Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    If it wasn't for the fact they are trying to translate the concept art DIRECTLY INTO THE GAME then your opinions might hold more sway. But because they are it pretty much invalidates your assumptions. Look at more gameplay videos and concept art and compare, but don't assume they are making their games like other companies have before.
    So it's ok for people to be deceptive and vague because GW2 is just sooooo awesome that everyone will automatically know what you actually mean no matter how you type it?

(If you think I'm here to argue against GW2, you need to re-read my contribution to this thread.)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Zed View Post
    So it's ok for people to be deceptive and vague because GW2 is just sooooo awesome that everyone will automatically know what you actually mean no matter how you type it?

(If you think I'm here to argue against GW2, you need to re-read my contribution to this thread.)
    Deceptive and vague? Really? I just think you are nit-picking wordage. If you have read much on the arenanet blog, one post was specifically about their art and how it translated into the game. It's a fairly old post at that, so I guess I counted that as easily accessed information.

10+ Year Old Account
    If your answer is going to be "they can read up on it on their own," best to just not post.

Words have meaning. If you're not paying attention to what you type, they can get away with you and say something you did not intend. You can't rely on other people magically knowing everything you do if you don't actually convey that information. I'm sorry you must deal with this fact.

No matter how you slice it, responding to a complaint of how the game looks with how great their concept artist is was the wrong answer. The concept artist in question could have been Leonardo Da Vinci. They could have a blog post saying they want to make the best looking game ever. None of actually addresses complaints of how a game looks.

There are thousands of artists in new york producing a huge variety of art. Some if good, some is bad. Some have won awards, some have not. If an artist has won an award for something...it doesn't mean the next piece will as well. Fair enough. But it does signify they are talented/insightful/whatever. Fair enough...
    The concept artists at Anet are all producing art for GW2. What we have seen is all of high quality.
    Anet are basing the game to a large extent on what these concept artists have done. They don't just say that they want it to look awesome...they've detailed why it will in frank and open posts.
    This is the key difference.
    Toodles

10+ Year Old Account
    ~stuff
    dude you are splitting hairs, the concept art is used directly in GW2, so if someone wins an award for concept art used in GW2 that directly gives props to visual style of GW2, it may not appeal to everybody, but the fact that even the peers of ANet's artist can recognize their talent and hence the beauty of GW2 is nothing to sneeze at. did you also forget that images in the distance will look like the concept art they were created from as a form of optimization and aesthetic like a living canvas? come on man, you should know better and be man enough to admit when you are wrong so we can all move on, no harm no foul. http://youtu.be/Em0Sd60iI2w?hd=1&t=2m1s
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Nope. I have WoW among other games to keep me entertained. I'll be ready for GW2 when it's ready to be released.

Deleted
    "Your logic assumes that every artist then won that award."

"The difference between WoW concept art and ingame is enormous."

Yes, that's my entire point: if someone says a game looks bad, you can't just respond by saying they have good concept artists. That you left out that it's the concept artists that won the awards, leaving the implication that it's the people actually making the in-game graphics that won awards, took it from logical fallacy to deception.

Be clear and succinct to avoid getting caught in a falsehood.

edit: Daniel Dociu can direct style all he wants, but much like the acting is ultimately up to the actor in a movie, the quality of art we get in game is ultimately going to be up to the talents and abilities of the 3D modelers, animators, and environmental artists, not the concept artists.
    Okay, I'm just gonna say LOL. You're literally just not looking at the facts just because you're hell bend to find some lack of logic on my part, which is not there. All you are trying to do is attack my sentences, trying to find some twist, that I missed a step in the logical process and that I'm assuming concept artists= visual artists for the game.

