Page 1 of 3
LastLast

My dad wants me to gain weight

Let me begin by saying that I am 20, weigh between 120-125 lbs, I'm male, I'm 5ft 4inches tall, and I have two medical conditions. One of the medical conditions is crohn's disease and the other is primary sclerosing cholangitis.

Now, I did weigh 130 a few months ago, but I haven't been eating fast food or anything that's terrible for you so I dropped weight and I feel a lot healthier now. My dad however thinks that I'm not eating and insists that I should gain the 10lbs I lost back because he is afraid that if I start having crohn's disease symptoms I'll have no safe weight to lose and use as a cushion. I however disagree and have still tried to eat healthier while he has started grounding me from my computer television and even kicked me out of the house because of my habit. He'll call me to the kitchen and tell me to eat something and usually I do but if i say I'm full or just ate he tells me to eat anyways. He has recently told my mother that he wants me to gain a further 20-30 lbs if I can on top of the 10lb goal he already set for me.

The point of me writing this post is I want to know:
    Am I doing the right thing? if not why?

Tell him to can it. Put your height and weight in a BMI calculator, and you'll see that you're within normal weight range for your height. Stick to your guns if being healthy is what you want.

personally, I'd go with whatever the doctor says.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

I would go talk to a doctor about this.

he's just worried about you. go to the doctor and have a physical and see what he says.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're 20, live at home, get grounded, and are tiny...do you have any depressions issues or something health/mental going on? Not saying that to be dick honestly curious b/c that's no way to live so maybe try a thorough check up with doctor, then if nothing is wrong you can show your dad and he'll leave you alone so you can focus on moving out and making you life easier

What does your doctor say about it? I think that's who you and your dad should listen to.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

I already stated in the post I have two health problems.

and the doctor told me to eat healthier and to avoid foods that might cause me to have a flare up, he didn't really say anything about having to worry about weight other than the extreme due to my condition.
    Last edited by Windycity; 2012-01-12 at 02:40 AM.

gain 300lbs, ask your dad if hes happy, slap him with your bigmac and move out

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
    I already stated in the post I have two health problems.
    dont expect people to actually read your post... but i would consult with your doctor.. and it sounds more like he is worried about you and not trying to be a dick.. men have weird ways of showing their feelings..
    "Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves."
    -Carl Sagan

10+ Year Old Account
    Speak to your doctor. My brother-in-law's girlfriend had some severe problems with Crohm's that caused her to be in hospital for three months. It wrecked her and I don't know if the extra weight could have helped, but it is not something you or your Dad can figure out alone.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Come on people jesus H christ, 18 your considered an adult,stand up and take control, your getting grounded at 20 come on dude grow up.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Talk to your doctor, and get your doctor to tell him to STFU.

It's your body, your weight, he has no right to tell you to put on more, while I understand his concern, he really can't.

Of course, he can kick you out of the house for pretty much any reason though.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodoku View Post
    Tell him to can it. Put your height and weight in a BMI calculator, and you'll see that you're within normal weight range for your height. Stick to your guns if being healthy is what you want.
    BMI is bullshit man.

Hail Thor-show thy might. Let thunder roar and lightning strike!
    Hurl thy hammer into the fray. And let thine enemies know fear this day!
    VICTORY, OR VALHALLA!!!

He's just worried about you. Ofc get an explicit opinion from a doctor on the matter, but if the doctor agrees that a little weight can't hurt (which I'm sure it can't), try some lifting. You don't have to go too hard core, and just so long as you add some protein to your diet, you can bulk up with a little bit of muscle satisfying both your need to feel healthy and your dad's desire for you to be a little more sturdy

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodoku View Post
    I don't even want to get started on how ridiculous BMI calculators are. Any weightlifter or most people with any muscle mass are "overweight".

I am unfamilier with either disease but i do know 120 for a 5'4' male is not the weight you should be shooting for and 140-160 is much healthier weight... i think your problem (and your fathers) is that you believe eating and not eating will make you gain or lose weight. What would be better would be eating a lot but actually working it off (again i'm unfamilier with either disease so i dont know if either is an impediment to how much you can workout. ).
    In the end as much as people will tell you otherwise it doesnt matter how much you eat (or rather better phrasing what you eat either) , you can gain healthy wieght by simply working out daily (running swimming or/and constant pushups would be perfect)

Edit: Either way you are normal weight in your BMI but its still good to be over the normal weight line (by muscle weight)

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    Come on people jesus H christ, 18 your considered an adult,stand up and take control, your getting grounded at 20 come on dude grow up.
    The only reason I'm not "taking control" is because my medical bills are enormous due to the disease, at least $3000 with the medication alone every month. If it weren't for my parents I wouldn't have a way to go to school and also pay for my bills so while I could "stand up and take control" I feel it would have a more negative effect than positive...

Also I'm not getting grounded, he's physically taking my possessions away. Now I'm not going to stand up and physically stop him because I know he's only looking out for me in the first place. so can it.

Sounds like an abusive relationship to me

talk with you doctor about that, what he thinks on you getting a little bit more weigh, meanwhile say your parents your trying