Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

My 470 is just meh now...

Time for an upgrade or just keep waiting for NVIDIA to pop out with some new cards?

10+ Year Old Account
    I just got a new computer with a 560 ti.

still waiting for it to come in the mail.

600 series is coming out any week now so you can pick up a new 600 series or get a reduced 500 series card

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by curtains View Post
    600 series is coming out any week now so you can pick up a new 600 series or get a reduced 500 series card
    Got any links for that info? If I could get my hands on a 600 series for a decent price, I'm game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanthem View Post
    Got any links for that info? If I could get my hands on a 600 series for a decent price, I'm game.
    Still unsure of release dates, and either way, you'll want to wait until the non-reference designs are available from multiple manufacturers.

Also, the original release will likely not have the high end cards.

IMO - wait a couple of months and see what the market does. It's WELL worth waiting.

Upgrade when you need it and not when you get bored. :P

The 600-series are months away, at best. nVidia are also clearly not showing anything on CES, so they might not even have prototypes ready.

Asus claimed on CES that they are ready to launch their new notebooks with ivybridge and Kepler-Graphics (nVidia 660/670) when ivybridge-CPUs reach their assembly halls.
    Then you have to keep in mind that Intel stated on CES that Ivy is already in production and shipment, which usually indicates a product launch in late march/early april (because they need to have some stock before they open the shops).
    This in term indicates - since the industry works more or less the same way - that Kepler is already in or REALLY close before production.

So, a lot of people are waiting for nVidia's announcement - maybe they wanted to overcome big CES-Hypes from Intel, Multimedia, Smartphones, whatever... but they need to place their product vs AMD, because if not, people believe Kepler is far away/so bad that nVidia is too shy to speak about it -> and will buy an AMD 7xxx. Which is no great series, but a decent step up.

Deleted
    If this is true, you'd be a fool to buy a 560ti now:

http://www.obr-hardware.com/2012/01/...rce-specs.html

A "660ti" should easily beat the current 580 for half the price, hang in there ~5-6 weeks and get 2x the bang for your buck imo

Quote Originally Posted by TenDance View Post
    Which is no great series, but a decent step up.
    What.
    Also, it's already been known that the mobile 28nm's from nVidia will come out sooner than the desktop versions.

In fact, there've already leaked some, afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    Still unsure of release dates, and either way, you'll want to wait until the non-reference designs are available from multiple manufacturers.

Also, the original release will likely not have the high end cards.

IMO - wait a couple of months and see what the market does. It's WELL worth waiting.
    This is probably the best advice, 470 should be more than enough to hold you over til the 600series is released and in stock. 7970's on newegg flew out the door b4 me or my buddy could get our hands on one and we were able to get ahold of an 8 core Bulldozer nearly immediately.

Buy a 7970 ;D

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, looks like Ill just keep my 470 chugging along. Its fine, just runs hot and its 3 years old lol. Way overdue.

Hmm, looks like Ill just keep my 470 chugging along. Its fine, just runs hot and its 3 years old lol. Way overdue.
    If yours is running hot, you could try giving it a proper cleanout. When I used to have a fan on mine, it didn't get all that hot.

But I understand where you're coming from - with all the flashy GPUs since the 400s came out, all boasting such great performance increases, I too am getting antsy for a new GPU

Not that my 470 isn't performing well, still. Clocked at 800Mhz, it's giving me the best price/performance out of any single part I've ever owned.

When Patriot replace my SSD, depending on what they replace it with I may sell it and save the cash for my next GPU.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Quote Originally Posted by Dela2k10 View Post
    If this is true, you'd be a fool to buy a 560ti now:

http://www.obr-hardware.com/2012/01/...rce-specs.html

A "660ti" should easily beat the current 580 for half the price, hang in there ~5-6 weeks and get 2x the bang for your buck imo
    Absolutely not. That's never been the case. The GTX 480 still beats a 560 ti by a significant margin.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/309?vs=330

Not to mention a 560 ti 6xx equivalent will not release right away with the rest of the line. The standard 66x will, just the like the standard GTX 560. Then you could compare a GTX 560 to a GTX 480, and watch the 480 take massive disgusting shits all over it.

---------- Post added 2012-01-12 at 09:24 AM ----------

just runs hot and its 3 years old lol. Way overdue.
    No it isn't. At the absolute max it is a bit over 1.5 years old. And that's if you somehow managed to grab one of the very first OEM reference copies. The 470 and 480 released in the middle of March '10.
    Last edited by glo; 2012-01-12 at 09:25 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

just wait until nvidia launches the 700 series. I think it is coming out in q2 2012

wccftech(dot)com/nvidias-kepler-based-gtxgtr-700-series-gpus-performance-compared-geforce-500-series-generation-performance-chart/

cant post links yet ><

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Absolutely not. That's never been the case. The GTX 480 still beats a 560 ti by a significant margin.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/309?vs=330

Not to mention a 560 ti 6xx equivalent will not release right away with the rest of the line. The standard 66x will, just the like the standard GTX 560. Then you could compare a GTX 560 to a GTX 480, and watch the 480 take massive disgusting shits all over it.

---------- Post added 2012-01-12 at 09:24 AM ----------

No it isn't. At the absolute max it is a bit over 1.5 years old. And that's if you somehow managed to grab one of the very first OEM reference copies. The 470 and 480 released in the middle of March '10.
    You are wrong. It's already been announced a fair bit back that the GK104 have the speccs to be quite ahead of the GF110.

And you are partly right about the GK104 not being released right away. This is true. But since nVidia has said they want to release Kepler ground up, it will still be released before the GK100.

Also. Language. Consider it a warning.
    &nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    You are wrong. It's already been announced a fair bit back that the GK104 have the speccs to be quite ahead of the GF110.

And you are partly right about the GK104 not being released right away. This is true. But since nVidia has said they want to release Kepler ground up, it will still be released before the GK100.

Also. Language. Consider it a warning.
    It was an unofficial rumor. Along with said rumor, the starting price point was $400. How in the world is that supposed to be the "equivalent" of our 560 ti?

Also, language isn't against the rules as long as it's not "violent", or "extreme". Boub curses quite a bit on his own even. See first line:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/faq.php?...les_guidelines
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Upgrade when you need it and not when you get bored. :P
    You mean like I do when release of graphics card coincides with the massive surge of money to my bank account?

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    It was an unofficial rumor. Along with said rumor, the starting price point was $400. How in the world is that supposed to be the "equivalent" of our 560 ti?

Also, language isn't against the rules as long as it's not "violent", or "extreme". Boub curses quite a bit on his own even. See first line:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/faq.php?...les_guidelines
    You're thinking of a different 'rumour'.
    How it compares to your GTX 560 Ti? It doesn't. But it compares to its releaseprice in Sweden. Just because it doesn't cost what it does now, doesn't mean it's had that price all along.

Those are guidelines, not the sole rule and handbook. You should still watch it, especially since you'd fall under the extreme there.
    &nbsp;

Deleted
    Still running my EVGA GTX 460sc 1gb in SLI no need to upgrade yet i could no doubt wait for 700 series to come along before an upgrade is needed.