Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Like America really cares? We got our iPhone 4s, sounds like a personal problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by energumeno View Post
    Those children do not want to work, the want to be happy, a fucked up society pretty much MAKES them work. Some people could say this is the libertarian dream, a country where the government does not create school neither provides basic health care for the poor. Where it is nearly impossible to get a better life unless you are born into a rich family.
    China do not have free education and health care like US and many European countries do, if you want to go to school, you need money, if that child needed to go to work in the first place, very likely if he isn't working he wouldn't be able to go to school either, just starve. Now look at China on the world map, and population, it is NOT feasable to suddenly demand free education and such, it just isn't possible. China is developING, once it is fully developed it will start looking at these problems, but they need to get there first.

Implying laws for minimum wage is risk in China, many companies outsource to China due to it is cheap. If suddenly they put the price up, companies will start comparing, China, India, and other possibilities to get the best deal, chances are China will actually lose money if they imply a minimum wage law.

And be fair, the companies are not there to think for China's future, they are there to think for their company's future, which I totally agree, as they have their shareholders to answer to, it is their job, and their very own future depends on it. It is human nature to look after yourself first, and it is also nature for a company to look at its own profit figures (afterall they are not charity, they are there to make money), if you think companies should care about those ethics more than profits you are lying to yourself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggasson View Post
    Are you serious?
    If only the Joker's catchphrase was this instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    And a new low has been achieved by humanity today: supporting child labour. What's next, supporting pedophilia?
    Already happened, http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...9#.TwudYPkVc9u

Greece now see pedophilia as a disability and they get a higher disability pay than someone who did an organ transplant.

So pretty much they are paid to be a pedophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    China do not have free education and health care like US and many European countries do, if you want to go to school, you need money, if that child needed to go to work in the first place, very likely if he isn't working he wouldn't be able to go to school either, just starve. Now look at China on the world map, and population, it is NOT feasable to suddenly demand free education and such, it just isn't possible. China is developING, once it is fully developed it will start looking at these problems, but they need to get there first.

Implying laws for minimum wage is risk in China, many companies outsource to China due to it is cheap. If suddenly they put the price up, companies will start comparing, China, India, and other possibilities to get the best deal, chances are China will actually lose money if they imply a minimum wage law.

And be fair, the companies are not there to think for China's future, they are there to think for their company's future, which I totally agree, as they have their shareholders to answer to, it is their job, and their very own future depends on it. It is human nature to look after yourself first, and it is also nature for a company to look at its own profit figures (afterall they are not charity, they are there to make money), if you think companies should care about those ethics more than profits you are lying to yourself.
    Yes, they should care about those ethics more than profits. Underage labour has absolutely no place no matter where it happens. That's why there are laws protecting minors from that kind of abuse, einstein. Laws are to be followed.

Already happened, http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...9#.TwudYPkVc9u

Greece now see pedophilia as a disability and they get a higher disability pay than someone who did an organ transplant.

So pretty much they are paid to be a pedophile.
    That's not supporting pedophilia.
    Last edited by Knight Gil; 2012-01-14 at 10:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, they should care about those ethics more than profits.
    At this current economy climate, if they do that, there will be A LOT more companies folding and unemplyment rate would sky rocket.

See my other link above, it might have burst your last bit of faith in humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    http://www.apple.com/supplierrespons...y/reports.html

In 2011, we conducted 229 audits throughout our supply chain —an 80 percent increase over 2010 —including more than 100 first-time audits. We continue to expand our program to reach deeper into our supply base, and this year we added more detailed and specialized audits that focus on safety and the environment.

Apple-designed training programs have educated more than one million supply chain employees about local laws, their rights as workers, occupational health and safety, and Apple’s Supplier Code of Conduct.

Our audits have always checked for compliance with environmental standards. In 2011, in addition to our standard audits, we launched a specialized auditing program to address environmental concerns about certain suppliers in China. Third-party environmental engineering experts worked with our team to conduct detailed audits at 14 facilities. We uncovered some violations and worked with our suppliers to correct the issues. We will expand our environmental auditing program in the coming year.

We have a zero-tolerance policy for underage labor, and we believe our system is the toughest in the electronics industry. In 2011, we broadened our age verification program and saw dramatic improvements in hiring practices by our suppliers. Cases of underage labor were down significantly, and our audits found no underage workers at our final assembly suppliers.

