Old X-Wing/Tie Fighter/XvT player - Any current/last gen titles?

Hello,

I finally finished up Skyward Sword, and was looking for a new side game. I remembered how much I enjoyed the old school space combat sims. I logged more hours in XvT then I can remember, and would like to take a stab at it again.

Are there any titles that play similarly but are more current? Last time I tried to find people playing XvT years ago left me rather disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

Try SW:ToR At around 15 each character gets a ship and you can do space missions. You fly your ship similarly to those games but from 3rd person and must avoid debris, destory space stations, etc.

I was a fan of the first X-Wing, I loved that game. I spent so many hours flying the classic missions. I don't know anything like it now sadly, but if anyone does please let us know :P

Quote Originally Posted by Davisdoesdallas View Post
    Try SW:ToR At around 15 each character gets a ship and you can do space missions. You fly your ship similarly to those games but from 3rd person and must avoid debris, destory space stations, etc.
    Already tried it thanks. It isn't quite the same.
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

Deleted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJRWGdS9xOs maybe? i know its a racing game but i realy cant think of anything thats like the old tie fighter games they dont seem to make them anymore guess its becos the decline of arcades.

Quote Originally Posted by Davisdoesdallas View Post
    Sorry but thats not rogue squadron which is what hes looking for. Also a major reason i didnt jump onto the Tor bandwagon. Starwars game without intense fighter or space combat isnt a star wars game.

As for OP closest your gona get to this gen is Battlefront 2 the space missions, has some decent fighter combat. Other than that factor 5 has fucked us with no current gen Rogue squadron game. Even though it would be fucking amazing on current tech.

An update:

I just found Vega Strike. It's FOSS, its hyper realistic, and it has me addicted. It's actually even better (For my taste) then the X-Wing series (I *ADORE* the real-world physics, even if they are a pain to control)

I haven't tried any multi-player, as I'm still getting my space-legs, but so far it's keeping me occupied.

Edit: It's kinda slow to start, I spent the first half hour trying to figure out why I wasn't moving (Answer: I was moving, but not at "warp" speed, needed to turn on my SPEC drive, again, game is hyper realistic. You could sit there all day at full "impusle" and not even notice you moved relative to large, far away objects)

Then another couple hours doing silly milk runs, getting lost, restarting, going thru it all again. Was starting to get bored.

Then, as your "reps" start to work themselves out, you eventually tick somebody off, and they start comming for you. The game goes from repetitive queueing of tasks for your auto pilot to a fully featured space shooter that feels remarkably like X-Wing.

Very, very nice. I wouldn't recomend it if you didn't care for X-Wing, but if you loved the complexity of X-Wing, and wanted it expanded upon, you would be hard pressed to do better then Vega Strike.
    Last edited by Dariela; 2012-01-15 at 05:04 PM.