Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    You know, that's one of the most common mistakes anyone can make. Just because something is digital doesn't mean two cables are equal.

Different materials wear out at different rates over time. Different materials are more or less subjected to interference from outside sources. Different cables have different quality controls during the manufacturing process which might lead to substandard product outcomes.

Even though no cable should be worth that, and it certainly won't have any noticeable difference to a 40 dollar cable, it will have quite noticeable differences towards a, say, 10 dollar cable of unknown source.
    Digital does not suffer from interference, hence its digital. When I say it doesn't suffer from interference, I mean of course from noise.

They are most likely selling $5 cables for $1000 to see if anyone is dumb enough to buy them.

As someone who works in one of Europe's leading digital TV providers, and who is in touch with their issues as well as issues by other big companies such as Sky and NHK, I can tell you, that YES, on a digital signal.
    Would you explain then why digital TV on coaxial cable has perfect quality when the coaxial cable really, really sucks. You can't imagine how many things can distort the signal on these cables.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who works in one of Europe's leading digital TV providers, and who is in touch with their issues as well as issues by other big companies such as Sky and NHK, I can tell you, that YES, on a digital signal.

Do not pretend to know more about this issue than me, ok? Thank you very much.

Get two cables, one shoddy and one not, and you'll notice. Get the same cables and set your settop box on top of, say, a DVD recorder, and you might have interference in image quality on one cable but not another.

Come on man, if there was no danger of interference on digital cables then why does anything short of a UTP have shielding?
    as someone certified in digital electronics as well as computers and networking i can tell you with 100% accuracy that when dealing with a digital signal the medium does not matter, only the ability for the transmission to get from source to destination intact, other things such as attenuation come into play over long distances, but these are negated by the fact that digital signals can be amplified with no consequences

the only way for interference to affect a digital signal it to put the signal on an analog carrier wave with a modem, but then it's no longer digital, which is not the case with HDMI

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I'm sorry, but who are you?
    I'm sorry, I don't think I was clear in my previous post. I'm someone who works in this area and has done so for a long time. I've started eons ago in general TV tech support, and have been getting promoted constantly over the years. Is this enough for on-hands experience or do you need more?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    as someone certified in digital electronics as well as computers and networking i can tell you with 100% accuracy that when dealing with a digital signal the medium does not matter, only the ability for the transmission to get from source to destination intact, other things such as attenuation come into play over long distances, but these are negated by the fact that digital signals can be amplified with no consequences

the only way for interference to affect a digital signal it to put the signal on an analog carrier wave with a modem, but then it's no longer digital, which is not the case with HDMI
    EDIT: Yes, apparently needs more. I've got an engineering degree in computer science and IT, a masters degree in the same issue (specializing in distributed systems architecture, distributed and shared processing etc). I've experience both in theory AND in practice concerning several types of signal distribution methods as well.

So now what? Shall I scrounge up a wikipedia article? Certainly.

Do read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal-to-noise_ratio

Digital signals

When a measurement is digitised, the number of bits used to represent the measurement determines the maximum possible signal-to-noise ratio. This is because the minimum possible noise level is the error caused by the quantization of the signal, sometimes called Quantization noise. This noise level is non-linear and signal-dependent; different calculations exist for different signal models. Quantization noise is modeled as an analog error signal summed with the signal before quantization ("additive noise").

This theoretical maximum SNR assumes a perfect input signal. If the input signal is already noisy (as is usually the case), the signal's noise may be larger than the quantization noise. Real analog-to-digital converters also have other sources of noise that further decrease the SNR compared to the theoretical maximum from the idealized quantization noise, including the intentional addition of dither.

Although noise levels in a digital system can be expressed using SNR, it is more common to use Eb/No, the energy per bit per noise power spectral density.

The modulation error ratio (MER) is a measure of the SNR in a digitally modulated signal.
    Why is there a definition to measure signal quality over digitally distributed signals if it can't exist? Yes?

Why are there dozens of applications such as this http://www.arrisi.com/products/oss/s...e_advanced.asp package dealt at exactly examining signal quality over digital mediums?

Hell, let's look at it this way. Your internet. Is it DSL, CABLE (HFC) or pure fiber optic? In the latest cases, what need is there for approximately 3 millimeters of "stuff" (let's call it this way) when the cable itself has less than 1mm in diameter? Hey what do you know, it's SHIELDING!!!
    Last edited by Snorkle; 2012-01-14 at 10:14 PM.

haha these are funny as hell.

Here is a video for some other cables they have.. at about 1:43 is when the real features start coming out!

Also, the DBS device.. just wow! A cable "break in" device... WHAT??? cables need a break in time now? I love the line "this means that your interconnect cable with sound as good as possible, all the time, whether you leave your stereo on or not" ummm Great, my stereo will sound as good on as it does off??

I would suggest you don't let your company know how little you know about your job. Please explain how a signal composed of 1 or 0 can suffer from any interference, the exact thing that digital was designed to eliminate.

I pity the peasants that cannot afford diamond cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Bane Falcon View Post
    Reported for sales attempt, just like the rest of the chinese "Should my horror girlfriend wear this dress mask" posts.
    u really need 2 get a life...

< you need a break. >
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2012-01-14 at 10:26 PM.

I had a really good laugh after looking at that.

