Deleted

Computer has started to shut off 5 mins into wow

Hey, perhaps this is in the wrong section, I apologies if it is.

This issue started to happen literally a few days ago. My system should be fine for playing wow and has been for a year now. I was using vista 32, gtx 260, CWT 750 watt psu, asus p5n-d motherboard, 4 gigs of ram, Q9550 CPU quad core.

I tried restoring to factory settings after doing the routine driver wipes (driver sweeper) and even installed Windows 7 64.

The issue seems to occur in some games only, and only in the past week. I was running Skyrim and Star Trek Online which are now effected (before I tried drivers and restore and win7). But other games like Anno 2070 are unaffected.

I've monitored my temperatures and fan speeds using Core Temp, Nvidia inspector, msi afterburner etc and my temps for cpu are around 38c and gpu 50c at idle and when running Furmark and prime 95 or Intel Burn test at the same time for 15 minutes the temps still stay in decent ranges (CPU to 75 GPU to 75). I have also run memtest and windows memory diag to check ram. I ran chkdsk on my HDD too. All came up fine.

I have also updated BIOS and checked for autoshutdown things (but there seem to be none).

I've checked for dust and feel it could be a psu issue. But why it only occurs every 5 mins into wow (clean install no addons) and the same with Skyrim and STO around the 5 minute mark as well - remains a mystery to me.

Does anyone have any advice? Short of switching out parts (which isn't so easy for me).

Thanks.
    Last edited by mmoc66faf708ee; 2012-01-13 at 02:52 AM.

Deleted
    So this started before or after switching to Windows 7 64bit? Is your windows copy legit, if not there could be something there.

84.47% of all computer problems that software don't fix are related to things being loose/broken in your computer. Open up your case and reseat your memory/GPU/CPU/CPU cooler. If none of that works its a good chance that its a PSU issue (and those are nasty and can destroy your other parts).

I hate PSU issues, they are like lupus but for computers
    Druid Paladin Priest Warlock Death Knight Hunter Mage Shaman Warrior Rogue Legendary Epic Superior Uncommon Common Poor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bytes View Post
    2016: Blizzard builds their new HQ on the moon

Shut downs are usually temps or voltages. If you think its the PSU, you can take it out and plug it in and test each line with a digital multimeter. These devices are around $10 dollars and is something your father might have in the garage. =D

Have you watched temperatures while in the game? They might rise while gaming and cause a shutdown.

Use a multimeter to check for fluctuations in voltages.. that's the real killer. If you find that the PSU is the fault, I would suggest a Corsair or Antec unit with Antec having the longest history of being solid performers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    So this started before or after switching to Windows 7 64bit? Is your windows copy legit, if not there could be something there.
    It started while I had vista 32 and has persisted through a HDD wipe and new installation of OS (windows 7) - all legit. Which made me think it was hardware related.

Quote Originally Posted by zakayron View Post
    84.47% of all computer problems that software don't fix are related to things being loose/broken in your computer. Open up your case and reseat your memory/GPU/CPU/CPU cooler. If none of that works its a good chance that its a PSU issue (and those are nasty and can destroy your other parts).

I hate PSU issues, they are like lupus but for computers
    Nothing had a reason to get unseated over the last month + but I have checked, and have even taken out the graphics card and memory just in case. The ventilation seems fine if the temperatures are to be believed. I am really leaning on a PSU issue, but most of the research I have done is around people with the wrong wattage in new systems. Mine has had this 750 since the start (haven't changed anything) - and if its a sign the PSU is on it's way out, then I'm puzzled that its not shutting down like in wow when I perform the stress tests (full load CPU, GPU, high temps etc)...

Am I leaving something out here short of buying new parts to switch around.

Thanks

Deleted
    Actually nvm.

Have you played SWTOR?

I've heard the way the software uses the hardware it can potentially damage it.

I can tell you for sure, on one of my PCs, when i first played SWTOR it would black screen my computer in a few minutes, then immediately afterwards it spread to wow. PC has been playing wow for years and several reports on the SWTOR forums confirms that this has happened to several people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonH2 View Post
    Have you played SWTOR?

I've heard the way the software uses the hardware it can potentially damage it.

I can tell you for sure, on one of my PCs, when i first played SWTOR it would black screen my computer in a few minutes, then immediately afterwards it spread to wow. PC has been playing wow for years and several reports on the SWTOR forums confirms that this has happened to several people.
    I have run SWTOR yes, but not since the end of prelaunch (although I have kept the client updated). I didn't have any issues playing SWTOR though at the time, and that went for wow and Skyrim too. SWTOR isn't on this reinstalled system though.
    Last edited by mmoc66faf708ee; 2012-01-13 at 03:15 AM.

Again, if you suspect a PSU issue, do NOT wait. Do not try to "get 5 min of gaming" in between restarts. A failing PSU can and will burn up your motherboard, graphics card, sound card, hard drives... literally anything receiving power from it.

I've been using the same PSU for years, through many builds. It's an Antec Trupower Quattro 850. For most system builders, they will chose whatever parts are on sale or have good "bang for the buck" for most of the system. The PSU, however, is a very important part to make sure you get a quality piece that will last for years and years without fluctuation.

If money is tight, I suggest getting a multimeter from Walmart and pulling the PSU and testing it. You can always take the multimeter back when you are done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only thing i can really see and others have mentioned is the PSU, do u overclock ya GFX card at all or is it running at default,also clean out any fans if u can thats if you have alot of dust built up.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Deleted
    I think that might be my only option, I just wish I knew why it was reliably causing a shut down in specific games and not more intensive operations. I don't OC anything, but have considered underclocking to see if that helped.