View Poll Results: How many subscribers by December 2012 ?

Voters
541. This poll is closed
  • Less than 1 million

157 29.02%
  • Between 1 - 3 million

244 45.10%
  • Between 3 - 5 million

104 19.22%
  • 5 miliion +

36 6.65%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    2 million. Max

Quote Originally Posted by Nerokyn View Post
    2 million. Max
    I would be very pleased if it stayed at 2 million.

The star wars franchise is ridiculously strong so why not. A lot depends imho on diablo 3 though since that title has basically the chance to bind pretty much the whole casual population of both wow and swtor.

1-3 mln, closer to 1 mln i think.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    I love this assumption lol.. You are completely going on the assumption that even IF (and I disagree) that the end game was exactly like WoW that anyone who left WoW would return because of that? I didnt leave WoW because of Panda's or Pokemon.. I left because of the direction the game is going and how stupid casual its getting. I loved what WoW was but can never be again. End game like WoW (before looking for raids and group stuidity?) yes please.

Everyone assumes that you MUST return to WoW if you want to raid and have fun.. please.

You claim wow's endgame is so terrible yet TOR has the exact same model with the same difficulty levels, the first difficulty of raids for TOR is easier than LFR (didn't even think this was possible tbh)

I could then go onto how bad the pvp system is but cba getting into another one of those debates....have fun in TOR and keep telling yourself its nothing like wow, you might even believe it after a while.

The only aspect of the game Bioware as improved is the leveling content (its brilliant, they did a good job) but with an MMO that content last what? a month if you try to stretch it out, others it lasts days, the game should of been built around the end game thats where people spend 99% of their time.
    Last edited by mmoceeceb76e25; 2012-01-12 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    You claim wow's endgame is so terrible yet TOR has the exact same model with the same difficulty levels, the first difficulty of raids for TOR is easier than LFR (didn't even think this was possible tbh)

I could then go onto how bad the pvp system is but cba getting into another one of those debates....have fun in TOR and keep telling yourself its nothing like wow, you might even believe it after a while.
    Do you know how to read? You obviously don't, or you chose not to read in this case. Let me point out the certain aspects of the post you replied to that shows that you very clearly did not read.

Vexies - I loved what WoW was but can never be again. End game like WoW (before looking for raids and group stuidity?) yes please.
    You (Flimsy) - You claim wow's endgame is so terrible yet TOR has the exact same model with the same difficulty levels

No, he did not claim WoW's endgame is terrible. He very clearly said that he wanted it, without the instant LFR shit and instant LFD. And guess what? That's TOR.

Reading isn't all that hard. I advise you take a lesson on it, but I suppose that would involve reading a book. Tough luck.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

A few of my friends picked up the game, and I almost pulled the trigger on release day, but I held back waiting to read a review/comments from people. In the mean time, all of the people who bought it have unsubbed, and are back to playing and complaining about WoW.

My biggest reason for not buying it and trying it out, was that I had to pay $60 for the game, and then a $15 subscription fee. That's too big of a risk, in my book. Had they come out with a free trial, even with a 72 hour restriction, they might have changed my mind. As it stands, I haven't heard enough positive things to gamble my $60.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    A few of my friends picked up the game, and I almost pulled the trigger on release day, but I held back waiting to read a review/comments from people. In the mean time, all of the people who bought it have unsubbed, and are back to playing and complaining about WoW.

My biggest reason for not buying it and trying it out, was that I had to pay $60 for the game, and then a $15 subscription fee. That's too big of a risk, in my book. Had they come out with a free trial, even with a 72 hour restriction, they might have changed my mind. As it stands, I haven't heard enough positive things to gamble my $60.
    They had what was basically an open beta over the course of three weekends. I get that a lot of people missed out on that though.You don't have to pay the $15 sub until after the first 30 days if that changes your mind at all.

I love this assumption lol.. You are completely going on the assumption that even IF (and I disagree) that the end game was exactly like WoW that anyone who left WoW would return because of that? I didnt leave WoW because of Panda's or Pokemon.. I left because of the direction the game is going and how stupid casual its getting. I loved what WoW was but can never be again. End game like WoW (before looking for raids and group stuidity?) yes please.

Everyone assumes that you MUST return to WoW if you want to raid and have fun.. please.
    Exactly, I left WoW because the end-game raiding model was ruined by trying to stretch the same content to 10/25/retarded/easy/hard/. I couldn't go back and raid in WoW because there's no real raiding going on there anymore. 25-man guilds are dying out everywhere, more and more people just collect free loot from LFR and the top end-game content is the same boring instance but harder. The only place where something resembling proper raiding happens are the few large servers, but the same fundamental problems will hit those servers eventually.