Then I came back to this thread and read these comments and became depressed again because of how many people didn't get this obvious joke.

No, it's not real.
    No, it's not a troll.
    No, it's not a scam.

ffs...this planet...

Also, the DBS device.. just wow! A cable "break in" device... WHAT??? cables need a break in time now? I love the line "this means that your interconnect cable with sound as good as possible, all the time, whether you leave your stereo on or not" ummm Great, my stereo will sound as good on as it does off??
    "Air tubes made with teflon. The inner diameter is greater than the outer diameter."
    "The cable is made of silver material product"

I drank some orange material product once... it didn't have any actual orange in it.

I do love the "cable break in device" part
    "It keeps the cable broken in at all times, whether you leave your stereo on or not"
    HE SAID IT WITH A 100% STRAIGHT FACE.

The cable has a DBS battery pack... you need to replace the battery in your cable!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kayko View Post
    Here is a video for some other cables they have.. at about 1:43 is when the real features start coming out!

He's referring to burn-in. Burn in is also snake oil to help relieve buyer's remorse. ( But sometimes it is genuine as there are inperfections in the circuit, on let's say an amp or an electrostatic speaker, something with high impedance)

Also I wouldnt be surprised if these cables were filled with happy pills or something.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Star Wars > Star Trek.

inc flamefest of nerds. lol
    it's time for u to get a life...

< it's time for you to take a break. >
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2012-01-14 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Velyndina View Post
    I had a really good laugh after looking at that.

Then I came back to this thread and read these comments and became depressed again because of how many people didn't get this obvious joke.

No, it's not real.
    No, it's not a troll.
    No, it's not a scam.

ffs...this planet...
    It may sound like a joke (and the reviews are indeed hilarious), but it is an actual product. Go to the BB link, attempt to buy one. BB will let you check out, and will indeed ship you one. I contacted a friend of mine that works at BB (great job, I know!), and he said special items like this come up all the time at BB. They usually aren't stocked in stores, and when someone does order them, BB orders from the manufacturer wholesale, takes a cut, then ships to you.

Amazon has more of a history of joke listings. This sadly, is not a joke listing.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So now what? Shall I scrounge up a wikipedia article? Certainly.
    LOL are you seriously suggesting Wikipedia always has correct information? XD
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Dravan View Post
    I would suggest you don't let your company know how little you know about your job. Please explain how a signal composed of 1 or 0 can suffer from any interference, the exact thing that digital was designed to eliminate.
    They know how much I know, thank you very much. Do check the links I included in my edit to the above post and you'll notice the "how little I know" actually is a lot more than the person I was quoting. By far.

It's not as simple as everyone thinks it is. You people assume things without knowing wtf you're talking about. Yes, as I mentioned in the initial post, most cables over a certain degree of quality will present no issue with image/signal degradation. Those below will. Something as simple as a small peak in electrical current voltage will cause a surge in TX (intensity of the actual signal being transmited) which can turn 0s into 1s (or vice versa if it is a drop in TX) which will cause a variation in SNR (signal to noise ratio as described above in the wikipedia article) which will cause CER (codeword error rate) which indeed may cause a degradation in image/signal quality.

EDIT: No, wikipedia isn't always right, but this time, it is. Want more websites? Want websites of companies whose product is indeed to obtain information of signal quality over digital mediums? What else do you want, exactly?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbletrance View Post
    "Air tubes made with teflon. The inner diameter is greater than the outer diameter."
    "The cable is made of silver material product"

I drank some orange material product once... it didn't have any actual orange in it.

I do love the "cable break in device" part
    "It keeps the cable broken in at all times, whether you leave your stereo on or not"
    HE SAID IT WITH A 100% STRAIGHT FACE.

The cable has a DBS battery pack... you need to replace the battery in your cable!!!
    but, but, but doesn't using common battery electrons degrade the sound and negate the teflon air tubes, what they need to use is a self charging 2uF flux capacitor

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dabs View Post
    it's time for u to get a life...
    living under a rock is having no life. Having a passion for something to the point it defines your life making you a "nerd" is a form of life.

I'll use my sister as an example. You ask her to name and point to 5 US states, she'll easily get 3. But if you ask he about reality tv, the newest apple product, or the lastest gossip she'll tell you everything you need to know........ shes a nerd. (and I tell her she has no life but go back to what i just typed and you see how I am wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by Masterpd85 View Post
    living under a rock is having no life. Having a passion for something to the point it defines your life making you a "nerd" is a form of life.

I'll use my sister as an example. You ask her to name and point to 5 US states, she'll easily get 3. But if you ask he about reality tv, the newest apple product, or the lastest gossip she'll tell you everything you need to know........ shes a nerd. (and I tell her she has no life but go back to what i just typed and you see how I am wrong)
    By this definition, everybody should be nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbletrance View Post
    It may sound like a joke (and the reviews are indeed hilarious), but it is an actual product. Go to the BB link, attempt to buy one. BB will let you check out, and will indeed ship you one. I contacted a friend of mine that works at BB (great job, I know!), and he said special items like this come up all the time at BB. They usually aren't stocked in stores, and when someone does order them, BB orders from the manufacturer wholesale, takes a cut, then ships to you.

Amazon has more of a history of joke listings. This sadly, is not a joke listing.
    That was directed at people calling the OP a troll, scam, etc..

The actual product is just sad lol.