Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Datacons - how optional are they really?

I must admit, I never paid much attention to datacons in SWTOR. I knew they were a reward for exploration and I assumed they had some sort of title or cosmetic reward attached to them.

But after a little chatter in general chat, I found out that there's actually more to them than just a sense of achievement. They actually grant a permanent stat-increase to your character (+4 something, generally).

Now I'm a little torn on what to make of this. The idea of chasing around various planets for hours on end, trying to track these things down isn't exactly my personal idea of fun.

On the other hand I can understand Bioware wanting to reward explorers. I just don't know if this is the right way.

I know some people may say, "oh it's only optional, you don't have to do it". But then again, a couple of datacons can easily add up to the value of an epic item or two. Does that mean getting better gear is optional too.

Personally I'd just like to see an alternative way of attaining these bonuses. Something that's actually challenging, rather than just time-consuming.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you Crowe. I'm on the fence about Datacrons and the permanent stat increase. I like the idea of it, but it is pretty much mandatory for anyone who wants to play at a high level of the game.

I'm not so sure that the stat increases should be permanent or useful in raids, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    I wouldnt say they are mandatory at all. Sure you pick up a few stat points here and there and ( I believe a trinket or two? Yes, No?) but its hardly earth shattering if you don't get them. Until we have to tools to fine tune characters and encounters to the point where each and every .5% matter I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to get em get em but its not like your going to see some huge difference in your character if you dont.

Deleted
    A +2 stat increase isn't really that much

I'm at level 37 with +50 of certain stats; and at max level it can easily reach +100.

I guess min-maxers might care; but they are in the end optional.

Also, keep in mind, that some datacrons give you Matrix Shards, which depending what shards you use, will make some pretty nice Relic stat sticks.

My current one on my Shadow is 1 Blue/2 Red, for like +30 Endurance/+25 Willpower (not the precise stats, but close). Do note you can only have 1 Matrix Cube made at a time.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can level to 50 and then take couple of hours to get them all in one go, just watch some video guides on Youtube (there ton of them out there).
    I like going after the datacrons after Ive just finished a planet and some of the datacrons are actually challenging to get (Taris Empire +Willpower says hello).

I like having to hunt for them.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    It increases higher as you get to harder planets.

Hoth, Balmorra, and Belsavis are all +4 bonuses. (Balmorra for Republic that is)

Deleted
    Well, if you don't collect them, you will miss out on some stats. It won't be the equivalent of an entire item, however. Not all datacrons raise a stat important to you, a quick glance over a list gave me a grand total of 24 aim to be gained from datacrons (possibly counting something twice due to republic/imperium only planets that I didn't skip). 24 aim is probably nothing you'd even notice if it was missing. Just a reward, but never the equivalent to "an epic item or two", unless we're talking level 10 epics.
    Just a first glance, though, there might be more to it.

it doesnt take long at all to collect them all up, most are pretty easy to collect and altogether the stats do add up a decent chunk, its at the very least 20-30 to pretty much all stats so a little time invested in collecting them is well spent
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Its a bit ignorant to say you want something thats more challenging when some datacrons take 2 and even 4 people to obtain.
    Dont read guides on where to find them and how to get them as some are well hidden...there is your challenge.

You don't get them from just explorering, alot of them are puzzles and actually quite fun.

Collecting datacrons/shards are equal to like, say.... running hard mode flash points for gear. Not stat wise clearly, but time consuming wise. If you want the stats you go get them. In fact, datacrons/shards are so simple to get that I would say running flashpoints is "harder". The only one that takes a group is the +10 at the fleet.

I got all the ones important for my class and a new relic at 50 in about 3 hours. I used google and just went out and got them. I fail to see how this is difficult to do or worth complaining about.

Deleted
    I have 1.6k STR atm without a single datacron, not gonna waste time hunting them and making it 1650 lol. The only ones I strongly suggest getting are those which drop shards, which can be turned into Matrix Cubes - best relics ever.

