Sudden Performance Drop After Windows Update

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone here could help me with this issue. The other night I was playing SWTOR and my computer restarted to install a Windows update. When I logged back into the game after the restart the game became horribly laggy, its almost to the point where the game is unplayable even at low settings (getting under 10fps when I used to get 40). I have been running the game since release at max settings for everything and have never had a single performance issue or loading issue. Its almost to the point where my laptop with specs that barely meet the min requirements is running the game just as well.

I tried updating the graphics driver, but it had no effect. I tried to uninstall the update but it caused windows to have some serious problems so I reinstalled it. I ran a benchmark test on the graphics card but it matches where its supposed to be, so I can only conclude its an issue with this game and not the graphics card. I ran a repair on the game files, but it had no effect. I'm kinda out of ideas and figured someone more tech savvy would have some better ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Computer Specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
    Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M 1.0GB

10+ Year Old Account
    You could roll back your system prior to the update to see if the problem goes away. Just uninstalling usually isn't a good idea as the updates sometimes make changes to current system files which will now call upon items in the update.

Yes, agree completely with phile. I build custom computers and such and every now and then with a windows update or the god aweful graphics update, things can become unsteady at times, for instance the last nvidia update, i would be playing wow and i would black screen and freeze for like 3-4 min. and sure enough people on the forums were stating the same thing, had to look for a more stable driver. Just roll it back and see if that helps for step1, if not, try rolling to later point. Good Luck!

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. My problem is now, when I look at the system restore menu, I guess I tried too much installing driver software etc, that it no longer has a restore point before the update. Is there anyway to get around this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Starry101 View Post
    Hi, thanks for the suggestions. My problem is now, when I look at the system restore menu, I guess I tried too much installing driver software etc, that it no longer has a restore point before the update. Is there anyway to get around this?

Unfortunately no. Your restore is set to a specific size so as more restore points are created the previous are deleted.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Starry101 View Post
    Since you're using Windows 7 there is a check box in the bottom left corner of the system restore point window, that check box allows you to see older/previous restore point. Check that box and restore to a point prior to the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Since you're using Windows 7 there is a check box in the bottom left corner of the system restore point window, that check box allows you to see older/previous restore point. Check that box and restore to a point prior to the update.
    I tried this, but no additional points came up.

try putting swtor into compatibility mode with windows xp

it's a boost for everyone vs 7 or vista to do this right now

Quote Originally Posted by sulmithagreyse View Post
    try putting swtor into compatibility mode with windows xp

it's a boost for everyone vs 7 or vista to do this right now
    While not back to where it was, this made a significant improvement. Thank you!

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone said it but running in XP mode helps a lot.