Black Bars around the side of my screen.

Hey everyone, I just finished my build, and to my surprise, when I turned on the monitor, I saw that there was a black bar around the outside of the screen on all four sides that is about an inch thick. The monitor, GPU, and MOBO are all brand new, GPU-Radeon 6870, MOBO - Asrock extreme3 gen3 and the monitor is Asus VH236H. The drivers on the GPU are all updated, but all the drivers for the Mobo are not. I am just looking for some advice on how to get rid of these annoying and pesky bars. Thanks

Did you set the resolution?

10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure your motherboard drivers are updated regardless.

Make sure your resolution in AMD Catalyst matches the resolution of your monitor, and the resolution in Windows 7 matches the resolution of your monitor.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The wrong hz settings on screen and in drivers kan make a screen look like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    youre using a hdmi right?

I am connecting with HDMI, the screen resolution is set to 1920x1080 (the correct res), and the hz is set to 60.

Had the same issue when first started pc after building, just download video card drivers

Edit: i see you did if its not nvidia there should be something in options

try this

ccc>my digital flat panels>scaling options>put the 0% overscan

Quote Originally Posted by Mortalis71 View Post
    try this

Thanks a ton, this worked! are there any side effects that may occur because I set the overscan to 0?[COLOR="red"]
    Last edited by Khaaaaaaaan; 2012-01-14 at 07:02 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalis71 View Post
    try this

This.
    When connecting via HDMI, the video driver automatically puts you in overscan mode, a stupid remnant of the pre-digital tv era.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    This.
    When connecting via HDMI, the video driver automatically puts you in overscan mode, a stupid remnant of the pre-digital tv era.
    Seems to be limited to ATI/AMD, since the same happened when I first connected my laptop (AMD) via HDMI to the TV and my monitor, yet never happened when I connected my HTPC (Nvidia).
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Quote Originally Posted by Khaaaaaaaan View Post
    I am connecting with HDMI, the screen resolution is set to 1920x1080 (the correct res), and the hz is set to 60.
    When you use HDMI to connect computer to monitor or TV overscan is always turned for compatibility with CRT TVs or projectors on both Nvidia and AMD cards. DVI cable does not have that problem, and is always better idea just to save you from the headache of turning overscan off manually.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.