Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wille1000 View Post
    Why wouldn´t you want to get rid of the the holy trinity system?
    Because I like it. Why don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Raptoos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    The holy trinity prevents dynamic game play.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptoos View Post
    serveral reasons

1.) if tank fails then whole encounter is a wipe
    2.) the lfd wait time for dps vs tank and healer, then ppl who complain when you go tank and dont have perfect gear
    3.) design philosophy of cataclysm, tanks get one shotted by almost everything, and only two resses in 10 man and 4 in 25 man

wrath actually had fun encounters and let you support with heals form a boomkin or other support abilities, and had constant damage, but could rez through the whole encounter, waiting for rez timers just at that crucial moment and still winning
    Last edited by Paladuin; 2012-01-15 at 04:54 PM.

Why do I dislike the trinity? Firstly, because of the bottleneck it places on trying to find a group to do an instance - it's okay if you're a tank or healer...but it you wanna play DPS, then, in my experience, you can expect to wait a lot longer or/and be a lot more proactive about spamming "DPS looking for party to do x" or "Party looking for tank". All things being equal, I'd prefer to spend my time in game *doing* an instance - rather than trying to put a team together...and I never want to think "perhaps I should create a tank - I don't want to, but it's gonna be the easiest way of experiencing this content".
    Probably more true for people without organized guilds or frequent PUG players.

Rarely does one see a serious guild lacking the needed class components for play.

While I agree GW2 does sound to be an interesting concept I am more into the increasing power progression of standard MMO fare, and don't care much about my avatar looking cool! That is one downside of GW2 for me personally!
    The dynamic events in GW2 do sound awesome and that alone may be worth checking out but the problem I have is that lack of reward (aside from appearance changes), is discouraging for me!

I think the game will do well and many will find it fun to play, I just don't think it will be for me! I will likely give it a try but I am not expecting much to come of it tbh! I enjoy the "gear treadmill" and ever increasing player power, and really could care less if my toon looks like a "clown", lol, he's a clown that will smash faces!

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Rarely does one see a serious guild lacking the needed class components for play.
    actually that happens in any guild, trying to get anyone to que up for weekly valor points becomes a hassle, not to mention if they did it earlier in the week or were on earlier than you for time, b/c ppl want to progress they wont wait on others to do weeklys for valor points or else there called bad players

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I donno guys gw2 is looking to take over with a completely new mmo, star wars is just WoW with light sabers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wille1000 View Post
    I mean what the feck? Half of my friends r like meh i´ll stick to WoW even when I said what was coming.
    Why wouldn´t you want to get rid of the the holy trinity system?
    Why would you want to keep the boring never endless questing?

If you can name one thing that Wow is better then the featured GW2 has i´ll be surprised , if something it is the unique pvp that WoW has which is the only thing I enjoy.
    You know, it doesnt matter what "features" it might have if the implementation is bad. All these new mmos of course have all the "nice features" but then terribly fail at implementing them right. Most mmos suffer from terrible response time on spells and character movement is cluncky.

Deleted
    Personally I'll stay with WoW, unless something like Ultima Online will come. Ultima Online (ability choose, houses, pvp) with WoW engine (movement, etc) + decent graphic would be great.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charecters View Post
    Game looks like shit imo, WoW will be the top MMO untill they shut down the servers because they did everything right unlike other MMOs just trying to make a better one then Blizzard
    Quote Originally Posted by Charecters
    WoW is boring now, its so repetitive anymore. I think the only people who still play it are A) Have been playing wow for so long they dont wanna quit because it would of been the biggest waste of time in their life. B) They think wow is the best game ever and no other game is better. C) They just like to troll people.
    I'm impressed! At least gave me a good laugh though. :P

So one thing I don't get is, why are all the GW2 haters in the GW2 forums? If you don't like it...fine, but I don't think anyone cares how much you hate it or not. I'm not into SWTOR but I don't go in their forums posting endless texts about how dull I think SWTOR is. Different people different opinions!

I think a lot of people are just tired of trying new MMOs. Many of them were disappointing. I've stopped trying to convince friends to play a game. I let them know if I like it but that's about it. If GW turns out to be great, word of mouth will do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladuin View Post
    actually that happens in any guild, trying to get anyone to que up for weekly valor points becomes a hassle, not to mention if they did it earlier in the week or were on earlier than you for time, b/c ppl want to progress they wont wait on others to do weeklys for valor points or else there called bad players
    um, no. that would be the exact opposite of organize and serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Balfire View Post
    Care to explain?

Care to explain?
    it doesn't. he's simply contextualizing the holy trinity class system as it exists in warcraft. which while wildly popular is not the only game to use such a system or the first.

Care to explain?
    rift uses the holy trinity and has dynamic events, tanks would grab mobs, healers would heal them and dps would go to town, but i wouldn't see much difference between that and raids of wow

I don't necessarily dislike the holy trinity setup, but it does at times limit both players and encounters. It also tends to create a bit of tension in communities (ie, arguments about what role is harder, etc).

On the other hand, I can't really visualize how, in the 5 man setups they'll be using, there won't be more pressure on some players than others in a given instance.. unless the idea of threat is going to completely be thrown out the window.

I can only speak for myself, I can't recall the last game that has looked quite this impressive and FUN based on pre-release information.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

how many players as a % are probably in a "serious guild" though? that is the underlying issue. when i used to play there were usually around 3-5 serious guilds per faction. /shrug
    Last edited by Odeezee; 2012-01-15 at 06:22 PM.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Care to explain?
    As stated by a previous poster, no matter the mechanics involved with a holy trinity system in place boss fights go like this.
    Tank gets aggro
    DPS zerg boss
    Healers play Whack-a-mole
    Dead boss. Loot.
    I'm surprised its you asking since you posted the video which explains it perfectly.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed this system for years and it works, but its stale and repetitive, and limits what you can do with an encounter.
    Last edited by Balfire; 2012-01-15 at 06:25 PM.

It is the most anticipated game of 2012 even though it is in strictly closed beta.

Many people are exited about it, Some are not. From those who are not, some will become exited, some won't. The game however is bound to be hugely popular but if you are asking for unquestioned dominance in the gaming industry you won't see that.
    80 Orc Hunter
    80 Tauren druid
    80 Tauren Warrior
    80 Orc Warlock
    80 Blood elf Death knight
    To Be continued...

As stated by a previous poster, no matter the mechanics involved with a holy trinity system in place boss fights go like this.
    Tank gets aggro
    DPS zerg boss
    Healers play Whack-a-mole
    Dead boss. Loot.
    I'm surprised its you asking since you posted the video which explains it perfectly.
    How is that dynamic, and how does living without this prevent dynamic gameplay? I think it even does the opposite.

Deleted
    If I want to play dynamic game, I play Diablo.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladuin View Post
    serveral reasons
    1.) if tank fails then whole encounter is a wipe
    2.) the lfd wait time for dps vs tank and healer, then ppl who complain when you go tank and dont have perfect gear
    3.) design philosophy of cataclysm, tanks get one shotted by almost everything, and only two resses in 10 man and 4 in 25 man
    And I like it that way. Responsibility is bigger, and all have to do different jobs. Fight must be perfect (btw - in 10 man there is only 1 cr).

And that's better than pinata boss fighted by 10 inresponsible for nothing guys.