[Noob] Basics of shadow rotation

Hello Guys - hope you can help with the few questions below.

I just got my old disc priest out of storage and get him a new nice shadow spec. I have the right and the right glyphs but problem, dunno how to play

I start most fights with applying the 3 main DOTs and then a blast followed by flays until it's time to renew dots (following Kilee's guide I think).

So here are my questions:

1) When I'm casting Mind Flay and blast comes up as I'm midway through the flay cast bar. Should I wait for the flay to end and then blast? or just blast right when it's off CD, no matter where I am in my channeling of Mind Flay?
    2) When AOE'ing, I use our AOE spell (forgot the name) on large packs, nice dps. On smaller packs (like adds before Murozond, dps is sorta of crap though.) Do you then follow a classic rotation on one add then swap to next when dead? (seems a lot of dots cast for a short time the mob is up). Apply the 2 dots and TAB target the other add (getting poor results too).
    3) I keep reading about "clipping" dots, not sure what that means.

Bear in mind I'm a noob at only getting 9k to 14k dps with my i376 gear... Please do not optimize your response for min/max players in full heroic where a tick of a dot might have a hug impact

Many many thanks!

Deleted
    For 2-3 mob trashpacks you can use dot or two and mostly Mindspike => insta mindblast spam... Ofc if you use dots, obviously dont dot the one youre mindspiking...
    Last edited by mmoc974ef5d94f; 2012-01-12 at 10:25 PM.

1) When casting MF and MB comes off cd, always clip MF and cast MB.

2) For large groups of cheap adds: Mind Sear by targeting the tank so you can keep casting without your target (tank) dying (hopefully) as for stronger adds you can either roll dots (SW: P + VT) or cast MS and MB.

3) Don't worry about clipping DoTs, Back in Wrath if we refreshed a DoT before it ended, we lost that dps but in Cata if we refresh them the left over time gets carried iver to the refreshed DoT. ie: Wrath: .5 secs left on DP, cast DP for put back up= lost of the last tick. Now: 3 secs left on DP, cast Dp = New duration will be Full Duration + time remaining on old DP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kilee's guide is probably the best place to get answers to those questions, check the FAQs.

My recommendation for Mind Blast is to cast it as soon as it come off of cooldown. You won't lose any dps for cutting Mind Flay short. You can get an addon like Gnosis or Quartz to let you know when Mind Flay ticks, and use Mind Blast just after the tick; The overall loss/gain is minimal, so you can safely ignore it. As for DoT clipping, what they mean is recasting the DoT before its finished its duration. What that will do extend the duration of the DoT without having any extended breaks between ticks. It should be safe to refresh your DoT's about 2 seconds before they wear off, and doing everything in your power to keep them from falling off will help your dps a lot. Mind Flay uses a similar system, cast it again before it completes the channel.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    regarding mind sear (our aoe) on large packs its worth it to havd SW:P rolling on 2-4 mobs to keep orbs generating, so you can use the occasional mind blast and keep up your empowered shadow buff. + ~30%?? to your aoe is a nice bonus