Deleted

Mastery as Protection

Hey there ^_^
    I ask now sorry if this question has been already answered, but..

Well, is there any declared 'mastery cap' to pay attanction at? Tonight during a lfr run i saw a paladin that hasn't any mastery gem on gear because he reached the cap, he says. But when I asked what sort of cap is, how much it is in %, he didn't answer.

So, is that true?

P.S: Because I've created this post, I'll take the occasion to ask you to check my Tank on the EU armory ;D I'll appreciate all advises - no exeption ^^
    Because of the loss of posts I've done, all that I can do is to give you 'his' name: Samziel, 85 BE Crushridge

Thanks for your kindness,
    Sam.

P.P.S: Err.. heh, sorry if I used inadequate or mispelled words, but english is not my motherlanguage ^^

The technical 'cap' for mastery is when your dodge% + parry% + block% + 5% miss chance = 102.4. You can have any combination of the first three, but ideally you want to have your dodge/parry as high as possible and your block as low as possible while maintaining 102.4 so you have full avoidance more often and aren't simply wasting stats.

The Paladin you must have run into was combat table coverage capped before the use of gems. Until you have enough mastery on your gear for that, you'll need to gem for it; once you have that, it's fair game to build for a more stamina based setup (as many prefer, including myself) or a more dps based setup.

Deleted
    im not that kinda into prot pallies anymore, but you can always check your avoidance percentage with an avoidance macro like this:

/run ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Unhittable at 102.4%% - you have %.2f%%", GetDodgeChance() + GetBlockChance() + GetParryChance() + 5))

if it should happen, you are above 102,4% with 10 stacks from your avoidance trinket from spine and with kings on, you should dump some of it.

Deleted
    At the moment I have about 60% Block 16% Parry&dodge, for a total of Uhm.. 99/102 CtC. but I've socketed all on mastery to do that. How is possible to get Ctc without the precious help of sockets? :O
    ..Sorry if I'm an 'hard to get' one
    I have to take count of dung/raid/self buffs and HS?

Quote Originally Posted by Jivhan View Post
    At the moment I have about 60% Block 16% Parry&dodge, for a total of Uhm.. 99/102 CtC. but I've socketed all on mastery to do that. How is possible to get Ctc without the precious help of sockets? :O
    ..Sorry if I'm an 'hard to get' one
    I have to take count of dung/raid/self buffs and HS?
    Reforging, and enchants are 2 more ways you can get more mastery. Do not expect to cap on CTC at 333 gear. I was in almost full 378 with 2 mastery trinkets before I hit the cap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    Reforging, and enchants are 2 more ways you can get more mastery. Do not expect to cap on CTC at 333 gear. I was in almost full 378 with 2 mastery trinkets before I hit the cap.
    At the moment I'm nearly full LFRT13 set and 386 average IL ^_^

At the moment I'm nearly full LFRT13 set and 386 average IL ^_^
    I see you are using Resolve of Undying, when it procs, check your avoidance. If not, you can get your hands on a second mastery trinket to be capped all the time.

Deleted
    Well, Thanks guys.
    Never considered that buffs happens ;D
    So I have to consider CTC Cap with all the possible buffs that are almost always up? (I.e Resolve and HS during Ultraxion)

Well, Thanks guys.
    Never considered that buffs happens ;D
    So I have to consider CTC Cap with all the possible buffs that are almost always up? (I.e Resolve and HS during Ultraxion)
    These bufffs would be Blessing of Kings and food buff. In your case, you also have a trinket proc. As I don't have it myself, I can't say how often it procs and how reliable it is. But yes, you do gain 1-2% more avoidance from raid buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    These bufffs would be Blessing of Kings and food buff. In your case, you also have a trinket proc. As I don't have it myself, I can't say how often it procs and how reliable it is. But yes, you do gain 1-2% more avoidance from raid buffs.
    Don't forget to add Horn of Winter/Battle Shout/Strength of Air Totem to this combo, as it gives you more avoidance than the food does.

Looked up your armory.

Unbuffed - 92.31% coverage. After factoring in Resolve stacks, you should be sitting somewhere near 96%. I would guess that raid buffs, mainly Kings, Horn of Winter (Strength of Earth, Shout), and food buff would bring you pretty close to cap, but you'd have to test those conditions to be sure.

Edit: As a side note, your parry is much higher than dodge right now. If you can find places to forge gear from parry->dogde without losing mastery, do it. The way diminishing returns works means that you want to have your parry/dodge numbers as close as possible to get the most out of both.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzior View Post
    Edit: As a side note, your parry is much higher than dodge right now. If you can find places to forge gear from parry->dogde without losing mastery, do it. The way diminishing returns works means that you want to have your parry/dodge numbers as close as possible to get the most out of both.
    when i checked armour you were in ret stuff
    on the quote aove remember you gain 780/880 dodge rating from trinkey and only 300~ parry rating from stre buff+kings leaving 90 dodge also gained from food ( if feast). this leaves you wanting dodge/parry ratings before any buffs to have parry 400-500 higher than dodge.

also if you get the choice to be <100 rating either way having parry higher means windwalk gives you slightly more.

if you can manage to get ctc before gems it means there is no reason not to be geming pure stamina in a blue slot and hybrds with stamina in the rest.

i believe that in full heroic we are gona end up socketing everything in solids anyway but that may depend on trinket choices.