Like I said before, the concept artists are for a large part responsible for what gets into the game. Oneof them is the chief of it all. I've presented facts that proof this. Once again, I said that it's not 100% the same. But the concept artists won awards and they are putting their concepts in the game, and with the facts I presented the similarity is very much there(for as far as art<->ingame goes), a lot more than it is with WoW. One of the selling points of the game is their style and that they want it to be close to the painterly illustrated aesthetic. Can you give me one example where it is clear that the concept art has no impact what on the ingame visual style/what you see? You've just been theoretical here, but I've yet to see a fact.

Yes, that's my entire point: if someone says a game looks bad, you can't just respond by saying they have good concept artists. That you left out that it's the concept artists that won the awards, leaving the implication that it's the people actually making the in-game graphics that won awards, took it from logical fallacy to deception.
    And you forget to remind that those ingame artists have standards to follow, standards from the concept art. Standards from the painterly illustrated aesthetic. The game needs one style, and once again, it's to be close to the concept art.

edit: Daniel Dociu can direct style all he wants, but much like the acting is ultimately up to the actor in a movie, the quality of art we get in game is ultimately going to be up to the talents and abilities of the 3D modelers, animators, and environmental artists, not the concept artists.
    They have to follow standards. If tomorrow Steven Segal comes in on the set and says he wants to play mister emotional and nice, on a action film which relies being as he is, that's not going to fly. I understand not having every piece of game derived from concept art, but they still have to follow the guide lines set forth from their art director. And he approves if it fits in the style of the game. A style that's very close to the concept art.

deceptive and vague
    I'm sorry, gonna stop responding to you now. After writing all I did and presenting all the facts, it's just obvious what you are here for. Won't be called a lier. Sorry.

If people said that they dont like the style, fine I can understand that. It's your cup of tea or not. But if you are saying it's badly made and looks like crap, I present facts that it is not, why it arguably looks better than other games. Simple as that. If you are not a fan of the painterly illustrated aesthetic, the award won't look lik much to you. True.
    Last edited by mmoccf2a3d971d; 2012-01-15 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auralian View Post
    Would you prefer 5 more years of WoW 0.o

Hey look at my shinny Tier 26 gear on my lvl 150 Jack Black Panda Bear. I think i would rather wait for a new complete experience than sludge though another 3 expansions of the same old same old.
    I'll take 5 years of WoW, as will millions of players with me, since the setup has been working for 7 years and GW2 is different enough to be considered a new type of MMORPG. And the fact that you compare the Pandaren with Jack Black and his character Po in Kung Fu Panda just shows how much you know.

Don't bash on a great game just because it stopped being funny in your mind. It's pathetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the main problem with Guild Wars right now was the hype, we had loads of hype 6 months ago, so much that I was wetting myself with excitement, Arenanet were pumping out content for us to see every week keeping our interest every second. Over the last two months though its slowed down, I havent seen anything new be posted thats given me the same excitement, and my interest as well has sort of dyed a little

But that been said I am still gonna buy the game, its free so why shouldnt I

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I'll take 5 years of WoW, as will millions of players with me, since the setup has been working for 7 years and GW2 is different enough to be considered a new type of MMORPG. And the fact that you compare the Pandaren with Jack Black and his character Po in Kung Fu Panda just shows how much you know.

Don't bash on a great game just because it stopped being funny in your mind. It's pathetic.
    I love you.

lol I never grow old of seeing this forum... like the first post said, either they can rush it and make it terrible or take the time to make it the best game for a while, which do you want? and no, once its released nothing will be better because games keep getting rushed, in order to be at least as good the game in question would have had to start development near the time GW2 did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dlj3cs View Post
    either they can rush it and make it terrible or take the time to make it the best game for a while, which do you want?
    Exactly. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

But Glados promised me a cake
    All right, so that last test was seriously disappointing. Apparently, being civil isn't motivating you, so let's try it her way, all right, fatty? Adopted... fatty! Fatty, fatty no parents?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scripted Sigma View Post
    But Glados promised me a cake

The cake is a lie!

This is kind of funny since every treadmill/gear progression MMO out there promises the cake... like GLaDOS did.