Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Look at the rating of 2.7 out of 5 and that should say something. Not to mention Thermaltake imo, and I know some others, is not exactly the greatest brand of the bunch, I really suggest you look back at the list I gave you of brands. You could also see if there is a local Tiger Direct store or CompUSA store near where you live, or Micro Center, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't. They all will have a much more impressive stock of quality power supplies than Best Buy. Not to mention also the Thermaltake TR2 series are some of the worst with terrible reputations for blowing up and the like, more or less.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

It is presenting like a heat problem. You say you are running cool. Can you trust the sensors you are reading? Are you sure that the heat problem is not localized? I assume you have double checked air flow first? Simple things sometimes slip by.

Assuming you really are running cool, I would then look into the PSU.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

Max temps I have seen on the processor and board ar like 40c. Running a watercooler so pretty sure the heat is not the issue. Graphics card heat I checked right before the last power down was at like 52c dont think thats too hot so I am almost sure it must be power related at this point. It also only seems to do it when I have a game running maybe its due to the extra power needed on higher loads. Because it will run totally fine with no shutdowns just surfing the web downloading stuff and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that's a sign of a power supply that is too weak and could also be a dying power supply. I personally think it's the latter, a true 700 watt PSU would really not have an issue with your system.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, as I suggested, the TX line is a great line of quality power supplies.

However if you got another $15 or so... http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0352230 is even better quality AND fully modular! I have one and it's AWESOME. Plus you then get a $20 MIR on it, so really it's a no-brainer if your local Micro Center has one of these, the cost is quite good for the quality!

(Most of Corsair's products, at least PSUs tend to be a bit over-priced anyways.)
    "A flower.

Noob question whats modular in requards to power supply lol

10+ Year Old Account
    It means that none of the cables are inherently attached to the power supply, more or less. So it is REALLY helpful for cable management and instead of having to stuff all your extra unused cables in some area of the chassis (typically a very open and empty HDD bay) you get to choose which cables you need in your case and the rest you don't even have to install. It's brilliant and I never want to get a non-modular PSU again!
    "A flower.

A normal powersupply has every cable that isn't going into the wall firmly soldered onto the powersupply. You cannot remove them without breaking something.

Meanwhile, a modular powersupply comes with a number of cables that are not yet attached to the powersupply. You connect them with a basic plug and play kind of mechanic that is easy to use.

Ah cool thanks, i know what you are talking about now. The one I have now has that plug and go set up on it, has been very useful.

---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 08:33 PM ----------

Ok so I found out that they have 5 of these in stock. http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0352230

Now if I go with this supply will I be able to get a better graphics card in the future without getting a more powerful psu? Want to make sure I get something that still allows me to upgrade in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Not to mention also the Thermaltake TR2 series are some of the worst with terrible reputations for blowing up and the like, more or less.
    My Thermaltake TR2 was the best power supply I ever had. When it blew up and killed my LGA775 motherboard and video card in December 2010, my wife was happy with me upgrading to Sandy Bridge. Thank you, Thermaltake!

Using a single-core Pentium 4 for three weeks was torture though.
    Last edited by Nellah; 2012-01-14 at 01:38 AM.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogdieb View Post
    Ok so I found out that they have 5 of these in stock. http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0352230

Now if I go with this supply will I be able to get a better graphics card in the future without getting a more powerful psu? Want to make sure I get something that still allows me to upgrade in the future.
    Well, I don't think I would personally pair anything that sucks more juice than a 570 or 6970 with that Bulldozer chip of yours on this power supply. Being that Bulldozer pulls a crap ton of wattage out of the wall for little reward, especially if overclocked, so don't go to town on your CPU and GPU with overclocking and you should be totally fine.

I have the Seasonic X660 and it powers the following:

i5-2500K@4.0GHz
    MSI TFII GTX 560 Ti@ MSI factory OC of 880MHz core (I used to have it at 985MHz, which was a lot of power).
    P8P67 MoBo
    2 HDDs, 1 SSD
    5 case fans + CPU heatsink
    ODD, fan controller, and flash card reader.
    Asus Xonar DX sound card

TL;DR I think you'll be alright.
    "A flower.

Ok cool so picked a new one up today, havnt had time to test it fully yet. Hopefully it works thanks alot guys

10+ Year Old Account
    Course, come back and let us know what happens.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    I'm in no way any kinda computer expert, but I had a similar problem so I made an account to reply.
    My computer would play some games fine but higher spec games would cause it to shut off as though it had overheated.
    Anyway when I had the problem I searched everywhere for an answer but found nothing. One day I decided to open the Catalyst Control Center, there's a few options there, if you look there should be a CPU or Power menu. I don't know whether they all differ or not but if yours is like mine there will be a bar with processor speeds. There are little moveable marks on the bar, one for mininum and one for maximum. On mine the maximum and mininum bar where both right at the top so I moved the mininum down a little. Since then I havent had any problems. I don't know whether this is at all relevant, but if it is, I hope it helps.

Definitely the PSU man, that can be the only option if your gear isnt overheating.

Edit: didnt see OP's last post.