Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Warrior buffs incoming!

In case you missed it, good news for warriors/knights and great news overall as Bioware is already doing PVP and PVE balancing:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...43#edit1435443

Hi guys,

There are many different subjects discussed in this thread and I would like to take the opportunity to give you some information on the topics at hand.

First off, we currently have no indication that any class needs a huge buff. Class balance is defined by the interaction between classes and changes we make to one class will, inevitably, move the balance towards or from other classes. Our data and testing currently indicates that the Juggernaut and Guardian AC could use some buffing up in two areas where we see them underperforming against our expectations.

Here are some of the things we're planning to roll out in the short term specifically regarding Sith Warriors and Jedi Knights :

- Mobility/Anti Kiting (PvP) – We agree with the sentiment voiced by the community that some Guardians and Juggernauts have to work harder than other classes to stay within effective combat range, putting them at a disadvantage. We intend to address this in an upcoming patch where, as a first step, Force Push will clear the cooldown of Force Leap, granting for more reliable in combat pursuit capabilities to the Advanced Class. Further changes will be made if necessary.

- DPS spec survivability (PvP and PvE) – The DPS specs on Guardian and Juggernaut are performing to our expectations when it comes to the ability to create damage, especially of the burst variety. However their survivability is lagging behind our expectations, especially in the later game, and we are going to start addressing that particular issue in an upcoming patch.

Our attention to the class obviously won't stop here. Balancing MMOs is a never ending endeavor and we're in for the long haul. For example, we are certainly aware that the Marauder and Sentinel are very gameplay intensive classes with some of the most complex rotations in the game. While we are currently looking at quality of life and usability improvements to increase the class' playability without compromising the unique aspects of the class, we don't have anything specific to announce just yet. We do however anticipate that some of the combat responsiveness improvements (AKA 'ability delay' - more on that here) being worked on by our engineering team will specifically aid both Marauder and Sentinel.

In regards to PvE balance, any place in the game where our data shows significant issues with the balance tuning for one or more classes or specs are of course also being looked at.

For example, Jedi Knights will be pleased to hear that we are working on tuning the final mission in their class chain to provide a better, more fun and more reliably solvable challenge (see a post from another member of my team here). Currently a large percentage of players bring a friend to solve this mission, which, while social and often more fun, is not in line with our stated goal of allowing players to progress solo through their class arc if they desire to do so. We're also looking at some companions with a critical eye to improve their viability for certain role/companion combinations.

I would also like to give you some general understanding about approach to class balancing and how you can aid us with your feedback:

- Now that we're out of the first few weeks of launch madness, you will see class and combat balance issues addressed with increased frequency. Larger scale gameplay changes and features are more likely to coincide with major content releases, but smaller scale changes and improvements can be expected to become part of our regular update schedule.

- Statements that we hate a specific class or faction, or that we intentionally underbalance certain classes to make it less popular are conspiracy theory territory. We have nothing to gain from such an approach – we want players to pick the class and faction they want to play and have confidence that they are able to perform their chosen role in the game. Anything that comes in the way of that goal is considered a balance issue for us.

- We make our balancing decisions based on a combination of internal and external testing and metrics. We don't make decisions based on who is the loudest on the forums. Community feedback is valuable in bringing issues to our attention and even to highlight possible solutions, which means that well written, constructive posts are the most effective way to communicate your wishes and feedback to us, rather than petitions and calls to nerf specific classes.

- Please understand that balance issues during the leveling process are different than issues at level 50 and are handled in different ways. If you feel your class has issues during your journey to 50, especially communicate the level range and area of the game where you are experiencing issues to aid our investigations. Player versus Player situations in during the leveling process are not always balanced at every level (a mathematical impossibility), but we are always willing to investigate.

- Just because we haven't mentioned the specific issue close to your heart in a post (such as the one above) doesn't mean we are unaware of it or that we don't want to address it. It would be impractical for us to comment on all investigations currently in the pipeline. That said, we definitely want to take a more open approach in regards to upcoming class changes.

Finally, I'd like to acknowledge, again, that we do understand that there is a desire for players to get more detailed information what happens to their character in combat. We agree with those requests and are working on various ways to, optionally, get more detailed data on your combat performance.

Thanks for your feedback!

-- Georg
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2012-01-12 at 09:06 AM.

