Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    I totally can acknowledge the challenge coming from "solving" the dungeons. But.. it was just not my cup of tea. I didn't like the fact I needed to change the build by 180 degrees every time I wanted to do a dungeon. Sure, they were your "all in one" builds, but in most cases they were sub optimal at best and you were making the game harder than it should be.
    That's fine. I was mererly stating my enthusiasm for GW1. Changing builds constantly is awesome for me. It's what draws me to FF11, ROM and Rift.

Absolutely love complex systems. Love that style.

2 things may turn people off at first "sight".

1: GuildWars --> "2" <--, probably not so great to give a "new" game a "sequel" name. It kinda turns your vibe, especially if not played first GW.
    2: Free to Play, quite common knowledge what F2P games usually end up to doing to get cash. And the quality may differ when no streaming cash flow.

I´m still quite worried about these 2... Let´s see what happens when released, it may be the end of my MMORPG days.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    There are teleport spots, just like rift (Think ember isle). No need for mounts for a speed increase.
    Dont think you get the point. I consider mounts to be a part of classic sword and magic games. For me a MMO without these is like a MMO without sword - or Magic. Thats why I wont play GW2. I do not care about waypoint systems. All they do is to remove any immersion of traveling in a "real" world.

Quote Originally Posted by Elixor View Post

1: GuildWars --> "2" <--, probably not so great to give a "new" game a "sequel" name. It kinda turns your vibe, especially if not played first GW.
    2: Free to Play, quite common knowledge what F2P games usually end up to doing to get cash. And the quality may differ when no streaming cash flow.

I´m still quite worried about these 2... Let´s see what happens when released, it may be the end of my MMORPG days.
    League of legends is F2P.
    Gw2 is B2P, you will not get the game for free, you have to buy it before you can play it.
    Be patience I am dyslexic..

Mists of Wet Panda Noodle island till GW2 Launches.

then, because GW2 has no monthly, GW2 and wow (unless gw2 really is so awsumly amazing that i actuaily lose interest in wow.)

i really have quite a bit of interest in both GW2 and D3
    Till water is gone, Till shade is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath. To spit in Sightblinders eye on the last day.

Deleted

1. I dunno. That's like saying people will be put off from playing Skyrim if they hadn't played any of the other Elder scroll games.
    2. GW1 didn't sell anything in its shop that gave anyone an ingame advantage, why should GW2? Also, the devs have already stated that they will only sell cosmetic items. Btw, it's B2P not F2P.

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    let me introduce the both of you to something that will alleviate your fast travel concerns: GW2 Waypoint System
    Excellent point, however when combining:

"In some areas, if a waypoint is taken over by a mob of enemies during a dynamic event, no one will be able to access that waypoint until the conquered area is liberated." (direct quote from your link)

And:

"What we do know is that devs say it will take 15 mins to run from one side of a zone to another in a straight line."

From: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/zoningi-t15837.html

You may end up running for 10 - 15 minutes to get to a waypoint in order to take it back unless I'm simply misunderstanding something. If you had a land mount with 2x running speed that brings it down to 5 - 7.5 minutes meaning I spend more time playing and less time running. I'm not saying I won't get GW2 because of lack of mounts. That was another person. I'm just saying that a single double speed land mount could still come in handy at some point in the game...say, after you have discovered 90% of the map and reached level X. I don't care about flying mounts nor do I want them, but something to speed up the parts where no action is happening would not go unappreciated by me. I would actually be completely satisfied if the mount was only available in the PvE world and not at all in WvWvW where running from point A to point B could be incredibly dangerous.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    People cannot stop and realize why no mounts might actually make the game better. Honestly, how 'immersive' is it to have any mount just 'appear'. If anything, this is a new fantasy world where the denizens may of said "hey these way points make mounts obsolete!" "Sure beats having to maintain a creature to simply get to point a from point b!" I am sure you will still have your novelty pets if anything. This is not Earth, this is not Azeroth. This is Tyria.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tibben View Post
    Excellent point, however when combining:

"In some areas, if a waypoint is taken over by a mob of enemies during a dynamic event, no one will be able to access that waypoint until the conquered area is liberated." (direct quote from your link)

And:

"What we do know is that devs say it will take 15 mins to run from one side of a zone to another in a straight line."

