Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do you do it?

I'm not one to rant, as you can tell by my post count. Last night I was on my young priest healing a random. I've done this several times before and have had a good time with it but one group last night got to me. They were consistently pulling more mobs than we could really handle but everyone stayed alive. I called them on it and told them to stop and assist the tank, who was quite good actually, and they did for a couple of pulls.

So one of the dps links Recount saying that he is doing great dps, I told him I don't care about dps I just want this to be a smooth run. He bickers and tells me to stop bossing people around and heal the tank. So the next pull we get too many and I go lom and the tank has gotten agro off all the mobs on the dps that were pulled. So we do wipe on that one and the tank leaves. The dps says they were doing plenty of dps but I couldn't heal well enough. Well the other runs I had done that night went perfect and no one died, in fact one of the runs was half way over because they had kicked the previous healer and told me I was much better.

Now I'm not saying that I'm perfect, far from it, but that group really bugged me. I've had bad groups before but the dps knew they had messed up or didn't say anything and left and we got people who did things right. I had just never been bothered by a group like that before and I'm sure there will be many more to come. I love healing and want to continue doing it but I don't want to get worked up over things like that. It actually kept me awake longer than I would've been if the run went smoothly. It just wouldn't get out of my head and still isn't. So how do you as priest deal with dps and groups like that?

10+ Year Old Account
    DPS are notoriously huge douches. I'm a hunter, and I try to be as nice as possible to counter-balance the epic fail that is the dps community. You have to remember, dps is the easiest thing in the world, so utter idiots can do it.

Easiest thing to do, get friends. find people who don't suck, and stick with them. Pay no mind to low level instances either, those people will never make it to 85.

I ignore them, if they bitch, they dont get healed...simple stuff. They do their job and I'll do mine

10+ Year Old Account
    How do I do it? I don't do randoms. Sad, but true. I'm a competent healer with very little tolerance for dbags and idiots.
    I am sorry you had to experience what you did, but it'll happen again even if you do everything right. Those kind of people are just out there =\
    You'll either do fewer randoms, or grow a thicker skin and realize you're not the one with the problem.

Deleted
    Not as a priest, but as a Paladin, I just either don't heal them or just tell them to shut up and just get on with it. If they're being a dick then they don't deserve to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukioish View Post
    DPS are notoriously huge douches. I'm a hunter, and I try to be as nice as possible to counter-balance the epic fail that is the dps community. You have to remember, dps is the easiest thing in the world, so utter idiots can do it.
    Actually, DPSing is harder than Tanking if you want to do it 'perfectly' (maybe apart from a Blood Death Knight). But I get what you're saying.

OT: Ignore people in PuGs, most of them are either trolling or stupid.

"How do you do it?"

Pills, putting a wallet between my teeth, buying lots of pillows to beat on. Turning on the maturity filter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikayo View Post
    How do I do it? I don't do randoms. Sad, but true. I'm a competent healer with very little tolerance for dbags and idiots.
    I am sorry you had to experience what you did, but it'll happen again even if you do everything right. Those kind of people are just out there =\
    You'll either do fewer randoms, or grow a thicker skin and realize you're not the one with the problem.
    this- find a few people from your guild, or even just from your server, to do a few dungeons with. As soon as you place yourself with random people who you will never meet again -and are fully aware of that- you have to expect this kind of douchebaggery.
    Unfortunately, it does seem to be worse from dps than healers/tanks. I think this is more because dps have a quantifiable value- i.e your recount meter, and therefore they believe that the difference between an amazing player and a dribbling vegetable is how high that number is.

Don't do full pug runs. I always try to have at least 1 or 2 guildies with me to smooth things out. If I do solo-queue runs, its usually just to valor cap a toon that heavily outgears the instance anyway.

I usually dps and take your approach Rukioish. I know I shouldn't let it bother me and I usually do have much tougher skin but last night just pushed the wrong button for some reason. So all the tips for those nights are good to hear and try.

I'm leveling this priest so my guild has a back up healer on raid nights, so I want to be put in different situations so I can react better once I start raiding with him. Once I get to a certain level I won't have to worry about PUG's anymore so I guess there is light at the end of the tunnel.

On a more serious note than my previous comment the main issue is that people, real people, like to be treated diffrently when it comes to criticism and to handle it in a good manner you need to know them. Some want you to be frank and upfront about it, others want you to wrap it in cotton or hint gently. We come from diffferent cultures, different backgrounds and different upbringings. There is not enough time in LFG to get to know most people well enough to know how to deal with them. After some time one developes some kind of feel for dealing with specific types of players but they are still stereotypes and it doesn't always work out well however nice and smooth you try to be about it. in those cases it's better to just move on and not care too much about it because otherwise you'd just develop a heart condition.

In general be nice, show respect. Ask nicely and even if you do expect them to do their job don't tell them you do expect it and are disappointed with them for not doing it in the first place but try to instead give them the impression that doing so would make you happier and that it would be easier for you if they did it (be careful about refering to the group. Be personal. It's what you need to succeed. If you become the "spokesperson" of the group they'll just feel as if you ganged up on them and go into defense). Most people like to help out. If they don't care anyway just let go of it and hope for a better run next time. You cannot change the world on your own.
    Last edited by Blakkeyez; 2012-01-13 at 04:44 PM.

Deleted
    I usually use to run with a tank from my guild and we have our own speed that is pretty fast. If people are faster than this they just die, since wie both outgear most instances by far we are perfectly able to two-man it. If people join our speed however they will have a nice and smooth run so its their choice.

I however had experiences similar to yours while leveling and gearing, just don't pay attention to those guys, if you plan on picking up raiding you are out of this ilvl range in no time and don't need to bother anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've hardly ever had bad runs. I always did randoms, unless someone from my guild specifically asked me. But I just healed through it if I could, and if I couldn't I would ask them to slow down and explain I didn't have an infinite manabar. If the group was really bad about that I'd just drop the group, bitch about it in Guild chat and queue up again.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Bad groups sometimes push a healer to the limits. And I personally think it's a great thing. At the start of cataclysm, I loved getting such groups, they definitely made me become a better healer.

Just look at it as a challenge.

IDK about you guys but when I do guild runs they wind up being sloppier than pure pugs. Interrupts don't happen, pulls get chained way too fast, DPS constantly get aggro by being too trigger happy and not focus assisting.

We never wipe, though. Why? Our DPS is so high that everything dies instantly. I'm a boss and I can keep the mage alive while he tanks trash, because he's a boss and kills them so quickly.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    As long as people do more dps than me when I atonement heal while watching anime through the entire dungeon; I'm happy.

Deleted
    If they annoy you stop healing them for the whole run and have fun with them keep dying. You dont even have to answer to chat just ignore them and heal tank and the dps that dont mess up.
    After 2-3 deaths they will either leave or behave. Actually i even stop using aoe heals to prevent them from being at all healed from me (^^)

For people like that, there's a handy little command you should know:

/ignore Playername-Servername

Enter their characters name and server name, and they will be put on ignore, and you will never be put in any other random group with them again.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Deleted
    What was that old saying, a tanks job is to keep mobs off the healers, a healers job is to keep the tank up and heal unavoidable damage, and the dps job is to not pull agro and not take extra damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was classic, bad DPS. The tank was not able to pull the mobs himself, so he had to go strip the mobs off the DPS. By the time he had them stripped, you were near OOM from healing the squishy DPS.

Bottom line, if you see this going on, let the DPS die. It helps you and the tank, the DPS can get stuffed with their meters while you and the tank slowly kill off the mobs as they run back.