I hope they make Kira/Vette able to either tank or heal. It would be nice to be able to use the companion you like without gimping yourself.

Too little, too late, already rerolled Agent and having a blast.

I killed more people in my first warfront as a level 11 Agent than I probably did my entire time getting to 32 as a sith warrior. Mobility and survivability aren't the warrior/knight's problems, lag and ability delay are. There's no point in playing melee when nobody is actually where their avatar appears to be. Damage overall is another area where the Warrior/Knight is incredibly weak, and where a buff is truly needed; I don't see them buffing this, though.
    Last edited by Thrage; 2012-01-12 at 09:13 AM.

Very Very happy to see this.

in PVP as a tank specced jug I dont bring the damage so I had better bring something else like stuns or mobility.

Deleted
    Force Push will clear the cooldown of Force Leap
    Ah, sane balancing. Not when Rift went into obscene maximums making the class OP.

Companions going away in PvP planets. I bet next-next patch they will also realise that companions in duels are also foobar.

And with ability lag fixing, there's hope in this MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    been 50 for 2 weeks now, love my jugg, i didnt think it was lacking at all in pvp, but w/e buffs are always fun =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Trollsbane, Jedi sodomist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I hope they make Kira/Vette able to either tank or heal. It would be nice to be able to use the companion you like without gimping yourself.
    What's the problem with her?
    Every class has 1/2 companion/s that can only dps in 2 difference stances.

Worst problem is the ability delay and stuttering. For both Jugg/Guard and Sent/Mara.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Worst problem is the ability delay and stuttering. For both Jugg/Guard and Sent/Mara.
    Totally agree, just did Alderaan before the servers went down and the ability delay for my Jugg is simply horrendous.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    I think the worst problem is making a thread called 'Warrior buffs incoming!', for a game that doesn't have warriors.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am happy to see this, I had fun leveling my jugg to 50 and getting my Darth title, and at first I did enjoy the game getting progressively harder 3-50. BUT on Illum is where it turned into not having fun. Getting taken down to 30% hp(if you're lucky)with quinn healing you on a pull with only 1 silver mob. I didn't understand why elites were not a tough as the damn strong mobs. And forget about killing a pull with 2 strong mobs, especially if one is a healer/caster. I have already rerolled to a BH but will go back to my jugg if they actually fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
    I think the worst problem is making a thread called 'Warrior buffs incoming!', for a game that doesn't have warriors.
    Sith Warrior. Both Sith Juggernauts and Sith Marauders are also Sith Warriors. The only people this doesn't apply to are Republic mirror classes but honestly, that's just being nitpicky.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrage View Post
    Sith Warrior. Both Sith Juggernauts and Sith Marauders are also Sith Warriors. The only people this doesn't apply to are Republic mirror classes but honestly, that's just being nitpicky.
    Yes, we are Knights! Shining golden robo-samurai armored knights! Oh the joy!
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

You guys can be Warriors too.

... Even if you're holding yourselves back from greatness with your silly 'emotional restraint'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
    TOR dosn't have warrriors? It's alright for you to say this if you play Republic, but on the Empire side we sure have warriors. Sith Warrior mate, Sith Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrage View Post
    You guys can be Warriors too.

... Even if you're holding yourselves back from greatness with your silly 'emotional restraint'.
    Begone foul sith, your temptations will not work!
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Grable, have you seen Jaessa Williamson? The woman is a sexual maniac if you turn her evil. She wants to do EVERYTHING. Shes a dirty dirty girl.

Deleted
    personally I never found the tank spec to be lacking, as most pvp is about controlling a point, and the obscene survivability is a great asset, particularly if you shield a healer. As most people have said, the hardest part is fighting the ability delay and rubberbanding.

really? the class with force leap was crying about mobility? shadows/assassins get to sit there and everyone knocks back constantly, and we can hardly stealth outside of force cloak because we're in combat with everything that ever touched/healed us and whatever they were in combat with at the time until it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by arceuid View Post
    really? the class with force leap was crying about mobility? shadows/assassins get to sit there and everyone knocks back constantly, and we can hardly stealth outside of force cloak because we're in combat with everything that ever touched/healed us and whatever they were in combat with at the time until it dies.
    That's just it, I don't think anyone feels like the class is that bad off in the mobility department. Sure, it sucks to Force Leap up onto a platform in Huttball only to be knocked right back off before you even land, but there are worse problems the class faces.