From: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/zoningi-t15837.html

You may end up running for 10 - 15 minutes to get to a waypoint in order to take it back unless I'm simply misunderstanding something. If you had a land mount with 2x running speed that brings it down to 5 - 7.5 minutes meaning I spend more time playing and less time running. I'm not saying I won't get GW2 because of lack of mounts. That was another person. I'm just saying that a single double speed land mount could still come in handy at some point in the game...say, after you have discovered 90% of the map and reached level X. I don't care about flying mounts nor do I want them, but something to speed up the parts where no action is happening would not go unappreciated by me. I would actually be completely satisfied if the mount was only available in the PvE world and not at all in WvWvW where running from point A to point B could be incredibly dangerous.
    What you just described is the worst case scenario. There are multiple waypoints in a zone, unless every single one is taken then there is no way that you would have to run for such a long time. Also waypoints being captured is a form of punishment, having mounts would negate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadanon View Post
    Dont think you get the point. I consider mounts to be a part of classic sword and magic games. For me a MMO without these is like a MMO without sword - or Magic. Thats why I wont play GW2. I do not care about waypoint systems. All they do is to remove any immersion of traveling in a "real" world.
    i'd understand that if you could at least fight while mounted in MMOs but i have yet to see anything like that.
    traveling doesn't require a mount one bit and i hardly see how immersion would be affected by not having mounts when you actually have to travel the world through and through to discover places.

it's your right to be nitpicky on such a tiny detail, you don't agree with their vision of the game and don't want to buy it because of that, do as you please i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    i'd understand that if you could at least fight while mounted in MMOs but i have yet to see anything like that.
    traveling doesn't require a mount one bit and i hardly see how immersion would be affected by not having mounts when you actually have to travel the world through and through to discover places.

it's your right to be nitpicky on such a tiny detail, you don't agree with their vision of the game and don't want to buy it because of that, do as you please i guess.
    You could fight on a mount in AoC (although it was limited). Really AoC was the one mmo in which I really did enjoy the mounts. The mounting animations were very nice.

However, I dislike the use of mounts as just a speed prop.

Deleted
    SWTOR would barely run on my comp, from what i've seen of GW2 i dont have any chance of playing it without throwing out this useless piece of junk i've got atm

I also get the feeling that the community will be horrible. On Rift it gets frustrating when people log on and start comparing things to wow or even just spend all their time slagging the game off about things wow does better but at least there they have to pay a subscription before they can do it so it kind of keeps them away to a certain extent. I just get the feeling that these wierdos that go around trolling will have a field day just spamming constantly on GW2 where they can just buy it once and log on whenever they wish.

People should remember that GW2 doesn't really have any point A to point B content outside of maybe the Personal Story, so you're not going to be running around from point a to point b, back to point a and now out to point c. GW2 is more like a crossbreed between a Themepark and a Sandbox...so Themebox? Sandpark? Content isn't static and you won't know what's going on until you actually arrive creating a sense of a living breathing world, not a game built like a laundrylist. Blowing through the world on a mount serves no purpose because you don't really have anywhere specific that you have to get to and for the times that you do you have the waypoint system. Thankfully, ANet has said no flying mounts, ever.

---------- Post added 2012-01-20 at 10:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
    SWTOR would barely run on my comp, from what i've seen of GW2 i dont have any chance of playing it without throwing out this useless piece of junk i've got atm