We offer continuing education opportunities at our suppliers’ facilities free of charge. More than 60,000 workers have enrolled in classes to study business and entrepreneurship, improve their computer skills, or learn English. And the curriculum continues to expand. We’ve also partnered with some local universities to offer courses that employees can apply toward an associate degree.
    Was completely ignored, funny. I'm not in support of child labor in any way but there is also a truth that I don't live in this situation. I've gone through many hardships, mostly when I was a child, that were a result of being very poor. Because of that experience I could only imagine how much worse it would have been in a setting like some countries are, neither can most of you. You can't sit here rather you feel one way or the other and say with any credibility about how this and that is wrong. I'll remind you that when it comes down to it and it's either survive or perish, most will choose to act out of self preservation and do what they can.

The number of people who seem to think they're doing the right thing by supporting child labor is humorous. You can buy your iPhones all you want; I would too, but don't pretend you're doing anyone any favors.

Deleted
    At this current economy climate, if they do that, there will be A LOT more companies folding and unemplyment rate would sky rocket.
    I would, without a shadow of a doubt, rather vote for a government that cares about ethics more than profits.

Funny. That didn't happen when slavery ended. That didn't happen when child labour in the western world ended. That didn't happen after people started having protection from labour exploitation after the industrial revolution. And people have been using your argument over all that time. Besides, are you seriously implying that prohibiting those companies from exploiting children that work almost for free and giving those jobs to decently paid adults...there would be less jobs instead of more?

Dear sir, would you kindly stop saying such retarded bullshit?

<Infracted>
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-01-15 at 12:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    but don't pretend you're doing anyone any favors.
    I am doing the company a favour by buying their product, so they can continue to create better products in the future.

I never plan to buy my iPhone in order to support humanity.

We (the American citizens) were taught for the past 40 to 50 years that factory jobs are terrible ways to make a living only fit for the uneducated who will have no hope of social mobility. So now instead of something like a 2.5% or so unemployment rate thanks to a thriving manufacturing industry, we shipped all those jobs overseas and have somewhere around a hundred thousand unemployed/under-empoyed people with college degrees who could not even get a full-time job a WalMart or McDonalds because the degree makes them over-qualified.
    CPU - Intel i5-2500k w/Corsair H50 * MB - ASUS P67 Pro
    RAM - 8GB Mushkin PC-1600 * GPU - EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB
    SSD - Crucial M4 120GB SATA3 * HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA3

I never plan to buy my iPhone in order to support humanity.
    Then you are not the target of my post. Should have been obvious.

Not that an exchange of money for goods is a favor, anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny. That didn't happen when slavery ended. That didn't happen when child labour in the western world ended. That didn't happen after people started having protection from labour exploitation after the industrial revolution.
    I am sorry, I will go back and check, I didn't know when those happened we were also at a global economy recession at the time which you should thanks God when you are actually employed.

Besides, are you seriously implying that prohibiting those companies from exploiting children that work almost for free and giving those jobs to decently paid adults...there would be less jobs instead of more?
    If companies are folding, yes there will be less jobs.

Jobs don't appear out of no where, if a company is closing down, expect a fair number of people start going on benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogoball View Post
    We (the American citizens) were taught for the past 40 to 50 years that factory jobs are terrible ways to make a living only fit for the uneducated who will have no hope of social mobility. So now instead of something like a 2.5% or so unemployment rate thanks to a thriving manufacturing industry, we shipped all those jobs overseas and have somewhere around a hundred thousand unemployed/under-empoyed people with college degrees who could not even get a full-time job a WalMart or McDonalds because the degree makes them over-qualified.
    Oh, but child labour will solve unemployment and allow the creation of new companies and products.

DERP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogoball View Post
    I am sure if they agree with the same wages that they would have paid outsource (and assuming the law allows them), they happily keep the jobs in the US.

It is all about the money.

Deleted
    Disgusting.

FairTrade, that's what a huge company as Apple should aim at, just like Ben & Jerry's.

I am sorry, I will go back and check, I didn't know when those happened we were also at a global economy recession at the time which you should thanks God when you are actually employed.
    as far as I know, no global economy recession was caused by child labour

If companies are folding, yes there will be less jobs.
    absence of child labour is not the reason they are folding. Actually, it's the exact opposite. Because everyone buys from china, law-abiding companies don't sell as much. How the hell is that right, either ethically or economically?

This is relevant to the child labor topic.

Its like one of those NBC The More You Know things.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, but child labour will solve unemployment and allow the creation of new companies and products.

DERP
    In the factory point of view:

underage = cheaper > lower wages/salary > less company expenditure > assuming on same revenue figure, lower expenditure = more profit > more likely to survive.

In outsourcing company point of view:

lower manufacturing cost (especially early in the product life cycle since initial manufacturing cost are high and your aim is to bring them down as low and as quickly as possible) > higher margin > higher retain profit > more retained profit for future research and development for next product.

DERP indeed.