Pheonix999

How to make WoW so smooth?

Hey guys,

I've seen a video on wcm of Khuna #4 (can't post links,yet), and he has extremely smooth WoW, I just want to know how can he has so smooth game.

I'm running on i5-2500k (4.4 Ghz OC), gtx 460, 8gb ram and I'm running solid 60+ fps in raids(with VSYNC off) (running on High settings, dx11, but with shadows on fair, my resolution is 2550x1440), but there are still some "little lags" and the game isnt so smooth as he has.

Even if I set up everything to low, my fps jumps up to 250 fps but the game still isnt so smooth as he has (I know human eye cant recognize more than 30 fps) but still, I cant see where is the problem. My internet connection is also good (atleast I think so) running at 40 - 60 ms (home + world are +- equal, also having the thingy in interface connection settings balance set to 40ms).

Thank you so much guys for ur answers!

PS: Sorry for my English, as u can see, English isnt my mature language.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right that does look remarkably smooth. Perhaps it is a function of the graphic card software? I really don't know, but someone else might. BUMP'ing this!

Edit: I just thought of this. Does your monitor go higher than 60hz on your current resolution? I'm guessing not because that is a bloody high resolution. Unless you can make it go higher than 60 then you will not benefit from having over 60FPS. That's how V-sync works, it limits your graphics card from producing more FPS than your monitor can show.
    Last edited by Nemefem; 2012-01-15 at 04:55 AM.

It looks like 1v1 in a small arena...This looks like my game recording walking around, except he is clearly below 1920x1080 in the video. Probably 1600x900 or so. 2550x1440 on a gtx 460 that just sounds not optimal. He has vsync off and playing at a lower resolution in a non crowded area, and what your seeing as smooth is his control of his camera. In all fairness camera control can change a noob to an allstar in wow. He has very smooth camera control, some players like myself use snappy camera motions like fps games. He is smoothly moving the camera which as i said in another post reduces blur and so on making it seem even better to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix999 View Post
    (I know human eye cant recognize more than 30 fps)
    Incorrect.

To answer your main question though, this was on his WCM page:
    For everyone that keeps asking me why my WoW is so smooth, it's mainly because I am using a 120Hz monitor (Samsung 2233RZ, probably isn't the best anymore though).
    Anyone that plays video games actively should get one of those imo.
    Super casual.

In arena's my game looks that smooth at 60hz, he definitely turns his camera alot slower than I do. I whip my camera around like im quickscoping, yea its a force habit.

The human visual system does not see in terms of frames; it works with a continuous flow of light information.[12] A related question is, “how many frames per second are needed for an observer to not see artifacts?” However, this question also does not have a single straight-forward answer. If the image switches between black and white each frame, the image appears to flicker at frame rates slower than 30 FPS (interlaced). In other words, the flicker fusion point, where the eyes see gray instead of flickering tends to be around 60 FPS (inconsistent). However, fast moving objects may require higher frame rates to avoid judder (non-smooth, linear motion) artifacts — and the retinal fusion point can vary in different people, as in different lighting conditions. The flicker-fusion point can only be applied to digital images of absolute values, such as black and white. Where as a more analogous representation can run at lower frame rates, and still be perceived by a viewer. For example, motion blurring in digital games allows the frame rate to be lowered, while the human perception of motion remains unaffected. This would be the equivalent of introducing shades of gray into the black–white flicker.
    Last edited by Milkshake86; 2012-01-15 at 07:29 AM.

He pretty much has 120 FPS (Monitor) all the time. That's double the usual frames so looks more "smooth". To be honest, I can barely see the difference, but that might just be because I'm used to how I play.

He's recording at 60 - 120fps. That's pretty much it, most videos are recorded at 30.

Motion blur + 60 FPS video rendering. That's the magic. Also makes it looks speed up . It's exactly what a 120hz screen is like.

---------- Post added 2012-01-15 at 04:53 PM ----------

Actually this brings nostaligia for my old CRT screen. It used to do this at 1600x1200

Pheonix999
    But this guy is also streaming, and its the same smoothness, so there isnt any rendering, motion blur or "effect" like you are saying that make such a smooth feel.

Than its prob. the 120 hz .

10+ Year Old Account
    But this guy is also streaming, and its the same smoothness, so there isnt any rendering, motion blur or "effect" like you are saying that make such a smooth feel.

Streaming quality is both the software he's using to stream, combined with the power of the desktop he's using and the connection speed.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

120hz cannot be reproduced on a 60hz screen ( like yours)

Deleted
    Try reducing your shadows quality to fair or good, that should help even out the frame rate. Also, if you are streaming, use one disk for wow one for fraps, and I don't mean 2 partitions, you need two separate disks. Also look into codecs and software for streaming, there is a lot of things you can do to alter the image quality and feel.

120hz would only changes the blur but he is not even moving fast so its negated right away.