As some have stated the stat increase is basically for those looking to get every bit out of their character. There are some pretty nice relics that can be made from the shards you collect from some then go to another planet to for into a relic.
    There is also very little hunting as there are plenty of guides on line outlining the locations.
    One listing, though not fully updated to shards

BH thread outlining shards with good guide through them

Some are actually a challenge to get to, or a large bore time sink (hello tatooine blimp!).

All and all though at 50 it isn't hard to track them down quickly, just pick a couple planets and go for them once a day or so. Think did the blue shard ones in 30-40 minutes of running around. That doesn't count the 20 minute blimp ride which once on it went and browsed mmo champ for a bit.

I grabbed all the datacrons yesterday, except for the broken one on ilum and the green matrix shard on belsavis, it took me staying up all night and it wasn't the end of my life. The +10 stats datacron might make you want to kill somebody but your life should be safe no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post

I'm at level 37 with +50 of certain stats; and at max level it can easily reach +100.

I guess min-maxers might care; but they are in the end optional.
    I have all 67/67 completely worth it to anyone doing serious pvp of pve plus some are really really fun to get

Also there not all +2 the later planets are +6 also the relic you get is pretty much everyone's BIS at this time.

now obviously you only need the ones that purtain to your class but I thought finding them was to fun to not see howcrazy and clever they get.

---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 11:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Manveru View Post
    I have 1.6k STR atm without a single datacron, not gonna waste time hunting them and making it 1650 lol. The only ones I strongly suggest getting are those which drop shards, which can be turned into Matrix Cubes - best relics ever.
    You would get it to 1715 plus add the Willpower ones for more force damage and the endurance for an extra 1250 health completely worth it
    Last edited by Domenik; 2012-01-13 at 04:06 PM.
    (█████████████████████ΞΞ██ΞΞΞ██ΞΞ█████████████████████)
    Ghost -- Jedi Consular -- Shadow -- Infiltration 8/31/2
    {Scheduled Raids | Organized PVP | Community Oriented | Helpful to one another | Team Speak provided | Website}
    Why wait Join today! still recruting!

Deleted
    Well, I'd expect any decent guild to insta-reject anyone who doesn't even have all free permanent stat boosts, no?

If you dont think +70 to all stats is important, then please skip the datacrons, but don't cry if you dont get asked to HMs in the future when min/maxing will be more apparent. Besides, datacron hunting is about the most fun I've had in this game yet, and is one of the things that makes it unique from WoW.

Sitting at 64/67 myself atm, got most of them while leveling up. Missing the Corellia one (damn you bodytype 3), and the Belsavis one requiring the Rakata Energy Cubes (and 1 on Dromund Kaas, possibly a display error).

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Is "datacons" a clever pun, as if to say getting them is some kind of con job? Because I'd almost agree with you if we're talking about Tatooine. Damn you, balloon!

They're only as optional as any other player-accessible feature in the game. Do you really need both Relic slots full to enjoy the game? No... but if you want to be better at whatever it is your advanced class does, you might want to get some Relics. And if you're a min/maxer, you'll want the best Relic you can find.

You don't need all the datacrons to play the game. They're kinda designed to be optional: +2 or +3, with some +4s thrown in later isn't going to make or break you no matter how you play. But you'll want them eventually, even if only to say you "caught them all". And you don't have to waste your time hunting for them unless you really like the challenge. There are several spoiler sites up with maps, screenshots, and demo videos that show you exactly where to go and what to do to get each one.

Seems like a no-brainer.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

I think datacron hunting, assuming one doesn't just look them up on google, is pretty fun. They really hid some of them well, and I think its fun to be walking along a pipe high above other players questing, really makes me appreciate the environment. Once I hit 50 I'll gladly go back and pick up the datacrons I missed. The only thing I wish is that you could just apply the bonus to your alts via legacy system, there are some time consuming ones that I can see not enjoying the third or fourth time around.