Thread: Laptops

Laptops

Hello everyone, I'm in the market for a new laptop.

I've been browsing around and this one seemed to be a nice match for what I wanted, however it lacks a few things that I find important. So I was hoping someone could help me find a similar laptop spec wise, and price point wise.

This is the laptop I'm referring to: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152266

My main gripes with it are the lack of a backlit keyboard and a good track pad. Often times I'm in situations where I need to be able to see the keys and cannot turn a light on, as well as not wanting to use a mouse all the time. I'm coming from a MacbookPro, so I'm a little spoiled in the track pad department. Something that is comparable to their's is preferable.

I also need to be able to swap in a ssd, as well as keep another second normal hard drive in the laptop. So something with a 1 tb hdd and the ability to put in a 120gb ssd, is preferable.

Glossy screens are preferable, as well as something in the 15 inch department.

Also, would it be better to wait a while? I don't pay much attention to laptops so I don't know if anything new is coming out. I don't need it right away, so waiting a bit isn't an issue.

Thank you for the help.

Do note that that laptop has two (7200rpm) 500 GB harddrives, pre-configured in Raid0. Meaning, you can't just add an SSD.
    That is also a very good laptop (for gaming), and I'd say you won't be needing an SSD.

Comparable to an Apple trackpad? Buy a new Apple computer. Non-Apple computers cannot compare. Sorry.

I was aware of that. If I did end up going with that laptop I planned to disable raid 0 and swap out one of the drives for an ssd and the other 500 for a 1 tb. I would be using it for editing images as well, and I'd prefer not to lose both drives with all my photos if one fails. I do keep backups, but it's a hassle I'd rather not deal with if it does occur.

And I don't mean to sound rude, but if I wanted one I would. I'm going to a windows laptop because of the lack of games that are available on mac. I would run windows on my current laptop, but it's too slow to do that, and run the game as well. It's a 3 year old laptop and doesn't run games very well as is. That, combined with similar speced windows laptops being much cheaper and me not wanting to pay Apple's price, I decided to go with a windows laptop. That wasn't an issue before, the laptop was a gift from my dad. However this time I'm paying for it and I don't really wan't to spend $2500 to get something remotely decent, especially when I could get something quite a bit better for significantly cheaper. I love Apple products, just not their price.
    Last edited by CardboardBox; 2012-01-13 at 07:11 PM.

My point still stands, non-Apple computer aren't very close at all to Apple's in terms of the trackpad.
    So you'd have to settle with a poor one.

Yeah, I guess I'm not going to find anything comparable, and if I did it probably wouldn't have the specifications I want. I was looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152295 it's just a slightly upgraded (or so I think) version of the other one. Has a 570M over the 560M and a 2.2 GHz over the 2.0 GHz. How big of a difference will that make in gaming, and applications like Lightroom 3 and Photoshop?
    Last edited by CardboardBox; 2012-01-13 at 10:39 PM.

Deleted
    I have the GT780R (same model but with backlit keyboard and 17 incher) and I don't want to scare you, but the track pad on the MSI is not comparable to any of the Apple laptops.

But the hardware is extremely good for the price and the GTX560M will satisfy all your gaming needs and I suppose editing as well.

Try and get a mouse and a mouse pad, it will be well worth it.

In regards to the 570M it is a good upgrade over the 560M I think about 20% better performance and higher over clocking potential. The processor is marginally better about 5% over
    the other one.

I just got the Asus g74sx as a Christmas gift, It has a backlit keyboard, 17.3 inch display, gtx560, i7, and Blu Ray. This laptop runs games on high/ultra depending on what game it is, im loving it so far.

Can it wait ?
    Buying a laptop now would be a pretty bad move as we are on the verge of a DIE SHRINK For both video cards and processors.
    Also despite what Tetris says there's laptops with clickpads which while arent a mac-like luxury arent bad either. Maybe a thinkpad with a trackpoint?
    Anyways, that laptop you've got there is good, but i'd wait a couple of months as Wattage to performance ratio will increase. Significantly.

Well, it looks like the MSI G Series GT683 will be the best bet, but I'll wait a bit to see if something new comes out. I don't need it just yet, my laptop hasn't completely died on me as of right now lol.

I don't even know what you guys are talking about with mac trackpads. My brother has a macbook pro and I don't even feel a difference compared to my older dell.. and why do you care about the trackpad so much? Not like you need a super good one when using your laptop on the go and at your house you can use a mouse which is much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got a barebone GT780DXR, 17 inch, GTX 570m, i7 2630qm, 6gb memory for 1,200$ 5 months ago on http://www.xoticpc.com/ I got a pretty good deal if I must say. Take a look at their site, get a barebone.

Here it is now, actually cheaper than when I got it months ago. http://www.xoticpc.com/force-1761-msi-1761-p-3152.html

Oh, I also bought a 64 M4 SSD on newegg for it when I got it also. It came with a 750GB HDD. To bad I barely use the thing :/

I don't think you can't beat this deal though.
    Last edited by haxs101; 2012-01-14 at 04:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting