art for Warcraft here. In very few cases does what actually ends up in the games exactly match his concept art.
    Look at this pic of Caithe (a sylvari) and tell me that the concept art doesn't closely resemble the in-game model: http://greibach.files.wordpress.com/...itheseries.jpg
    Edit: or look at Maarius' post
    Last edited by mmoc77cd96e260; 2012-01-14 at 05:44 PM.

Deleted

Your logic assumes that every artist then won that award.There will be a lot more styles/artists in NY than with Anet. You simply CANNOT use that example with Anet, it's just wrong.
    The person responsible for the style of the game is the one who won the award. He is responsible. Which means he approves how it looks before it goes in the game. I can't say it any more simple. He is responsible that we don't get 50 styles in the game, but one.

I admit, it was partially wrong because I could see how someone might see that as art=style of what's in game, with the illustration style of the art. However, as seen in the vid and the pictures above, the things in the art really are reflected ingame. We have given a lot of examples already. Some are directly put ingame(background in cutscenes), sometimes it's more the colors and what's in the art.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Zed
    The difference between WoW concept art and ingame is enormous. It is a lot less for guild wars 2. The backgrounds fit the concept art very well(once again, not the artistic illustration style like it's made with paint), once again proven above. That's what makes this game so special, it's one of their selling points in their manifesto.
    Last edited by mmoccf2a3d971d; 2012-01-14 at 05:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Your logic assumes that every artist then won that award."

"The difference between WoW concept art and ingame is enormous."

Yes, that's my entire point: if someone says a game looks bad, you can't just respond by saying they have good concept artists. That you left out that it's the concept artists that won the awards, leaving the implication that it's the people actually making the in-game graphics that won awards, took it from logical fallacy to deception.

Be clear and succinct to avoid getting caught in a falsehood.

edit: Daniel Dociu can direct style all he wants, but much like the acting is ultimately up to the actor in a movie, the quality of art we get in game is ultimately going to be up to the talents and abilities of the 3D modelers, animators, and environmental artists, not the concept artists.
    Last edited by Primal Zed; 2012-01-14 at 05:58 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    "Your logic assumes that every artist then won that award."

"The difference between WoW concept art and ingame is enormous."

Yes, that's my entire point: if someone says a game looks bad, you can't just respond by saying they have good concept artists. That you left out that it's the concept artists that won the awards, leaving the implication that it's the people actually making the in-game graphics that won awards, took it from logical fallacy to deception.

Be clear and succinct to avoid getting caught in a falsehood.

edit: Daniel Dociu can direct style all he wants, but much like the acting is ultimately up to the actor in a movie, the quality of art we get in game is ultimately going to be up to the talents and abilities of the 3D modelers, animators, and environmental artists, not the concept artists.
    If it wasn't for the fact they are trying to translate the concept art DIRECTLY INTO THE GAME then your opinions might hold more sway. But because they are it pretty much invalidates your assumptions. Look at more gameplay videos and concept art and compare, but don't assume they are making their games like other companies have before.