10+ Year Old Account

XP --> Windows 7

So I'm building my first computer and am wondering if when I'm done can I pull the HDD from my old computer, attach it and transfer my files (music, photos, videos and other assorted files) to the New HDD? Or would the XP files be different from Windows 7 file types?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Any music/video/photo's will transfer just fine seeing as they are a set file type (avi, mp3, jpg) that is recognized by pretty much every OS out there.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

As long as you keep in mind that "other assorted files" does not include installed programs. Those you will need to reinstall manually, and getting 64bit versions for most of them would be handy also.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Wouldnt the trouble with moving files from one OS to another be compatible file systems ? It has less to do with what the file types are and more to do with the file system of the drive they are created on.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

The old XP drive I would expect to be formated to NTFS or FAT32 which Win7 would have no issues with
    Last edited by TaintedOne; 2012-01-14 at 09:46 AM. Reason: American therefore bad at english
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TaintedOne View Post
    Wouldnt the trouble with moving files from one OS to another be compatible file systems ?
    That can be the case if you're trying to copy data from a different type of operating system, e.g. Linux to Windows, or from a newer to an older operating system. Windows 7 has no issues reading Windows XP created partitions, as both use NTFS.