Bioware should've copied TBC's raiding model and improved upon that instead of copying the broken WotLK/Cata model. It's one of the reasons why I haven't bothered with SW:TOR yet, I want to see whether they can pull of proper end-game raiding or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    Exactly, I left WoW because the end-game raiding model was ruined by trying to stretch the same content to 10/25/retarded/easy/hard/. I couldn't go back and raid in WoW because there's no real raiding going on there anymore. 25-man guilds are dying out everywhere, more and more people just collect free loot from LFR and the top end-game content is the same boring instance but harder. The only place where something resembling proper raiding happens are the few large servers, but the same fundamental problems will hit those servers eventually.

Bioware should've copied TBC's raiding model and improved upon that instead of copying the broken WotLK/Cata model. It's one of the reasons why I haven't bothered with SW:TOR yet, I want to see whether they can pull of proper end-game raiding or not.
    That would probably have been one of the worst things they could have done. You'd have people in these forums trolling how "BIOWARE'S TOO STUPID TO MAKE SEPARATE MODES? LOL" or saying how "BIOWARE IS DEVELOPING A GAME FROM 2005 AND NOT 2011" which is something that is already iterated quite often.

The fact is, a game company has to recognize that there are different levels of skill among their playerbase, and that everyone does want to see the content. The difference is, however, is that it isn't cross-server and you can't just get away with pressing your LFR button, pressing your auto-attack, and getting loot.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're looking at about 1 million or less subscribers by next December. The game is great, but ironically its main strength is also its main weakness, and that's the story, and its single-player mindset. It is literally a single player game in a MMO game. Grouping is a hassle, because if I want to do quests with someone, I have to watch their story, or wait for them to finish their story. It just bogs everything down. The grind doesn't help either, and you definitely start feeling it in the 30s.

Everything just feels so....cumbersome. I got a 7-day pass to WoW 4.3, and it really hit me how efficient WoW is at just about everything. I could pick up groups quickly with my 85. I created a new Dwarf Shaman and getting from level 1-30 was a breeze. It just felt like coming home, and its definitely missing from SWTOR.

Bioware still has time to make SWTOR more streamlined, but Mists of Pandaria, FFXIV 2.0, and GW2 are all scheduled to drop later this year. They may not be able to get those players back to the fold once they're gone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Do you know how to read? You obviously don't, or you chose not to read in this case. Let me point out the certain aspects of the post you replied to that shows that you very clearly did not read.

Vexies - I loved what WoW was but can never be again. End game like WoW (before looking for raids and group stuidity?) yes please.
    You (Flimsy) - You claim wow's endgame is so terrible yet TOR has the exact same model with the same difficulty levels

No, he did not claim WoW's endgame is terrible. He very clearly said that he wanted it, without the instant LFR shit and instant LFD. And guess what? That's TOR.

Reading isn't all that hard. I advise you take a lesson on it, but I suppose that would involve reading a book. Tough luck.

Well you better get used to the system because half of the forums are covered in posts screaming out for it, I bet theres some sort of LFG system in place by the end of the year, I just dont see why people would hate the system THAT much they would quit, I prefer to get on with what I want to do and let the game make the group for me than sit in a major city spamming the trade channels.

Now relax dude...its just a game no need to rage out /kiss

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    That would probably have been one of the worst things they could have done. You'd have people in these forums trolling how "BIOWARE'S TOO STUPID TO MAKE SEPARATE MODES? LOL" or saying how "BIOWARE IS DEVELOPING A GAME FROM 2005 AND NOT 2011" which is something that is already iterated quite often.

The fact is, a game company has to recognize that there are different levels of skill among their playerbase, and that everyone does want to see the content. The difference is, however, is that it isn't cross-server and you can't just get away with pressing your LFR button, pressing your auto-attack, and getting loot.
    Personally I think the big mistake Bioware made was copying WoW in regards to two raid sizes, where the smaller size is equal to the number of classes (10 for wow, 8 for SWTOR if you count AC). The problem this causes is that it means since the designers cannot realistically expect you to bring every class to a raid, they can not design raids around some specific abilities so everything becomes a bit general and they have to ensure several classes can do each thing. If the minimum raid size was 1.5 times the number of classes I think they could realistically say "we expect you to bring one of each class" and then have the occasional boss where something needs to be spellstolen, or reflected or requires a teleport, etc.