I also get the feeling that the community will be horrible. On Rift it gets frustrating when people log on and start comparing things to wow or even just spend all their time slagging the game off about things wow does better but at least there they have to pay a subscription before they can do it so it kind of keeps them away to a certain extent. I just get the feeling that these wierdos that go around trolling will have a field day just spamming constantly on GW2 where they can just buy it once and log on whenever they wish.
    Actually ANet tests GW2 on video cards so old they have to get them on ebay, that's 2002/2003 hardware. What makes GW2 look so good is their art design, not tech. In regards to the community, the GW1 community is fantastic, of course you have your occasional idiot, but every game has those. Really though, you're letting something that you think MIGHT happen prevent you from buying a game, something that is unavoidable? Just ignore the idiots, don't let them ruin something for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Soutalgon View Post
    People cannot stop and realize why no mounts might actually make the game better. Honestly, how 'immersive' is it to have any mount just 'appear'. If anything, this is a new fantasy world where the denizens may of said "hey these way points make mounts obsolete!" "Sure beats having to maintain a creature to simply get to point a from point b!" I am sure you will still have your novelty pets if anything. This is not Earth, this is not Azeroth. This is Tyria.
    In a world where people can disappear, shoot fireballs from their hands, fire 50 arrows in 5 seconds and throw up an energy shield that blocks anything from hitting them, I think animals appearing out of thin air is hardly the least "immersive" thing. Also, I'm not saying that GW2 will suck without mounts or that no one could possibly enjoy playing it without them. If the waypoints are plentiful and in good locations then mounts may actually be completely useless. But if there is one area of the game that I constantly find myself in where I have to do the same run over and over to continue progressing because the nearest waypoint is 7 or 8 minutes from where I need to be I will probably be thinking, "Man, I wish I had a mount".

That's all I'm saying. If you feel differently then that is your opinion and you are free to hold onto it as tightly as you wish. But you can't tell me I am wrong on something that is completely subjective without sounding like a fanatic. It's like telling me that blue can't be my favorite color because your favorite color is magenta. Blue lovers and magenta lovers can actually co-exist!

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    1. I dunno. That's like saying people will be put off from playing Skyrim if they hadn't played any of the other Elder scroll games.
    2. GW1 didn't sell anything in its shop that gave anyone an ingame advantage, why should GW2? Also, the devs have already stated that they will only sell cosmetic items. Btw, it's B2P not F2P.
    1: It´s quite different with a MMORPG that should be kept alive for years. And a "sandbox", 1 player "console" game, play-win-quit. Hard to explain, hard to understand, lets just forget about this part then.

2: Yes, B2P, I wrote wrong. Tho, it doesn´t give them a "safe" cash flow for top notch game "value". It may dent the influence of the quality of the game, but we can only see that when the game is ON.

2: Yes, B2P, I wrote wrong. Tho, it doesn´t give them a "safe" cash flow for top notch game "value". It may dent the influence of the quality of the game, but we can only see that when the game is ON.
    I view it as the opposite. It gives them incentive to provide top notch quality in order keep people and have them buy their products. A sub based game sometimes seem like it promotes lazy practices (looking at you Blizz with your rehash content).

Quote Originally Posted by Soutalgon View Post
    PvP meng?

Are you the Soutalgon from Dunemaul way back in classic?

1: It´s quite different with a MMORPG that should be kept alive for years. And a "sandbox", 1 player "console" game, play-win-quit. Hard to explain, hard to understand, lets just forget about this part then.

Quite the contrary, GW1 revenue has been funding the entire development of GW2 and has been keeping NCSoft afloat all by itself. Also, subscription MMOs allow the developers to become lazy and complacent (looking at you Blizzard). You sit there and pay month after month just to access the servers, sometimes you get content and when you do you may not even want it, but you have to keep paying anyways. With B2P, the developers must create quality patches because if they don't then people are less likely to buy expansions, furthermore if they don't create quality expansions then no one will buy them and they lose their biggest source of revenue. So the B2P model forces developers to make quality content in order to get money and as gamers we get to play said quality content, it's a win/win for everyone.

I don't understand why some people aren't excited for a new MMO experience. And by "new" I don't just mean the same game with a different title and a few extra gimmicks added in, I mean a new MMO experience.

As for people sticking with WoW after the initial release, I see no problem with that. Especially not after what happened with ToR. If people want to wait and see how it turns out after the initial release then let them.

Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    has been keeping NCSoft afloat all by itself.
    Woah...where did you hear this? Anet and Paragon currently don't contribute a lot to their earnings, almost all their money come from Aion/Lineage 2 in South Korea and Japan (and the rest of Asia).