As for why I left wow, I can't surely be the only one who's changing mostly because they're just really tired of the aesthetic of WoW after over half a decade. Frankly if I see one more dragon I'm going to go mental and I don't think there's much that Blizz can show me that won't just feel like more of them same (though MoP seems a good try). Sure it's swapping swords and guns for light swords and blasters, but sometimes a change of scenery feels good.

Deleted

I agree with what you said. But for me the Panda´s and Pokemon didn´t interest me a bit either. Have mostly been 7 good years but now I´m kinda tired of this game and were it´s heading. And like you said why do people need to come back to WoW for if they don´t think another game is fun? There are plenty of other good games out there, it´s not only like there is only WoW around.
    Last edited by mmoce01e91b901; 2012-01-12 at 06:41 PM.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    4M is possible by the end of the year. The next 90 days will be a huge factor.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Ive played mmo's with 100k and under subs and they were some of the best gaming memories I have. So really I don't care if it hits 400k or 4 million, if the game is fun the sub count means nothing to me.

I haven't tried ToR yet but I will eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    I think it will stay around the 1 million mark, people are loving the game atm because the leveling content is brilliant, once they hit the cap it pretty much turns into WoW, I can see the die hard wow fans returning to Azeroth before the year is out.
    i would, if the game itself wasnt such a joke now, and the fact they're making an expansion based on an obscure wc3 beta joke 99% of you dont remember or werent there to see it happen, lol. even if this game "turns into wow", its a wow that hasnt had 7 years to get ruined by bads and casuals, lol.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan007 View Post
    According to this article, it predicts SWTOR will hit 4 million subscribers by December 2012

http://geek.pikimal.com/2011/12/23/m...ions-for-2012/

What are your prediction for subscribers down the track
    Now, if only I could get a damn look at SWTOR in South Africa. F--king Origin store does not have it for sale.

A lot of changes in the MMO industry this year. As it is right now, I'm kind of "meh" with everything. Seen all I want in wow 4.3 - not too impressed after the last 3 weeks, quite frankly. Won't be resubbing to wow for a while. Pretty much over it.

Will probably look at it at the end of MoP if I can pick up the expansion cheap. WoW no longer releases expansions imo, but rather slightly bigger patches that you pay for. I'll reserve complete judgement till I see the gameplay trailers and read the reviews. Still, it's still going to have that crappy graphics engine, so I don't know.

Haven't even bothered resubbing to "Eve" and I had two accounts running briefly during the year. Rift runs out in a month, but they'll probably release path 1.7, so I'll probably resub - their content is always pretty awesome.

Actually logged onto to Skyrim a few times looking at side-quests I've missed.

This year there will be a huge shake-up in MMO's. Popular MMO's like Rift, SWTOR are in for a huge battle with such a huge number of new releases. While, I thoroughly enjoyed all the star wars movies, I like wielding a sword or magical staff, not a light saber, so GW2, Tera, and a host of other games are where I'm looking.

I've even considered Runes of Magic. Just want to try a different game that looks good and has good server populations. Kind of bored regarding all my mmo toys at the moment. Maybe just need a vacation away from all computer games.

Can't judge SWTOR till I play it, though.
    My blog & rants: www.wocky.me

10+ Year Old Account
    It's difficult to forecast, since the game is so new, and has so many issues. I cancelled my account after the first 30 days simply because the content isn't there, and I don't find the game to be everything I expected (I hyped myself up too much methinks). If they release regular content updates, listen to their subscriber base, and continue to make improvements like they say they will, I can see the game growing slowly but steadily. Unfortunately for them, they had an explosive release, which usually tends to garner excellent exposure while simultaneously turning people off due to issues with the game. I hope the game succeeds, it would be nice to have it become a viable sci-fi competitor to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    Four million is possible given the two million in box sales (per another thread & http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/40909/Global/). We don't know the digital sales numbers, which I think will likely be around another 1-1.5 million. SWTOR will loose probably 500k-750k after the first 30 days, but I think it will surge as more content is added in 2012.

Even though there has been a lot of bugs, they have been rolling out steady fixes and working on others. New content is also coming within the next month or so.
    I saw on this site about 2 weeks ago that there was about 2 million pre-orders. so does that not put it at around 4 million right now? If those numbers are right i can totally see it hold the 4 million #.